Model Cars Magazine Forum

Diomond in the rough? Found this at a show today

Well I consider it my find of the day,I snagged this for 16 bucks.All I know is that it's based off of George Barris's "Kopper Kart" one of my favorite kustoms by him.The vendor said he thought it was made by R&R Vacuumform and that was all he knew.I have heard rumors about a resin company in the 80's that made the "Kopper Kart" but was sued by Barris.All I neeed to know is what do I have.

74DBF4DC-th.jpg130EB487-th.jpg695B40B-th.jpg90698690-th.jpgA19EFB1E-th.jpg85093551-th.jpg

P.S. One thing I have noticed is that a lot of little details are off.

Edited by Austin T

These thumbnails aren't opening into larger pics for me. Anyone else?

Me neither, and a bit smaller when I click on them.

I think it was R&R Vacuum Craft who made this resin kit. I recall R&R did kits of Roth's ill-fated Rotar and Barris' X-Pac "air" cars, too.

The Kopper Kart was cast by my late father........Ed Fluck Sr. He ran F&F Resin Casting. It must be somewhere around 10-12 years since he came out with it. I've been hoping to come across one of these castings for a while now since I don't have my dad's old molds for it; or the master; which might not of held up too well after all of these years; and the number of moves my parents made.

Ive heard a simalar story. R&R was politely told to stop casting that kit in the 80s. Of course, they didnt, so threats were made. My info is a little foggy, that was a long time ago. Ed, id love to purchase one from you if you ever cast it. Jay

PS, You gonna be in Fulton this month?

Edited by cooltoys1

Btw, my dad was never sued by Barris; but did make the mistake of contacting him! LOL! George wanted so much in royalties that my dad told him to take a hike.......which forever changed the way he thought of his childhood hero.

Not a surprise, Barris was always a business man first, and a customizer second. He's even taken credit for several cars that he had nothing to do with, when money and/or recognition is involved.

-MJS

Ed, id love to purchase one from you if you ever cast it. Jay

I'd love to, but as I mentioned earlier, I do not have a casting of it; nor do I have the old molds or master.

Here are some photos I had saved from someone else.......pretty sure it was built from my dad's resin kit; but it could have also been scratch built......don't know for sure.....I'll have to look through my cd's and see if I can find any of my dad's old photos of the kit spread out.

As far as R&R goes, he might have very well cast a Kopper Kart in the '80's........never saw one from him that I can recall though. I'm sure my dad's was pretty spot on though.

043009GSLXXII108vi-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

photos120041-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

photos120042-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

photos120045-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

I can see some differances in my resin body and the one you posted. the hood bludes are a big bigger on mine, yours has the leather roof on it,the copper peiceon the side that says barris kustoms is entirely different with mine,and the front grille on mine is very incorrect.But then again those cold have been changed by the builder of the model you posted or the guy that had the one I had before me.

To the best of my knowledge of model car history the Bob Barnett Kopper Kart (shown above) was completely hand made/kitbashed/scratchbuilt, etc.. No resin castings in that build at all. Mark Gustavson would be the expert on this though.

Either way, what you have is a great find, especially for only $16.

He's even taken credit for several cars that he had nothing to do with, when money and/or recognition is involved.

although he won't out and out lie, he's often incorrectly credited with creating some designs. He was commissioned to build a Knight Rider replica and suddenly he's the 'creator' of the KITT! (which is not correct)

AS evil and wicked George may be , he still is a hero to me . As far as being a Businessman I am just

as evil . I was only loyal to my Employers until I found what I really wanted or I could find more

money / Benefits for my talents elsewhere . My parents , like I'm sure George's , trained me in the

advantages or Living /Sleeping Indoors . Those regular meals were just the ticket too ! He paid others to do work he was responsible for plus deliver : right and on time . I never heard or read of any

Competitor or other Shop , that he paid for the work to get done , being totally unhappy . He and Sam

could not do all of the work themselves they attracted . This is called "Farming Out " . I am unaware

of any complaints about out the money the others were paid . Neither about the Quality or Quantity of

said cash . Some of the Smaller Shops kept the doors open with Barris's Cash Flow . Barris work had a

good reputation and kept this ! Deservedly so ; IMHO . I hope this is not taken as a rant . The truth

sometimes hurts . Sorry if figuring out what the Movie / TV Show people want to put on film and Fabricating workable , usable moving "props" is wrong ????? They sure as heck don't know ! When they see it , it sure is right . Just watch Las Vegas , a new Show this Fall . It occures in 1 9 6 0 . The good guy

drives a '69 Dodge pickup . Constantly I view 62 & '63 Police cars . Taxies , circa '66 & '67 MoPar

Four Doors . Paid professional Technical Directors do this ?? Thanx ..