Model Cars Magazine Forum

What did you get today? (Model Car Related Items)

A trip to the local thrift stores today took care of my flocking/carpet needs for a while.  Found 4 different colors of Embossing Powder in one store (including black), all unopened for fifty cents each. In another store, found some really old adhesive felt, still in the package and unused. The felt is a light brown color I can use right away, as carpet on a van project. 

A 1982 issue '69 GTO Judge from Ebay for $6+shipping. It's an open kit, but it is complete. The perfect subject for the new Fireball Modelworks Pontiac Poverty cap set..."plain Jane" GTO with a RAIV.IMAG0835_zpsn0epadop.jpg

Nice score for $6. If you haven't used Joesph's stuff from Fireball yet, you wont be disappointed. Its superb.

David

Haven't had a chance to post these yet. Was on vacation for a few weeks, and much to my wife's joy (yes, that was sarcasm) I found a place selling kits! If you're ever on Vancouver Island, look up Jake's DIecast in Coombs. He doesn't have a ton, but what he does have is interesting, and he's open to searching for you.

Anyway, the more interesting of the two kits is this. Mercedes 600SEL from Lee Models. I still need to do some internet researching, but this appears to be a rebranded Tamiya kit. The artwork is very Tamiya-like, and the instructions clearly reference Tamiya paints. Not sure how rare this is, but I find it interesting.

IMG_20160721_1858091_zpsmdewzzmq.jpg

IMG_20160721_1858236_zps0bg8tvcy.jpg

IMG_20160721_1859269_zpsktvxysvy.jpg

Haven't had a chance to post these yet. Was on vacation for a few weeks, and much to my wife's joy (yes, that was sarcasm) I found a place selling kits! If you're ever on Vancouver Island, look up Jake's DIecast in Coombs. He doesn't have a ton, but what he does have is interesting, and he's open to searching for you.

Anyway, the more interesting of the two kits is this. Mercedes 600SEL from Lee Models. I still need to do some internet researching, but this appears to be a rebranded Tamiya kit. The artwork is very Tamiya-like, and the instructions clearly reference Tamiya paints. Not sure how rare this is, but I find it interesting.

Here's a 2013 thread about those LEE kits.

You're right, they're generally bad copies of TAMIYA stuff. Sometimes the kits are tweaked to take an electric motor and batteries. LEE has also ripped off quite a few TAMIYA 1/35 scale military kits. Several other Chinese companies did the same thing, including some that went on to become very big names in the scale-model world:

http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/topic/70374-lee-kits/

Here's a 2013 thread about those LEE kits.

You're right, they're generally bad copies of TAMIYA stuff. Sometimes the kits are tweaked to take an electric motor and batteries. LEE has also ripped off quite a few TAMIYA 1/35 scale military kits. Several other Chinese companies did the same thing, including some that went on to become very big names in the scale-model world:

http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/topic/70374-lee-kits/

Thanks for that! The quality is definitely not on par with Tamiya, and the plastic seems quite a bit thinner. Still, for what I paid, It might build up okay. At the very least, I'll have an extra set of wheels, a V12 engine, and a body to practice technique on!

Edited by iamsuperdan

Michael, that's a Good looking Car. I'm going to guess you won't be taking any long trips with it's 900+cc Engine,

Sure looks to be in good condition:

http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C760722  - Your Car, right?

Yes, it is now my car. Long trip's will be max. 50 miles  around my hoemtown. The ad wasn't deleted by the dealer.

Thanks for that! The quality is definitely not on par with Tamiya, and the plastic seems quite a bit thinner. Still, for what I paid, It might build up okay. At the very least, I'll have an extra set of wheels, a V12 engine, and a body to practice technique on!

Something I thought about doing with that TAMIYA/LEE Mercedes: drop the engine into one of the classic JOHAN or MONOGRAM '34 Mercedes. Also use the wheels/tires and maybe interior parts. I'd probably call it "Heresy." Or "Blasphemy."

And today was Flea Market day. I got another REVELL Snap-Tite '05 Impala Police Car, shrink-wrapped for $5. It's worth that much for the back-seat safety barrier and other police parts.

Also picked up the latest "Collectible Automobile" and "Rodder's Journal" magazines for $3 each.  One vendor always has 2 or 3 tables full of new magazines very cheap. I guess they fell off a truck or something.

Edited by Mike999
Error

Gpt a Puzzle of a C6R Vette the other day

Clearanced at Wally's!!

Why list a Puzzle here

it is a 3D puzzle and builds into a 1/32 scale Model

Might want to mhurry into your local W-M's though

Those Puzzle/kits Might be Done!!

they were $15, but I got that Vette for $7.oo!!

there  was also an H2 Hummer Pickup, a Mercedes, and Audi & a BMW

Not sure on any others though

It might help if I take a couple pics.

I'd like to hear more about that 4-wheeler (quad)!!  Who cast it? scale? I'm very interested in getting a couple...

The 4 wheeler is a Maisto die cast and I would say it's a 1/32 scale. I have bought that scale before for pickup beds..

• ranma changed the title to Bought two totes with model's in them at the US 127 Garage sales:: here's what was inside of them...