Model Cars Magazine Forum

What did you get today? (Model Car Related Items)

20 minutes ago, Snake45 said:

Now that's an interesting idea! Do keep us posted on how that works out!

Keep an eye on my Dark Deuce build thread, the first pair will be the small light housings using the clear parts of 6mm Googly Eyes for lenses. Need to research different 1:1 designs first though.

16 hours ago, kelson said:

Nice!, I have a bunch of these in my stash.

I do too, I have almost every body style of Trans Am including the 79 Type K sportwagon, the only missing gap is a 74-76. I've also owned two 1:1s in my younger days, a 79 Firebird Esprit and an 88 GTA. My plan for the 69 is make the rare 69 Trans Am convertible which if I remember correctly only 6 were made and the original idea for the GTA was to replicate my old 1:1, but I forgot the Monogram kit was a solid roof and had the paddle style mirrors where my 1:1 was a T-Top and had the sport mirrors. 

Bought from the Model Cave yesterday- The Bobby Allison Monte Carlo, Moebius/Model King Butch Leal '65 Satellite, Tamiya Toyoda AA, Fujimi Porsche Cayman, Tamiya '66 VW Beetle, Aoshima Nissan 350 Z, and a bottle of Solvaset. Thanks John and Melissa for a great store!

14 hours ago, highway said:

I do too, I have almost every body style of Trans Am including the 79 Type K sportwagon, the only missing gap is a 74-76. I've also owned two 1:1s in my younger days, a 79 Firebird Esprit and an 88 GTA. My plan for the 69 is make the rare 69 Trans Am convertible which if I remember correctly only 6 were made and the original idea for the GTA was to replicate my old 1:1, but I forgot the Monogram kit was a solid roof and had the paddle style mirrors where my 1:1 was a T-Top and had the sport mirrors. 

Matthew... I want to make a replica of my old 75 TA if I can ever find the needed parts to make one with...been wanting to do it since I had to sell her off after my accident in 96...I loved that car.

HOBBY LOBBY HAS ALL MODEL KITS AT 20% OFF TODAY!  At least the HL in Easley, SC did.  You can still use the 40% off coupon for a kit. I did that to pick up the Revell '70 Charger.  Wasn't tempted by anything else, even at 20% off.

Went down the road to a hobby shop and found a couple of the old Modified Stocker kits gathering dust on the shelf.  They had their original price tags from years ago: the MPC/Model King "Rat Trap" Vega, and the AMT/ERTL '36 Plymouth.  I never had any interest in these, until I started building the '34 Ford Modified as a quick-build, slump-buster project.  Now I think they're pretty neat, with lots of scope for weathering and beating up. The store had a "10% off all model kits, today only," deal. 

Off-topic: the USPS delivered some 1/35 scale stuff from Masterpiece Models.  Including this Wrecked Zero, in resin with photo-etched parts for the fabric flying surfaces:

zero_wreck.jpg

Edited by Mike999
error

Must be in a Cadillac mood, picked up one of the Revell Cadillac Lowriders at the Schaumburg HTU for cheap aince it was closing and my former employers have stepped it to take it over after the season is up. Picked up a set of AMT Gasser wheels and tires too.

Edited by Joe Handley

Since I'm off work until next year, decided to stop in at some of the local antique shops to see if I could find a bonus Christmas gift or two for my wife.  Some of the shops occasionally have a couple model kits, almost never anything unusual or desirable to me (usually unwanted NASCAR kits and some '90s Corvette promos).

However, at one shop, among a half dozen useless kits was a Prestige AMT 1963 Corvette Convertible.  Box was kinda rough, but everything is bagged inside and it seems complete, including the drag strip accessories and the hard/soft tops.  Best part is it was only $10, so just a fraction of what I would have to pay new if Round 2 decides to dust this one off again.

I was shocked to see the box dated as 1990.  Yikes!  It's actually been 27 years since they brought this one out?  Didn't think it was that long ago.

