Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Bare Metal Foil/ Chrome Exotic Cars

8 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

I've been seeing a lot of these chrome/ stainless exotic cars that celebs own. Is it possible to do this with bare metal foil?

Posted · Report post

It's possible but a severe PITA. I've seen aircraft guys cover an entire plane with it but today the most common method is Alclad.

Posted · Report post

It's possible but a severe PITA. I've seen aircraft guys cover an entire plane with it but today the most common method is Alclad.

Gregg has a How-To posted on the main 'site if you (Kristopher) decide to go in that direction: http://www.modelcarsmag.com/category/tips-tricks/

Posted · Report post

what kind of a finish could I get with bare-metal and could i blend seams??? Is there any alclad in a spray can or is it airbrush???

Posted · Report post

Alclad itself goes on very easy, but the perfect gloss black base coat would be the tough part.

Posted · Report post

what kind of a finish could I get with bare-metal and could i blend seams???

You can get a very shiny chrome-like appearance out of it. Once it's on you can polish it with wax just like paint and bring it to a pretty high gloss IF you got it smooth enough when putting it down. If you have some it might be worth it to just try it on an area of a body to see if it's a road you want to go down.

Posted · Report post

with the alcad is painting (black plastic trim) and decals any more or less difficult?