Model Cars Magazine Forum

Why do we smoke?

I feel a lump in my thoat for about the last two months so I figured it was time to give up cigaraettes. Also, my head just feels wrong in the mornings. I am now on day 10. Getting so hard. They told me the first few days were the hardest but I thought were actually the easiest. For me, day six and on were beginning to get tough. Never knew how dangerous this product is until you try to stop.

Edited by Harry P.

Dude I quit cold turkey last January and haven't looked back. My lovely wife inspired me by quitting one year ago this month. She helped me quite a bit.

Her support consisted of comments like: "If you smoke, I'll punch you in the head". Good Chicago native such as she doesn't mince words. I quit.

G

Been using a E-cig, or electronic Cigarette, for almost a year now,,and feel better, and Noticed

that Cig smoke really sticks, no weight gain, I tried everything before the E-cig, and had no luck.

Plus my wife uses one also, save 4 hundred a month too,(more for models) Maybe you should try one.

Tried the Cold turkey thing, about killed everybody that said Hi to me, Plus my Doctor is proud of me

Try one,,cause cold turkey, pills, patch didn't do the treat, Even used it in the Hosptil cause they

are vapor, and won't hurt anyone... Good Luck

Back when I was in high school one of my car buddys little kid sister used to come out and bother us in the garage. She died from lung cancer this last August at 53 years old. Her last year wasn't pretty, when I wen't over to see her back in June I drove the same car I had in school to show it to her. She couldn't get out of bed so her husband took some phone pictures to show to her.

Light 'em up guys.

I tried quitting over the summer. Stopped cold turkey after fifteen yrs smoken. I lasted a month and three days and went and got a pack of smokes. Haven't stopped smoking yet. I know its not good for me but man I wanted to kill everything around me too. I was eating everything I could get my hands on and never satisfied. I couldn't find any enjoyment out of anything either. Just peest off all the time! The day I started back up I was three days into my vacation for crying out loud. I was told it would get easier. Didn't see that happening. I was also told by people that had stopped for twenty years and went back cause the craving had never gone away. I'm thinking of trying the e-cig. I know a handful of people that went to them and heard a lot of the same.

My Mom's ex husband is on the e cig, and hasn't smoked a real cig for quite some time now. Says he feels a ton better.

His brother went to a hypno therapist 9 yrs ago, and hasn't smoked since. I'm gonna give the e cig a try, and see what happens.

Corey

I use to smoke but had Strep Throat and didn't smoke for 3 weeks to get better.

Smoking after not smoking for 3 weeks really made me quit.

Dang, that tasted awful and don't know why I started..

Besides, have you ever seen a smoker and said to yourself, That looks Sexy??

Probley not..

I quit cold turkey back in 1975, and haven't smoked one since. That was when mrs warra and I were married. She's never been a smoker, ever.

I can smoke the occasional Cuban or pipe, and it doesn't create any cravings.

Now, I do love my pint of beer every day, as I have a home brewery in my garage, but I can limit myself to the one pint a day. Maybe I just don't have an addictive nature.

OK, here's an old joke:

Question: Do you smoke after sex?

Answer: I don't know, I never looked.

Edited by warra48

Been using a E-cig, or electronic Cigarette, for almost a year now,,and feel better, and Noticed

that Cig smoke really sticks, no weight gain, I tried everything before the E-cig, and had no luck.

Plus my wife uses one also, save 4 hundred a month too,(more for models) Maybe you should try one.

I have several friends that have stopped now using this e-cig. Seems to be a fairly easy and stress free way to quit.

My folks smoked when I was a kid, until my dad had a heart attack at 39 years old. He called it "Gods wake up call" and they both quit cold turkey. I give them both a lot of respect for being able to do so.

For the sake of the people who love you, give 'em up guys.

It's been 4 years now since I quit my 2 pack a day habit and I congratulate all those that just stopped. I used Chantix which is amazing stuff. My desire just disappears with that stuff. This is the real deal if you need to stop! The trouble now is I cheat and have a pack every few months because it's so easy to stop again with the Chantix!

I quit back on 4/21/88 with the help of a program called "Smoke Stoppers" at a local hospital. Best $125.00 I ever spent. I have had exactly two cigarettes since then and that's more than enough. I have seen cigarettes kill too many people in my family- my parents, my wife's parents, uncles, neighbors, friends... My sincere good luck to all of you who want to or are trying to quit; I know it's not easy.

I think the best bet is to talk to your doctor and then try everything until you find something that works. I ended up using Welbutrin, it reduces the desire to yell at everyone you see. I also used patches, and nicotine lozenges. The hardest part is mental, the desire to smoke for smoking's sake, not for the nicotine. Those e-cigs might be really good for that. I am currently gnawing on toothpicks at a rate that has deforested several acres. The most important thing is to keep trying, most folks don't make it the first time. As Mark Twain said, quitting is easy, I've done it hundreds of times.

I never picked up the habit. The only time I ever smoked at all was a couple of clove cigarettes around some of my friends, but that wasn't a common thing. The best anti-smoking information came from my dad. He's ex-military, smoked most of his adult life. He told me once if he ever caught me with a cigarette in my mouth, he'd kill me. I believe that. :)

I quit cold turkey about three years ago after smoking for over 15 years. I watched my grandmother die in a hospital bed from smoking. She was about 90 lbs and was in the fetal position and her whole body would rise and fall with every breath. She was laying there fighting for every bit of oxygen she could get. Then, about 6 months later we went camping (and what's camping without drinking and chain-smoking) and I layed in the tent trying to sleep all night long and I felt like I couldn't breathe just like my grandmother. It felt like breathing through a straw. It scared the hell out of me and I quit the next day and have never looked back. It's a nasty habit, it stinks, it's expensive and IT WILL KILL YOU!

Quit now!