IMG_20171222_0134432_rewind.jpg

On 12/15/2017 at 5:25 PM, Junkman said:

Today a parcel arrived. Inside was this:

25210999338_83991e909b_b.jpg

I love old postcards!  They were the quick message medium in the early part of the 20th century, before texts and emails and before most people had phones.  Jot a quick note and affix a penny postage and your recipient would get your message the very next day in most cases.  I have many in my collection with timely notes like,  "I will come to your house to do the brick work on Saturday"  and  "meet me at the train station at 7:45 pm tomorrow".  

fishfoodcover.jpg.e948b1a2b900d264ef8b0b0c00146daa.jpg

One of my favorite  "urgent message" cards in my collection...  1918 from Highlands, NJ  which is a shore town.  Myra suddenly remembered that she didn't leave instructions to feed her pet fish!  So she sent a special delivery postcard to her mother, a post card would cost a penny to mail so she spent the cost of mailing 12 cards to get this message there!  It was mailed 4 pm on July 22, and the Brooklyn, NY receiving cancel is 2am on July 23.  Special delivery means they sent a mailman to deliver it ASAP, not with the normal daily mail run, so Mom probably got it right when she woke up.  I wonder how the fish made out?

Today, you can drive from Highlands to Brooklyn in less than an hour, but the highways we use today didn't exist in 1918.  This card probably traveled by Ferry across New York Harbor.  

On 13/12/2017 at 1:50 AM, Bill Eh? said:

Pat these kits are really great. For many years I had the Manglia on display in my classroom, along with my Godzilla collection! LOL

Cheers Bill, we don't see many of these here in the UK.

Merry Christmas to me.

A few days ago the mail man dropped off a few goodies. For the builders that go well beyond the box contents. you NEED to get some of these carbs from Fireball  Model works . Simple pictures do NOT do them justice. I picked up a couple sets as well as a few sets of the normal AVS carbs as well

image.png.212798d4085d07688604ddcdd0103ba6.png

Original issue 1964 Dodge Polara convertible body. I have enough parts stashed away to make it 100% complete.  This one now gives me 2 of them .  I may try to use one as trade material to get a 1964 Fury convertible ,,,,, maybe

image.thumb.png.0d7bc61ce5e108644c96933f540374d6.png

image.thumb.png.37152ba543e3965bf4e876946e612227.png

Edited by gtx6970

Got the Pepper Shaker '57 Chevy in the mail today,  along with some parts I'd ordered on eBay.

It's been a long strange trip for the parts.  From a seller I'd bought from before. The eBay purchase shipped via USPS First Class from Indiana on Dec 8th. Got to the USPS Cleveland Distribution Center on Dec 10. Then spent the next 10 days going back and forth between Cleveland Distribution Center and Akron Distribution Center (with 2 side trips to my local post office and a side trip to a random town 50 miles to the east) before being delivered yesterday. Nothing was wrong w/ my address on the box.

1 hour ago, Daddyfink said:

This came to mind when I saw the Zero kit...

Thanks!  Saved the pic to help with detailing. When I finally get around to that kit, about 127 years from now.  Your photo is complete with nice hand-painted markings of the Allied Technical Air Intelligence Unit  (ATAIU).  Years ago, Hasegawa released a 1/48 Zero kit in a "Strange Insignia" version.  It had markings for an American or British evaluation aircraft, TAIU or ATAIU SEA (Southeast Asia). 

3 hours ago, Rob Hall said:

Got the Pepper Shaker '57 Chevy in the mail today,  along with some parts I'd ordered on eBay.

It's been a long strange trip for the parts.  From a seller I'd bought from before. The eBay purchase shipped via USPS First Class from Indiana on Dec 8th. Got to the USPS Cleveland Distribution Center on Dec 10. Then spent the next 10 days going back and forth between Cleveland Distribution Center and Akron Distribution Center (with 2 side trips to my local post office and a side trip to a random town 50 miles to the east) before being delivered yesterday. Nothing was wrong w/ my address on the box.

Rob what is different between the Pepper Shaker 57 and the other 57 Chevy released not long ago in Aqua color? Never owed the Pepper Shaker kit...

I don't have the issue molded in aqua, though I think someone said it had the stock parts only.  The only other old tool AMT 57 I have is an 80s issue. The PS issue has new decals, white wall tires, lots of optional parts.   Check the thread on it for more info. 

Edited by Rob Hall

• ranma changed the title to Bought two totes with model's in them at the US 127 Garage sales:: here's what was inside of them...