Model Cars Magazine Forum

Monogram '53 Corvette vs AMT '53 Corvette?

Aaronw

These are some shots of the Monogram and Revell 1/24 corvette kits.

The Monogram kit has most parts in red plastic, the body/hood in white and chrome parts. The hood on mine is too small for the opening but overall the details are nice. The Revell version is molded all in white and chrome, and the hood fits a little better but still too small. Hope you can see enough details to compare.

DSCF0131_zpsd85dee57.jpg

DSCF0132_zps1bf563b2.jpg

DSCF0133_zps6b1d5e4f.jpg

DSCF0135_zps689166de.jpg

DSCF0137_zpsb7d93ca7.jpg

DSCF0138_zps36efa5e8.jpg

DSCF0139_zps5e58bed7.jpg

DSCF0140_zpsaa3aa994.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

I have experience with three of the '53 Corvette kits being discussed. A number of years ago after recently returning to the hobby, I decided to build a '53 Corvette for my brother as he often said how much he liked the first Corvettes [i later found out he meant the '56 & '57 Vettes]. Anyway, I remember being in the hobby shop and trying to decided between the AMT and Monogram. As a kid I had always favored AMT but the salesperson convinced me the Monogram kit might be a better choice. Both myself and my brother were very pleased with how the model turned out. I made my own mesh headlight covers that were better than what comes in the kit but not accurate. I used the excellent Model Car Garage photo-etched covers on a later custom project.

I am currently working on a trans-kit project that specifies the use of the AMT kit. I have to say it is an OK kit but I definitely prefer the Revell/Monogram for the body and trim items in particular. Something I do really like about the AMT kit however, is the very cool looking up-top and side curtains. By coincidence I am also helping a nine year nephew build the AMT Snap '53 Corvette. I consider this a great snap kit for a beginner and think in many ways results in a more realistic looking '53 Corvette than the AMT glue kit.

• 1 year later...

I don't know if this exactly fits with topic be discussed here or not? But, does anybody know if anybody has made a model of the 1954 Corvette Corvair fastback coupe show car? Or is there a conversion kit for either the AMT or Monogram kits to convert them into the Corvair? Also how about the '54 Corvette "Waldorf" Nomad?

Scott Aho

I don't know if this exactly fits with topic be discussed here or not? But, does anybody know if anybody has made a model of the 1954 Corvette Corvair fastback coupe show car? Or is there a conversion kit for either the AMT or Monogram kits to convert them into the Corvair? Also how about the '54 Corvette "Waldorf" Nomad?

Scott Aho

Mini-Exotics/R&D Unique did a 1/24 scale resin transkit to convert the Monogram 1/24 scale '53 Corvette to the Motorama Corvair (Corvette fastback), but those are hard to find anymore, as R&D Unique closed up shop several years ago.

As for the Corvette Nomad, while that has styling cues from the '53-'55 Corvettes, it was actually a much larger car, built as it was on a stock 1954 Chevrolet station wagon chassis. As a result, it's longer, AND taller than any Corvette. That said, someone did do a resin kit of that car back in the late 1980's, don't remember who now, but it was a limited run kit.

Art

• 4 years later...

I was interested in building the Corvette '54 Corvair fastback concept car at one time.  Somebody on this forum suggested using the 'custom' fastback tops that came with, I think, the '57 T-Bird, and I think a similar thing came in the Cobra 289 kit (yellow plastic).  

Araron,

I've built both kits . You've gotten some good advce from those who responded to your question but despite what they've told you I prefer the AMT kit.. Both the original AMT & Monogram kits date from the mid 1970s, AMT #T10 from 1976 & Monogram 6100 from 1977. 6100 is the kit that a couple mentioned had the metal body and my biggest concern with it is that it is larger then 1/24th enough so that set next to the AMT one in looks much too large so while it is easier to build it does look out of place in a collection of C1 Vette kits. #2291 from 1982 was the first all plastic release of the original #6100 kit  and all subsequent Monogram & Revell kits are based on it. The best feature of the Monogram ones is that they have the carbs for both the 53 & 54 cars. The snap kit you mentioned is #8314  released in 1997 and as Art said it is based on the retro Corvettes C-1promos released in in 1993. I used one of them to build a rare Black 54 Vette and found it very easy to work with,  except for its lack of engine. Yes the original AMT kit requires more work to make it right  but if you're building a collection of C1 Vettes  it will look better. On the other hand if you're only building one  Corvette go with the Monogram, it is a little easier to build. The tip for using the P.E headlight screen is interesting and I'll have to try it sometime,  I know the heavy plastic covers annoy me. Good luck.

r'nd Unique did both the Nomad & the Corvair show cars in resin but they closed up shop many years ago with the result that their trans kits are very hard to find.. To my knowledge no other aftermarket company has tried to do a kit of either car.

• 2 years later...

The other nice feature about the Monogram '53 is the ease in which a modeller can convert it into one of the first production examples. Replace the kit wheelcovers with the stock units from Monogram's '53 Bel Air, and you are ready to proceed.

On 7/16/2021 at 11:21 AM, Casey said:
AMT-1244 1/25 1953 Chevy Corvette USPS Stamps Series $41.95

$41.95 - wow.  I know inflation, etc., etc.  But .... wow.  This is just for the kit, in a commemorative box - or is there more to it?

