Model Cars Magazine Forum

What did you get today? (Model Car Related Items)

Cheap Ebay buy

The 1:1 ones were built by Renault Vilvoorde (Brussels, Belgium) then that plant was phased out, the beginning of an automotive exit, cuz through the years we lost Opel Belgium (Antwerp) and Ford Genk.

Now the only ones left are Audi (Brussels), Volvo car and Volvo Truck (both in Gent) and DAF Trucks in Westerlo (Geel)

Edited by Luc Janssens

The 1:1 ones were build by Renault Vilvoorde (Brussels) Belgium, then that plant was phased out, the beginning of an automotive exit, cuz through the years we lost Opel Belgium (Antwerp) and Ford Genk.

I would of never guessed they were built in Belgium, that is a very interesting bit of history, thank you sharing

Got me these nice rims from ebay, I think I will use them on my Tamiya Aston Martin DBS. Would love to build something really sinister!!!

Got those last year, Marcus. They're awesome! I've got the same idea but lucky for you it's n

Got me these nice rims from ebay, I think I will use them on my Tamiya Aston Martin DBS. Would love to build something really sinister!!!

Got those last year, Marcus. They're awesome! I've got the same idea but lucky for you it's not an Aston ?? Lol ?

While on a recent holiday to New York, I took the advice of some fellow forum members and visited a couple of hobby stores while I was in the city. This is what I managed to bring home with me:

073_zps9ced0962.jpg

The Dodge Charger, the Ford Thunderbird, the Diecast trailer and the Diecast Ford Crown Victoria were all purchased from the Red Caboose while the Ford Mustang,49 Mercury Wagon, Ford Explorer, Mayers Manx, campus friends set and the garage set were bought from Jans Hobbies.(The Mercury wagon was bought because my wife likes it!!)

Once again, I would like to say a big thanks to all who originally helped me find these stores, the only problem I had was not being able to bring back more!!

About 13 years ago, I sold my entire stash of model kits, slot car bodyshells, finished and unfinished projects and my TCS Best of Show 1/10th scale RC cars to my good friend Mark. He recently started an inventory of his massive collection and he decided to send me back several of my old unfinished projects. However, one of the projects is strictly on loan so that I can take measurements and make a copy in styrene. Back in the 80's, I was into slot cars and had several Russkit Ferrari 156's. I decided to scratchbuild a brass frame for a super detailed slot car build. I found lots of photos in vintage Car & Driver and Road & Track as well as some line drawings in old slot car magazines. At some point, I changed my mind and decided to build it as a static model with a heavily modified Russkit shell and scratchbuilt engine. I got as far as the chassis:

IMG_1297_zps0dc73db4.jpg

IMG_1299_zps360ddde4.jpg

IMG_1298_zps80f8cffa.jpg

At some point, I will resurrect this project once I locate another Russkit shell.

I also got these unfinished projects back:

IMG_1300_zps0034bdb3.jpg

I ordered some VW transporter models from Amazon. ....or was it ebay? I can't remember. Anywho, two of them both came in the mail today - a Revell and a Hasegawa. Here is a quick and cursory comparison of the two.

post-13924-0-89681000-1401488083_thumb.j

The Hasegawa is a curbside. I'm a little disappointed but not too much. Hey I like to build engines. The rest of the detail seems superb. The doors are what I would call pre-slotted. This is to that I can choose to either cut them the rest of the way open, or I can build the model with all closed doors. If I decide to open the doors, the instructions clearly state that I will have to fab up my own interior details. hmmm, I wonder what they were thinking?

post-13924-0-14777500-1401488110_thumb.j

Also, I have to state at this point that, during my life I have lost many hours of sleep wondering how to solve one of life's most important mysteries. Finally, Hasegawa has come through for me and instructed me how to definitively paint my winkers.

post-13924-0-04478800-1401488738_thumb.j

On the other hand, the Revell comes with a many piece body. Obviously, the designers just assumed that I would be into building a model where ALL the doors open up. So my question is then, Why did the kit not come with safari windows? (I guess the one-eyed duck would be hard to tool for.) At any rate, I've never built a model with all these opening doors. I'm going to really enjoy this one.

post-13924-0-34992200-1401489065_thumb.j

P.S. ONLY a TRUE VW Pervert knows what a one-eyed duck is.

Edited by DavidG

• ranma changed the title to Bought two totes with model's in them at the US 127 Garage sales:: here's what was inside of them...