Model Cars Magazine Forum

What did you get today? (Model Car Related Items)

Stoped at my local hobby shop and as I walked up to the door I saw "store closing" signs all over, my heart sank : ( I go in, look around and pick out my models and paint and the talk with the owner, I asked he was indeed closing? He said closing was worst case, that he has a couple people that might help him out but business was just bad this year. We talked for a good while, something you can't do at a chain store. Please i realize its just the nature of the world today but please if you are from the pittsburgh area stop into AB Charles. Lets not sit back and watch another shop close. Everyone try to support your local shop.

Ok off my soapbox.... I picked up the new release Cuda and the pro stock Camaro and some paint which is not exciting as the two kits.

post-11755-0-75654100-1405986395_thumb.j

Edited by DSHWoodworks

Hi all just bought this off ebay

GTpXKPo.jpg

0WHYWHQ.jpg

its a chancy buy as the box is badly rat/mouse eaten

but never seen a kit like this before (metal and plastic) so thought I would give it a go. there are several bits off the sprue and the instructions are badly chewed but it appears to be all there anyone built one of these I paid 16 quid is that expensive or cheap I dont know.

Packard is great kit, dual cowl body never offered in plastic, the styrene Monogram Packard is a phaeton, quite different. Chassis and chrome also vary from plastic kit. I've got a couple of each, and a resin conversion of the Duesy with correct clamshell hood like the real Whittell car it duplicated.

There is a Duesenberg boattail in the series, also not offered in plastic in the styrene 3 Duesy series of Monogram.

The T-Bird was a 56, same as plastic tool, as were the MG-TC, XK-120, and an incongruous metal model of a 53 Vette. These 4 never reissued in metal, and the 2 classics never seen again after first issue.

The metal kits are very nice, that price is decent on your side of pond, here usually $20-25usd, occasionally $15.

The 109 is nice too.

Here's a pic of a built one, not mine, and a 1:1 car. Really nice looking classics. Lots of reference photos via Google. HTH :)B)pac001.jpg31-Packard-840-Custom-8-DV-13-PBC_01.jpg

Kenneth,

I can second what Keyser posted. That Packard is a 1931 Model 745 Eight-cylinder dual cowl phaeton--and it's not really all that plentiful a kit either. It builds up, in quite the tradition of Monogram's Classic Car kits--in other words, very nicely indeed. You might want to take some time with primer and fine sandpaper to get a smoother surface on the metal castings, as those are done in Zamak, which tended to have a bit of a problem with miniscus--that is, a thin "skin" that forms on that metal quickly after it's melted for casting--not hard to do, I took care of in one I built a good 30 years or so ago.

This one differs from the other Monogram Packard Phaeton, in that the all-styrene kit is of a 1930 Model 734 Speedster Phaeton, which being a Sport type body, has no second cowl or windshield for the rear seat area.

Art

"The lost Duesenberg"; Bandai's copy of a Monogram Duesie with a different body. Just won it on eBay. Sealed kit for $29. Sweet!.

Almost sniped you, but freight was more than kit transatlantic. Article on a build out there, rear end could be longer IMO. Nice hit.

my wife got me this sign for my birthday to put on my hobby room door ,

2jtjt3.jpg

2zsacrc.jpg

neat..... and I mean that literally!! i saw that same sign and showed the wife, she said it doesn't suite me because i never spend any time in my model room.....OUCH!! funny, i have the exact same door leading into my model room, but when i open my door, i get a whole nuther view!! if you don't mind, can we get a closeup of the bench, and maybe some of those models those trophies belong to?

It's not what I got but what I'll get.Saturday is my birthday(another decade shot in the rump!) and I'm taking the following week as vacation so it's gonna warrant a trip out to the Model Cave in Ypsilanti sometime during the next 10 days.I think I might get the Datsun 510 re-release(I already have the earlier street version re-issue) and whatever else might tickle me the right way.

$_12.JPG

My Trabant 601 Universal came in the mail today.. no doubt yesterday. I have been anxiously awaiting it's arrival, and my wife checked the mail yesterday but only found bills and flyers. What I didn't realize is that the box was odd shape and wouldn't fit in the mailbox down by the curb, so USPS delivered it to my seldom used front door. I checked there on a hunch just now, and there was my kit!

It's very nice and I may just open it up and build it, leap frogging the hundreds of projects in my queue. One nice detail is seperate shoulder belt parts. I struggle to add shoulder belts in my models and these would be great if someone cast them... hint, hint!

I do have Revell of Germany's two prior Trabbie releases, the recent Limosine that this kit is based on, as well as two of the older curbside kits. For those shopping prices I paid $17.95 for this one.

Now I will stalk eBay for the new Ebbo Renaults!

I almost forgot the built up semi glue bombs I picked up at the Downriver club meeting last Friday- a Resin '57 Imperial hardtop(complete with front to rear smile in the hood-just like a promo!),a resin '63 Olds 88,and a slightly warped Johan Superbird.

Some background on these-On the non modeling topics section of the forum I had mentioned earlier this year about one of club members being murdered.His family had been in contact with a couple of our members about disposing of his collection. The first batch of his extensive stash was what came to the meeting last Friday.I'm told we'll have several more batches and then the leftovers will be at the D.A.A.M. show in November.

I bought Lindberg's '64 Dodge 330, The Ramchargers version. I will use it as a donor kit for Jo-Han '64 Dodge Polara Super Stock and some of those decals will be used on Ramchargers Dragster by MPC that doesn't have all of the decals the real car had. At the same time I visited in another Hobby Shop and bought AMT's '70 Chevrolet Camaro. I bet this will surprise no one when I say that it will be built as a Stock Eliminator Drag Car. I also bought some Dymo-Tape to scribe in panel lines. It works really nicely.

2054f091-10e6-4ef5-8d38-7c1dcb24119a.jpg

Thanks for all the info guys just hope it's all there and there are no crucial bits of the instructions that have been eaten.

That kit is quite straight-forward, given the simplicity of automotive design back in its day--but if you can access an instruction sheet for either of the Monogram all styrene Packard Speedsters (Phaeton or Boattailed roadster), the chassis and engine assemble virtually identically to the metal bodied dual cowl phaeton you have.

Art

• ranma changed the title to Bought two totes with model's in them at the US 127 Garage sales:: here's what was inside of them...