Model Cars Magazine Forum

What did you get today? (Model Car Related Items)

I got this today. B) '67 Opel Rekord Olympia. Runs pretty nicely but need to do something to idle because its pretty bad. Exhaust is also broken but after all it's pretty sweet car. It feels almost like real american car on the road and that was the main reason why I bought it. :D Also it's going to be my daily driver so long that my Corolla is finished.

cd4e3ec9-04af-44d1-ab9b-f85f78f996f7_zps

Managed to win both of these off eBay this afternoon, I built the police version many years in Iowa State patrol after living in Des Moines for a while, managed to get some decals for it, and managed to get some good photo's of the real deal at the H.Q of Iowa's State Patrol, can anyone tell me where I could get hold of some 1:25th scale police decals from these days .....

post-2058-0-90139200-1413742432_thumb.jp

post-2058-0-12194200-1413742441_thumb.jp

RE: Monogram '33-'34 Fords ,they are all interchangeable, sad part is the missing stock parts from the original kit. There are probably door length issues similar to the AMT '36 Ford kits. I'm not up on that sort of thing. But to answer your question, yes all the body parts do work together. I have all these kits and have used the parts together. :)

Good going Bernard! Whichever version you build, you can offset what you paid by eBaying or trading the parts you don't use.

I got one of those '34s as a builtup cabriolet long ago (nicely done, fortunately) - is your kit molded in dark maroon?

Door length should be OK since the option is "coupe or cabriolet" and not roadster (same deal as the Monogram '36).

Congrats James. That's a mighty fine hot rod.

way to go JAMES , That is a very nicely done rod , CONGRATS !

Thanks guys! I dug into the photoetch and aluminum parts stash and got the rims, rotors,brake calipers, valve cover bolts, Alt bracket and fan, pedal covers, distributor coil and ignition key+ chain. A buddy had a P/E kit for the 32 and i used the grill and licence plate surround from it. The grill sets it off for me! I would have used a Model Cars Mag but i only have Scale Auto and a few hot rod type magazines printed out right now. I did not plan on building it this way, it kinda just came to life on its own!

Yesterday I went to Hobby Lobby to buy another kit for the stash ( like I need another one) , anyway when I walked to the aisle there was a young kid ( 8 or 9 ) looking at the kits . He was pacing back and forth with a Semi kit in his hands . He puts it down to look at the price and he sighs. I pull out my 40 % off coupon and show him. Then his mother walks up and I ask is this your son. She says yes and I ask he if she wants the coupon to buy him a kit . She says thank you and I tell her that the Semi kit is not a good kit for his age , I tell her that he will get frustrated very fast with it. She thanked me and said he likes it because of the transformer movie . Then I point to the Camaro snap kit and tell her to paint it yellow for him. I picked up some glue and a discounted can of paint , I was looking for the kid and I saw him walking up the aisle with the Camaro kit in his arms and a big smile. Maybe he will build this kit and another one after it.

Edited by 1930fordpickup

That was a great thing to do, Andy. How many of us actually have our eyes open to situations like this around us where we can do something positive for someone? I can think of missed opportunities myself but nailed one in a hobby shop recently where an 8 yr old kid had his heart set on a complicated glue kit. The dad didn't know much about the kits himself so I got him to divert the kid's attention to a snap kit kit instead.

mike

thats a great feeling to help out a kid like that at the last swap meet i was at i ran into a young guy who had paralized three months earlier and stopped to look at the models i had for sale. we talked a little and he told me his story and even showed me the pics of the car after his accident. he went to look around and said he will be back to buy a kit and after he left i told my daughter to go and tell him be sure and stop i wanted to see him and when he came back i gave him 5 kits and wished him well. you could not knock the smile off his face with a sledge hammer and it sure made me feel good always remember how bad you have it but somebody has it worse.

vince

thats a great feeling to help out a kid like that at the last swap meet i was at i ran into a young guy who had paralized three months earlier and stopped to look at the models i had for sale. we talked a little and he told me his story and even showed me the pics of the car after his accident. he went to look around and said he will be back to buy a kit and after he left i told my daughter to go and tell him be sure and stop i wanted to see him and when he came back i gave him 5 kits and wished him well. you could not knock the smile off his face with a sledge hammer and it sure made me feel good always remember how bad you have it but somebody has it worse.

vince

Vince.... That is very kind of you to do...as you know I have the ones I try to support and yes the smile is worth much more than any plastic kit.

Straight from Pegasus Hobbies, their War of the Worlds Plated War Machines Attack diorama kit, in 1:144 scale. It's based on the 1953 George Pal War of the Worlds movie. It comes with two Martian war machines and American two tanks. One of the tanks is being blasted by a laser from one of the Martian machines. There are even little chared bodies molded into the base. Nice looking, but simple kit. Nicely thought out. Clear parts for things like the laser beam. Build ups I've seen looking pretty good. Looks like it's going to be a fun kit to build.

Scott

On tax-free weekend, I grabbed my Humbrol work-station (very nice product and makes my life a fair bit easier,) the AMT '61 Ford and the cans of Diamond Green Phoenician Yellow Testors lacquer.

While I was out at an ultimately unsuccessful job interview Tuesday, I stopped at the hobby shop literally around the corner and grabbed the Fifties Aqua and a fresh pack of sanding film.

DSCF0322_zps40891331.jpg

Charlie Larkin

There's only one thing to make a guy feel better after a crappy interview, go get stuff at the Hobby shop; I know it would cheer me up. :rolleyes:

Went back by Ollie's to pick up another Midget racer since I traded two of them for these; thanks jrherald420.
DSCN6195-vi.jpg

Also got some more Duplicolor sprays and several sets of Pegasus wheels on eBay
DSCN6200-vi.jpg

Got several Monte Carlo and Regal build ups along with a Buick Wildcat promo? from eBay
DSCN6208-vi.jpg

And forgot to post these two last week that I got from Ollie's
DSCN6184-vi.jpg
Edited by o-man

I stopped by one of my LHS's today and found these poor orphans from a collection begging to be brought home.

IMG_20141021_235247_756_zpsf12b716f.jpg

One F350 is a parts kit (no frame) and the other is (well, was :lol: ) sealed, and had a price tag of $10 for the sealed ones. The Chevy is complete except for having different wheels and tires than the stock dually wheels that were originally in the kit.

Also, notice I said "sealed ONES" for the F350s, there are two more sealed F350s and one more Chevy, plus a complete CHP marked AMT Ford Taurus SHO patrol car and a complete MPC/AMT Chevy Beretta GT sitting in the back room of the hobby shop for me to pick up next week!

• ranma changed the title to Bought two totes with model's in them at the US 127 Garage sales:: here's what was inside of them...