Model Cars Magazine Forum

Model Building Is Good For The Brain, According to Revell

And the medical community too. I think many of us have known all along that building models keeps your hand-eye coordination and your brain engaged.

Here's an interesting article I think many of us would agree with. Yes?

http://www2.revell.c...une_feature.pdf

Edited by Dr. Cranky

Great article. I can't wait to get my 18 month old grandson into the hobby. His favorite toys so far have been the Snapfast Slammer cars that I built for him to roll around. I wish I could find more of them to build and give to him. For Christmas he's getting a Playskool car set with a looping track, and an electric powered Lightning McQueen ride on car. I can't wait to see him enjoy those on Christmas morning...!!!

This is true of any creative pastime, model cars included. It's been shown, time and time again over the years, that anything which stimulates learning, and creativity stimulates the brain. In fact, there was a neat article in our local newspaper about Purdue students working with Alzheimer's patients on art projects--allowing them to draw, paint, sculpt--and the results so far are interesting to say the least.

Art

This is true of any creative pastime, model cars included. It's been shown, time and time again over the years, that anything which stimulates learning, and creativity stimulates the brain.

I couldn't agree more, Art. Keeping your mind stimulated and engaged is incredibly important, and building models is certainly a great way to do that.

I thought the generation gap bridging comment in the article was interesting, too, as it certainly does apply to model building.

The paint thing popped into my mind, too, James, but with non-toxic glue and respirators available for $40 or so, there's no excuse not to eliminate that variable from this hobby.

My LHS is giving out free tubes of the red Testors glue with every kit purchase this fall which I have had to practically throw back at them to keep from winding up with a surplus of glue which I'd never use. Which got us (myself, the owner and the "model car guy" on staff) into the debate about the best glues, and the fact that once again the non-toxic stuff smells worse than the toxic glue with the bonus that it doesn't actually adhere the parts together.

My LHS is giving out free tubes of the red Testors glue with every kit purchase this fall which I have had to practically throw back at them to keep from winding up with a surplus of glue which I'd never use. Which got us (myself, the owner and the "model car guy" on staff) into the debate about the best glues, and the fact that once again the non-toxic stuff smells worse than the toxic glue with the bonus that it doesn't actually adhere the parts together.

The non-toxic glue was brought to market in an effort to keep people from sniffing glue (i.e. drug abuse) but in the end, as you mentioned, it wasn't a great product for it's intended use.

This is an interesting article and I wish it would get picked up by more news outlets so the word would get out to more people!

My wife has started the afterschool class at our YMCA branch for 3rd-5th graders called "I Built It!" , a take off on this year's Presidential election catch phrase. The first 2 classes have been met with a lot of great response and they haven't even started on the models yet! They were late in getting this class on the fall schedule and only had 8 kids sign up but they will be promoting it more for the winter and spring sessions. I will print out that article above for her to show the class coordinator as she hopes to develop more classes in the coming months that will get kids to use their minds and creativity instead of just being TV zombies.

i have lost at least 5000 brain cells using tamiya thin and other glues. another 5000 have been lost to paint fumes. another 5000 have popped trying to get PE parts stuck where i want them to. i like clowns. what were we talking about again.

just kidding. i always have a well ventilated area when modeling