Model Cars Magazine Forum

drill bits

The best miniature drill bits I have used is from ebay seller Drillman1.

Wow - a whole new world of drill bit options with that guy (for me anyway). Those bits look like they would be easier to manipulate with 1/8 shanks on them (and ID, since they are marked) than the standard hand drill variety. I didn't realize they made number 87 (.30 mm!) bits - just in case I need to drill a hole for a hair.

HERE is the seller's aBay store (no affiliation, just saving time for others...)

I use them myself, but be aware that those 1/8 shank bits are very, very brittle. They're designed for use with CNC machines, where they move into and out of the working piece with high precision...not our human levels of motion where we bind our bits up just about every time we use them. Some days you'll swear that they snap just from being looked at funny.

That said, they are very handy...when they stay together. Also, Harbor Freight sells variety packs for I think around $7 for 20.

I use them myself, but be aware that those 1/8 shank bits are very, very brittle. They're designed for use with CNC machines, where they move into and out of the working piece with high precision...not our human levels of motion where we bind our bits up just about every time we use them. Some days you'll swear that they snap just from being looked at funny.

That said, they are very handy...when they stay together. Also, Harbor Freight sells variety packs for I think around $7 for 20.

What he said; I have snapped so many of those high-carbon bits it isn't even funny. They are convenient because of the 1/8" shank, though, and I use them in my Taig lathe a lot. The high-speed steel (HSS) bits that you normally find from hobby suppliers are more flexible and can take a little abuse (except for the really thin ones, like the #80).