Model Cars Magazine Forum

What Goes Next

I have resin Bat-mobile Jet engines, and to me they seems incomplete. I think it's rather short and missing something. What would plausibly go on the intake end of a jet engine. I have an idea to use it in tandem in a what-if build. Sine I am unable to load photos here I will have to rely on memories and general knowledge for help.

I don't have access to a Batmobile engine at the moment, but in general, an aircraft turbine suitable for a land vehicle wouldn't be a pure 'jet', but would be from a 'turboprop', or would be a 'turboshaft' from a helicopter. Turboshaft engines have compression and combustion sections like pure turbo-jets, but also have an output shaft capable of delivering mechanical energy to a transmission of some sort.

One very common turboshaft engine is the Lycoming/ Honeywell T-53 series used in Hueys, Cobras, etc. The air intake (to the left of the drawing) is annular, around the output shaft which connects to the gearbox. Other turbines will be similar in operation, but different in desigh and installation.

techsheet5.jpg

The portion of the T-53 shown in the drawing is only about 1 3/4 inches long in 1/24 scale (I just measured the one in the Monogram 1/24 Huey kit), but it has another long exhaust duct at the rear and a large air filter surrounding the intake on the front that are not shown in the drawing.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

O.K. That's pretty close to the engine I have but without the output shaft end cover and related air intakes. So I could just conceptualize the missing details, thanks a lot that sure helps clear up stuff. Thank You

Edited by raildogg

Have you checked to make sure they included the Pocket Valve?

CadillacPat

I'm not sure what that is

Let me know who the maker is and odds are I can tell you exactly what's missing. :)

What do you mean, who I bought them from or what engine it's supposed to be?

as far as who I bought them from E-Bay gets the nod here, about ten years ago.

DSC00068.jpg

Well if this comes up this is the engine I have. This is only one half of it, I got two engines so that's four pieces.So, what comes next if I want to say build a jet powered pulling tractor type model? What if I want to use two engines? Any ideas as to a transfer case or transmission box?

Edited by raildogg

That is an exact resin copy of the 1/24 scale Lycoming T53 in the Monogram Huey kit, (the same engine I posted drawings of, above), MINUS the large exhaust duct which would be on the right end of your photo. The duct would be configured for the particular application.

On the left end, you see what looks like an air filter, which it is. It surrounds and hides the details shown on the left end, the air intakes and the output gearshaft housing and bolted cover, on the drawing above. The output shaft of this engine comes out of the center of the air filter (there is a cast-in nub to locate it) and you can plausibly connect it to a transmission, most likely something like an automatic box with a big torque converter, or a transfer case running to driveshafts to front and rear differentials if you're doing 4WD.

For a pulling tractor, I'd probably put the engines side-by-side, make up an oval chain-drive transfer case between the two engine output shafts, and maybe use a big-rig Allison or other very large automatic transmission driven from the center of the transfer case. This will put the exhausts at the front of the rig, like this one which looks to be T-53 powered. The small inline engine in front is most likely an APU/ generator for starting the turbines. A huge battery pack could perform the same function.

IMG_4191.JPG

Edited by Ace-Garageguy