Model Cars Magazine Forum

Super Super Tire Thread - Good tires and Where to Find Them.

They exist! Goodyear Eagle ST big 'n' littles, found in the Revell-Monogram Pro Modeler '40 Ford Convertible:

The execution is a bit lacking though, as the tread grooves look a bit too wide, the raised band on the sidewall should be flush with the rest of the sidewall, and the raised tires size characters didn't survive the molding process.

Those tires with the Goodyear lettering can also can be found in older issues of the '34 Ford Snap kit. They're a bit funky because the inside of the tire is a larger size than the outside due to the design of the wheels. Not sure if they're the same way in the '40 Ford, but I would think so, they look like the exact same tire.

• 3 weeks later...

Kinda surprised to not see any of Aoshima's tyres in here yet. I found a few pics on my computer, so I thought I'd post 'em up.

Here's one of their 18" tyres, I was very pleased with the sharpness of the details.

804262_619928351366010_210256352_n_zpsbf

803452_619928878032624_1489707881_n_zps5

Here's their 19" tyre also. A little flash on some tyres, but the crisp detail more than makes up for that in my opinion.

862272_619936058031906_541250972_n_zps05

I have a few more photos lying around here somewhere too, I'll post those up when I find them.

Kinda surprised to not see any of Aoshima's tyres in here yet. I found a few pics on my computer, so I thought I'd post 'em up.

Here's one of their 18" tyres, I was very pleased with the sharpness of the details.

Here's their 19" tyre also. A little flash on some tyres, but the crisp detail more than makes up for that in my opinion.

They are great looking tires, but they have limited appeal and use due to the low profile etc. But I agree, VERY nice sidewall detail and treads.

• 1 year later...

I don't see anyone having posted this before. Firestone Deluxe Champion from AMT 66 Buick Riviera. Looks very nice with separate whitewall insert and nice sidewall and threadpattern. Even the rims look very good.

I never had the kit but got a set of these wheels in a trade. Had(and still have) plans on using them on a 55 Suburban.

IMG_5821.jpg

IMG_5810.jpg

DSC04283.jpg

I saw someone post some Pegasus tires, so I assume these'll be OK. They're probably the best Radial T/As you'll ever come across and they're made by our own Chief Joseph. The tire depicted is cast in white resin and painted. Sand the tops of the letters off and voila!

FMR-022_painted.jpg

They're available in a number of sizes and 2 compounds. He's also got some white outline tires that are perfect for mid-'80s cars (Monte Carlo SS etc).

Find these tires, wheels and more here http://www.fireballmodels.info/

Edited by Monty

This set is found in Revell's '65 Chevy pickup, a great looking set of big & littles!

ToneysTributeTruck005-vi.jpg

Good looking tread, and the set even comes with a set of disc brakes all the way around!

ToneysTributeTruck488-vi.jpg

And the kit they come in...these tires and rims are about the best things in the box sadly! The engine is great, but the cab is usually warped, and the bed has bulges all over the place, don't even get me started on the 4-piece hood!

ToneysTributeTruck001-vi.jpg

Edited by Custom Mike

• 1 year later...

OK ON those MPC/AMT BF Goodrich hollow tires

They started in Late 70's 78 or 79, and ran thru the 80s

BUT Those in the Omni.Chargers and Toyotas are Smaller than those in the Camaros & Trans Ams!!!

I have versions of the Charger (Red 2.2) and MANY T/A's (K.I.T.T) and an Indy Pace car 82 Camaro

so I do know that I am correct on the tire sizes

One thing I did find

The Original issue of AMT's Ecto-1a from Ghostbusters 2 shows

T/A Radials on the Actual car, but the kit has the Hollow Goodyears tires

They are slightly larger in diameter and a better fit for the build, but......
I believe Chief Joseph makes the correct BFG's for the Ecto-1a

But as I can not afford to buy any, I do not know how acurate they are

I narrowed a set of the hollow Goodyears from the kit and removed the lettering to make BFG's for mine

Edited by Edsel-Dan

Joseph's (Fireball Modelworks) items are probably the most accurate items available in scale. I have a number of his tires and resin pieces and can attest to the quality and accuracy. He has a great website with photographs of all items and provides dimensions for his products. Way above average service as well. 

%5BURL=http://s966.photobucket.com/user/erikmsmith/media/DSCN0010_zpsce92a5a6.jpg.html]

Wheels and tires from Fireball Modelworks