That aside - I'm glad this thread came up; I love the comparison of pros/cons of the different first Corvette kits.    Monogram (or Revell) also released the '53 with decals (but not the correct wheels) for the Carrera Panamericana race.  I think Fred Cady made a more complete set of decals.  Someone briefly made aftermarket wire wheels that were correct.  

ART WORK STUDIO: CARRERA PANAMERICANA A LEGEND | 1953 corvette, Corvette  grand sport, Corvette

On 7/21/2018 at 11:36 AM, robertw said:

r'nd Unique did both the Nomad & the Corvair show cars in resin but they closed up shop many years ago with the result that their trans kits are very hard to find.. To my knowledge no other aftermarket company has tried to do a kit of either car.

I had one of these transkits, but kind of lost interest and finally sold it several years ago on eBay.  Might should have kept it!  :) If you are able to find one, it is a beautiful casting.   

This photograph shows the seafoam green Corvair, which made its debut at the Dinner Key Auditorium in Miami just weeks after the GM Motorama in New York City. It replaced the first Corvair, a red version that was displayed at the Waldorf-Astoria. (GM Media Archive photo)

And since I've completely hijacked the thread - has anyone taken on the challenge of building this?  

211nascar02-e1515878692748.png

1 hour ago, Jonathan said:

$41.95 - wow.  I know inflation, etc., etc.  But .... wow.  This is just for the kit, in a commemorative box - or is there more to it?

It should be in a 'tin' box, like the others in the USPS stamp series, hence the slightly higher price.

1 hour ago, Jonathan said:

That aside - I'm glad this thread came up; I love the comparison of pros/cons of the different first Corvette kits.    Monogram (or Revell) also released the '53 with decals (but not the correct wheels) for the Carrera Panamericana race.  I think Fred Cady made a more complete set of decals.  Someone briefly made aftermarket wire wheels that were correct.  

ART WORK STUDIO: CARRERA PANAMERICANA A LEGEND | 1953 corvette, Corvette  grand sport, Corvette

Reference photos for the Panamericana race were hard to find but Fred Cady told me he knew the Esser family in Chicago and was able to make the correct decals. 

I remember when that AMT '53 Corvette was new ( I bought my first copy at the GEMCO in Downey , Ca. , in 1977 -- I was 7 years old ) . Oddly , I don't remember any issues with assembly , even back then ! Blissful ignorance perhaps ? 

Here's what its instruction sheet looks like AMT T 310 1953 Corvette | Scale Auto Model Kit Reviews & Reference (proboards.com)

11 hours ago, 1972coronet said:

I remember when that AMT '53 Corvette was new ( I bought my first copy at the GEMCO in Downey , Ca. , in 1977 -- I was 7 years old ) . Oddly , I don't remember any issues with assembly , even back then ! Blissful ignorance perhaps ? 

Here's what its instruction sheet looks like AMT T 310 1953 Corvette | Scale Auto Model Kit Reviews & Reference (proboards.com)

I did a box art build of the 53 Corvette for AMT/Ertl back around 1993 for the Corvettes set (53, 57 and 63). The body and interior are fairly accurate, but the chassis is clunky, and it sits way too high. In fact, on the box art art build, I lowered it by inverting the front spindles and trimming I don't remember what from the rear leaf springs. I recall this causing or nearly causing some clearance issues between the front tires and the headlight buckets. But making that modification improves the appearance greatly. That said, if I had to give an edge for accuracy, I'd pick the Monogram kit. (Yes, the center divider between the seats was there before I delivered it.) 

01-Corvettes-172270-18821-19-720-_1_.jpg.791e1eea2c14c23845676b4aa60bce15.jpg

Edited by Dave Darby

3 hours ago, Dave Darby said:

I did a box art build of the 53 Corvette for AMT/Ertl back around 1993 for the Corvettes set (53, 57 and 63). The body and interior are fairly accurate, but the chassis is clunky, and it sits way too high. In fact, on the box art art build, I lowered it by inverting the front spindles and trimming I don't remember what from the rear leaf springs. I recall this causing or nearly causing some clearance issues between the front tires and the headlight buckets. But making that modification improves the appearance greatly. That said, if I had to give an edge for accuracy, I'd pick the Monogram kit. (Yes, the center divider between the seats was there before I delivered it.) 

01-Corvettes-172270-18821-19-720-_1_.jpg.791e1eea2c14c23845676b4aa60bce15.jpg

nice build, Dave -  I built one out-of-the-box and it looks like an SUV - the ride is way too high (some photos under glass in the racing section)

1 hour ago, Gramps46 said:

This was my build back in the day using the original AMT kit and Fred Cady decals.  I am not sure which wire wheels I used back then but I keep thinking '34 Ford.

423841365_Corvette1953_7(5)sm.jpg.4d91814623035bbf432c524234d3a1d5.jpg183595603_Corvette1953_7(2sm).jpg.bfb6f0cf66d0e1126de477d2df55a354.jpg

Those look like the Kelsey Hayes Stripper mags that come with the kit.

Here's some real ones. I actually had a set some 30 years ago on my 66 Mustang.  Cool build!

image.png.53dc9888b1346b6927602c6dbc8b682e.png

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...