Model Cars Magazine Forum

Formula One returns to the USA! This weekend in Austin!

F-1 has always had a US fan base, but it's always been quite small--and I somehow doubt that is going to change anytime soon. Consider this: In the US, there is more racing action happening in any one series than in the entire rest of the world. All one has to do is to consider the sheer number of racetracks, of all sizes and shapes in the US, and the sheer number of types or race cars, to understand why with the exception of NASCAR, none of the others are even close to dominant.

Art

I have been a F1 fan for many years (1980) or so..My wife and I went to the first three F1 races at Indy (Stayed in a flea bag hotel right across the street, saw it on COPS one night)..I hope F1 can make a go of it this time. I have a friend 40 miles from Austin, think I will go for a visit next year.

Have built several of the TAMIYA 1/20 scale F1 cars, two of the 1/12 cars and have 2 more 1/12 and about 8 more 1/20 to build. Working on the clear body version of Montoya's Williams as we speak.

Lee, I hope you go. The sound of these cars is remarkable and the colors on these cars are so vivid. Have a good time and please give us a report

Personally, I'm not a big fan of Formula 1.

There's no race in Finland, so I've never seen it live, but from TV it looks very boring. Looks like pit stops and all kinds of different penalties make the end-result. :lol:

Only thing what interests me A Little is that Kimi Räikkönen drove himself to 4th on Qualification.

Drag Racing Is The Number One Motorsport and then there comes NASCAR. ;)

I've been an F1 fan since my college days when I saw Frankenhiemers movie Gran Prix. The only time I've seen a race was at Watkins Glen. Personally I am very happy that the Texans created Circut of the Americas just for F1. I would have gone this year but waited too long to make a decision and couldn't get a ticket at a reasonable price. Looks like a great race. Interesting that there were no safety cars. Vettle and Hamiltion just drove way from the rest of the cars. Looks like a good course for passing. I am really going to try to be there next year.

Speaking of television...I heard Hobbs and Varsha mention "The Speed Channel" would not be broadcasting F1 races next year

No mention of which network picked up the F1 coverage for 2013...just hoping it's one I can get on good 'ole Charter Cable.

anybody know whose covering F1 next year??? :huh:

Enjoyed the race in Texas, nice to see a close finish in F1...lookin' forward to the race in Brazil.

don't know who to pull for...like both Vettel and Alonso

Edited by curt raitz

It was announced recently that NBC Sports is picking up F1 for 2013, same network that currently carries the Indy Car Series. Hosts for 2013 will be Hobbs, Matchett and Leigh Diffey (who does some Indy Car races now). Varsha is staying w/ Speed AFAIK.

I enjoyed the race, the Austin track looks pretty well designed, with some elevation changes and plenty of curves...other recent Herman Tilke-designed tracks in Asia are so flat and dull. My favorite tracks, at least on TV, are the classic tracks like Spa, Monza, the Nurbergring, Monaco and Suzuka..

Edited by Rob Hall

It was announced recently that NBC Sports is picking up F1 for 2013, same network that currently carries the Indy Car Series. Hosts for 2013 will be Hobbs, Matchett and Leigh Diffey (who does some Indy Car races now). Varsha is staying w/ Speed AFAIK.

I enjoyed the race, the Austin track looks pretty well designed, with some elevation changes and plenty of curves...other recent Herman Tilke-designed tracks in Asia are so flat and dull. My favorite tracks, at least on TV, are the classic tracks like Spa, Monza, the Nurbergring, Monaco and Suzuka..

Great, thanx

probably on the old "Versus" channel NBC Sports took over

glad to hear Hobbs is gonna be there, have always enjoyed his banter

met him at Laguna Seca back in his racing days

Speaking of television...I heard Hobbs and Varsha mention "The Speed Channel" would not be broadcasting F1 races next year

NBC out bid Newscrop on the rights, but with the rebranding of Speed to Fox Sports 1 sometime in the near future (2013), not sure how motorsports is going to fit on the new all sports network right now

And not sure what provider you have, but on DirecTv, NBC Sports was moved down the channel list , it now in the low 200's , close to E$PN

Edited by martinfan5

I wonder where Grand Am and ALMS coverage will be next year...I would assume the combined series from 2014 on will find a home. An all motorsports channel would be great....Speed used to be good, but too much reality TV show nonsense in recent years. And do they really need 20 hrs of talking heads per week for NASCAR?

I wonder where Grand Am and ALMS coverage will be next year...I would assume the combined series from 2014 on will find a home. An all motorsports channel would be great....Speed used to be good, but too much reality TV show nonsense in recent years. And do they really need 20 hrs of talking heads per week for NASCAR?

Yes we need the NASCAR coverage, maybe not as much, but in reality we get an hour Mon-Thurs, and the on track coverage, but I am NASCAR fan, been on both sides, so yes I am 100% bias

As for the ALMS /Grand AM series which is going to be one series in the next few years, I would hope News Corp will still carry the rights to that series

Yes we need the NASCAR coverage, maybe not as much, but in reality we get an hour Mon-Thurs, and the on track coverage, but I am NASCAR fan, been on both sides, so yes I am 100% bias

I'm a NASCAR fan also, but I usually only watch the races, Speed Center and Wind Tunnel and ignore the hours of filler...esp. anything w/ Rutledge Wood.... :)

I'm a NASCAR fan also, but I usually only watch the races, Speed Center and Wind Tunnel and ignore the hours of filler...esp. anything w/ Rutledge Wood.... :)

I meet Rutledge and had a photo taken with him, he was very nice in person, I loved Wind Tunnel, but not the retooled version, its ######, no more weekly emails, no weekly questions, it very vanilla now, and have the time Dave isnt even hosting, it was a much watch, now its a well lets see who is hosting this week . Oh well, I dont mind the filler stuff, but its ok for ESPN to have hour after hour of NFL or MLB or NBA filler shows ,but not for NASCAR ;)