Model Cars Magazine Forum

What did you get today? (Model Car Related Items)

I picked up the reissue Beretta Prostreet to go with the original issue decals I got earlier. The original issue has always been one of my  favorite box builds. I want to replicate it (with maybe a couple small changes). I looked for an original issue, but they are hard to find and the ones I saw were pricy.

I also got some very thin Dremmel blades for cutting open panels and such. Used carefully, these make a very thin cut. The downside is they like to eat fingers, so respect is due.

2v2J2GfVaxv9MWC.jpgHosted on Fotki

2 hours ago, ranma said:

I just took these Pictures of the '58 Oldsmobile I bought today.

Wow!

Nice Rick!

I've thought about picking one of these up for quite some time, but my desire could never outweigh the cost.

I had one many years ago, but my dad threw it out in a basement cleaning tirade! :(

Steve

15 hours ago, disabled modeler said:

Man Rick..you cant beat that price for one...nice..!

I did a little correcting of the body's Over Chrome use. I tried to remove the silver paint that was used on it, But it wouldn't budge. So I just painted red over the area's that needed to be body color. Even though  the red color don't match it still look better than with having to much silver Chrome. Pictures are of what I painted over and before the  re-paint.

DSC02518.JPG

DSC02519.JPG

DSC02506.JPG

DSC02510.JPG

6 hours ago, vintagercr said:

I picked up an M2 1952 Volkswagen from the local Walmart.

I saw those yesterday. Look pretty nice. If I had any interest in the subject matter, I'd have gotten one, but I have no interest in a stock '52 Bug and the effort to build one "my way" starting with a diecast exceeds my interest in THAT project. But for those interested, take a look--they look pretty good. (M2 stuff is pretty decent and worth the price--I have two of their '69 Camaros and three of their '65-'66 Mustang fastbacks.)

9 hours ago, ranma said:

I did a little correcting of the body's Over Chrome use. I tried to remove the silver paint that was used on it, But it wouldn't budge. So I just painted red over the area's that needed to be body color. Even though  the red color don't match it still look better than with having to much silver Chrome. Pictures are of what I painted over and before the  re-paint.

How did you try to strip the silver paint?

I think that this would be a great candidate for a re-do.

I personally would disassemble it, drop it in Super Clean, repaint the top & foil all of the trim.

But then again, if it were mine, it would get a complete restoration, including new paint & chrome. ^_^

Steve

1 hour ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

How did you try to strip the silver paint?

I think that this would be a great candidate for a re-do.

I personally would disassemble it, drop it in Super Clean, repaint the top & foil all of the trim.

But then again, if it were mine, it would get a complete restoration, including new paint & chrome. ^_^

Steve

Tried to strip with paint thinner, I wasn't Going to even try to take it apart Mainly because the body and chassis  are heat pined together, Most likely That was done by Jo Han.

3 hours ago, ranma said:

Tried to strip with paint thinner, I wasn't Going to even try to take it apart Mainly because the body and chassis  are heat pined together, Most likely That was done by Jo Han.

Ooooo!

Stay away from paint thinner on plastic.

It can make a real mess of it.

The "heat pinning" is pretty easy to deal with.

Even breaking away the melted plastic with a needle nose pliers is a workable option.

Or you can grind it off with a Dremel tool.

I've disassembled several of these old promos & have always found it to be quite simple.

Steve

Rick, take another look at that chassis - Jo-Han/X-El was using nylon push pins to attach the chassis at that time; shouldn't be too much trouble prying them out. The interior would be heat-swaged on, but it looks like the PO dismantled it to paint the interior, so you may get lucky. If you give it a bath in the purple pond, the silver paint will be the first thing to go.

I got one of these way back when and did the trim in Bare-Metal; a challenge to my sanity talents but it turned out pretty nice:

P1120551a.JPG.0dbf5e7ba3012b5f73f5c43283d4a9f4.JPG

Good luck with it!

I actually received these in the mail yesterday so technically I didn't get them today..

5a55456be186f_AMT32Fordboxes001.JPG.552255043155a617545c767c44e12050.JPG

5a55456f2ce67_AMT32Fordboxes002.JPG.907e53227138993a93598b94a6d82379.JPG

5a5545721f205_AMT32Fordboxes003.JPG.a30015ea36b346b9789b2d315882dd85.JPG

5a5545757f735_AMT32Fordboxes004.JPG.5461c534f467b04658b8ab3da44cb9e2.JPG

5a5545788e1f4_AMT32Fordboxes005.JPG.b216cea1931eac8ef400de446c166000.JPG

5a55457b64af2_AMT32Fordboxes006.JPG.8d3b0d349cb7cf369fef4cb6291cf9a7.JPG

5a55457e46fd0_AMT32Fordboxes007.JPG.2a6f35ad8ace33410d98b469788ab289.JPG

The boxes are in good to very good condition. The 32 sport roadster box has some writing on one end panel.

Original decals are in near mint condition. Instructions have very small tears at the folds but no paint stains or writing on them.

Bonus was this postcard. I need to put it under a stack of books to flatten it out. It is just a touch to wide to fit in the box bottom. Slight water stain on the front and back. Notice the trophy in the lower left hand corner. 

Another bonus was the dual spare fender assembly along with the mounts, chrome rims, hubcaps and original "No Name" tires.

Edited by VW93
spelling

51 minutes ago, VW93 said:

5a5545721f205_AMT32Fordboxes003.JPG.a30015ea36b346b9789b2d315882dd85.JPG

Bonus was this postcard. I need to put it under a stack of books to flatten it out. It is just a touch to wide to fit in the box bottom. Slight water stain on the front and back. Notice the trophy in the lower left hand corner. 

Love that. :wub:

12 hours ago, Casey said:

Love that. :wub:

29 minutes ago, disabled modeler said:

Me too Casey....I have always loved the little extras kits came with too.  Very neat to see it.

Once I get it flat again I'll scan it and re post it in case anyone wants a copy of it.

I'm no expert on AMT kits but I've never seen one of these before.

I wonder if the roadster kits had similar cards.

Crossed another endangered specie off my list - Thanks to Tom P., I'm now the proud owner of a '65 Olds 88:

P1120579.JPG.c53a5b7242b916b9beee96566d567ee5.JPG

This was a partly finished restoration that doesn't have too far to go. It's nearly complete except for three of the four taillight lenses; it came with a set of Modelhaus factory alloy wheels, but I found out they were only offered on the Starfire and Jetfire I. The standard wheel covers were never kitted, so I'm going to post on the Wanted section for some Polar Lights GTO wire wheel covers - close enough to the Olds optional spokers. I'll save the alloys for when I find a gluebomb I can combine with a '65 Grand Prix roof to make a Jetfire I.

Edited by ChrisBcritter

• ranma changed the title to Bought two totes with model's in them at the US 127 Garage sales:: here's what was inside of them...