Model Cars Magazine Forum

New Drag parts...New Blower Hat, 12/11/12

While working on getting the TEM resin line back in gear and available to the public again I have also decided to start creating some new parts for the line. Hopefully, within the next month or so I will have a website created to display everything available.

Meanwhile, here is the first new part that I am working on. I received a large lot of Renshape from Chris when I took over the TEM line and have never used any of it until now. I don't know what I was waiting for as this stuff is so easy to work with. For anyone that doesn't know Renshape is a lightweight composite/wood material that can be used to create parts to be used as master for casting.

So I went from this........

20121111_115902_362-vi.jpg

To this..........

20121111_115718_716-vi.jpg

20121111_115732_537-vi.jpg

20121111_115838_279-vi.jpg

And after mocking it on a body you can see that I still have some adjustments to make, such as cutting the bottom down and giving the scoop a wedge shape towards the rear of the scoop.

20121111_120043_284-vi.jpg

20121111_120057_395-vi.jpg

I'm liking how this is coming out and for anyone interested I have plenty of additional scoops planned for future designs as well. I'm also hoing to focus on the smaller, sportsman style scoops as well.

Edited by 1320wayne

Man Wayne, I've been wanting Ren-shape also...the cost is keeping me at bay...for now. Do you have to clear coat it or prime it before casting? That scoop is looking pretty dang cool!!

I use a primer coat on this material as it will help you see any final imperfections that may need smoothing and it also gives the part a smooth coat as the bare renshape is a tiny bit grainey.

I made some added adjustments to the scoop to reduce the heighth of the scoop.

20121112_092754_623-vi.jpg

20121112_092725_803-vi.jpg

Wayne great job and looks amazing! I have always wanted to play around with Renshape but could not find anyone selling it in "hobby" sized pieces at a reasonable cost. Any tips on locating it?

Man Wayne, I've been wanting Ren-shape also...the cost is keeping me at bay...for now. Do you have to clear coat it or prime it before casting? That scoop is looking pretty dang cool!!

Try www.freemansupply.com they have a starter/sampler kit that only retails for about $25, and it includes multiple pieces of different grades of Renshape.

I like it. Just seems a bit to tall though. Is that the finished piece or is there more work to do on it. I will be interested in a bunch when they are ready.

I still have a few small tweaks to make on this one but that is pretty much the size of the scoop. It is actually perfect for what it represents but remember one thing. The picture I've shown has the scoop sitting on the hood of a body that has not had an area cut out for the scoop to set down inside so when it is used on a project it will sit just a bit lower in the body and should present a better look.

Now, here is another one that I started working on today, and this is how far I've gotten so far. This scoop is more for the sportsman ranks, primarily rear engine super comp. dragsters or altereds. It is also a look from back in the 70's, 80's era that was used on quite a few cars. I still have more work to do to this one to get that "just right" look.

20121113_180804_447-vi.jpg

20121113_180813_62-vi.jpg

Renshape is great stuff guys . I have used this stuff for years at work . Just paint it like you do anything else. No grain like wood ,bondo filler sticks to it ,super glue or 5 minute epoxy to glue it ,you can tap it ,it floats (fishing lures) you can use a heat gun to bend it somewhat . The only thing with this stuff is you should use a dust collector or sand outside . It is also a little hard on your tools ( takes the edge off faster than wood ) but will not make them rust. Good to all of you guys trying this stuff and the hood scoops like great Wayne .

I forgot to add this can be turned in a lathe for tires also.

Edited by 1930fordpickup

• 2 weeks later...

Here are pics. of three new blower hats just completed. The first is a two-port "shotgun" style blower hat followed by two four port, square blower hats. One large and one small. All three of these are done as two pieces. The front face of each blower is separate to enable me to cast them easier and with minimal casting issues/defects. These are all 1/25th scale.

20121129_143951_241-vi.jpg

20121129_144242_402-vi.jpg

20121129_144200_467-vi.jpg

20121129_144222_112-vi.jpg

20121129_144102_505-vi.jpg

20121129_144230_412-vi.jpg

Edited by 1320wayne

I still have a few small tweaks to make on this one but that is pretty much the size of the scoop. It is actually perfect for what it represents but remember one thing. The picture I've shown has the scoop sitting on the hood of a body that has not had an area cut out for the scoop to set down inside so when it is used on a project it will sit just a bit lower in the body and should present a better look.

Now, here is another one that I started working on today, and this is how far I've gotten so far. This scoop is more for the sportsman ranks, primarily rear engine super comp. dragsters or altereds. It is also a look from back in the 70's, 80's era that was used on quite a few cars. I still have more work to do to this one to get that "just right" look.

20121113_180804_447-vi.jpg

20121113_180813_62-vi.jpg

Maybe this will help with sales when done

DynoDonandGrump.jpg

Edited by tbusch

Wayne the scoops look awsome. I can't see the shape that you started with. What tools are you using to shape the scoops. I think I see some minor file marks.

You are seeing high res. pics. using my smart phone as well as early masters shots. All final cast pieces are nice and smooth.