Model Cars Magazine Forum

What did you get today? (Model Car Related Items)

24 minutes ago, Ron Hamilton said:

Several years ago, I was lucky enough to get a built-up 1965 Olds 88 Hardtop and a promo convertible with the windshield frame broken off. I made a nice car out of the convertible, and I was originally going to turn the hardtop into a Jetstar I, as I had an unbuilt 88 by hardtop, which I sold for some crazy money, so the hardtop I have will remain a Dynamic 88.

I suggest that you turn yours into a Jetstar I, as the mouldings have been shaved. It would be a one of a kind build.

I may still do it as a Jetstar I, as I have three 65 Grand prix the I can get the roof and bucket seats from.

Ron, lemme ask you something. I have a mint unbuilt AMT '65 Impala HT with a trashed roof & windshield posts. I have no interest in building it as a convertible or bubbletop. I bought an AMT '66 Wildcat for a roof donor, and then Revellogram came out with a better '65 Impala HT that kind of makes grafting a replacement roof on the AMT a bit of a moot idea. 

So I got the idea of putting a '65 Grand Prix roof on the thing and calling it a phantom Caprice or phantom Monte Carlo or something of the kind. How do you think a GP roof would look on a '65 Impala? :wacko:

4 hours ago, Snake45 said:

Ron, lemme ask you something. I have a mint unbuilt AMT '65 Impala HT with a trashed roof & windshield posts. I have no interest in building it as a convertible or bubbletop. I bought an AMT '66 Wildcat for a roof donor, and then Revellogram came out with a better '65 Impala HT that kind of makes grafting a replacement roof on the AMT a bit of a moot idea. 

So I got the idea of putting a '65 Grand Prix roof on the thing and calling it a phantom Caprice or phantom Monte Carlo or something of the kind. How do you think a GP roof would look on a '65 Impala? :wacko:

To me the GP roof on a 65 Impala would look strange. In fact, I have never liked the way that Monogram executed the rear backlight on their 65 Impala.I always thought AMT did the job better,  so I would use the Wildcat for a roof donor. I even considered installing an AMT rear window into a Revell 65 Impala. You are right about the Revell 65 being the better kit.

20 hours ago, ChrisBcritter said:

Are the wheel openings OK? Maybe you could graft them into a Modified Stocker body. Note that both are missing the side trim that runs along the lower crease and over the wheel wells.

5a58d1e3ebeea_65oldsdynamic88-01.jpg.8cd8ea07f4f86255d4eccbf7a294d0aa.jpg

Chris... I might be able to if I could find one..?   Mine the hood..body..glass are the biggest issues with it...plus someone cut the top off once and made a convertible out of it just to re-attach the top again...all the trim on mine is sanded off pretty much too.  My dad had a 65 once Id like to make a replica of it like most the vehicles the family owned over the years.

On 1/11/2018 at 12:05 AM, ChrisBcritter said:

Crossed another endangered specie off my list - Thanks to Tom P., I'm now the proud owner of a '65 Olds 88:

P1120579.JPG.c53a5b7242b916b9beee96566d567ee5.JPG

This was a partly finished restoration that doesn't have too far to go. It's nearly complete except for three of the four taillight lenses; it came with a set of Modelhaus factory alloy wheels, but I found out they were only offered on the Starfire and Jetfire I. The standard wheel covers were never kitted, so I'm going to post on the Wanted section for some Polar Lights GTO wire wheel covers - close enough to the Olds optional spokers. I'll save the alloys for when I find a gluebomb I can combine with a '65 Grand Prix roof to make a Jetfire I.

I noticed that there are scripts on the car, but no wheel opening or body side mouldings that were part of the Dynamic 88 trim level. Some 0.30 half round styrene should do the trick if you want it to be a Replica Stock build

I plan to build mine as a book end to my convertible as a tribute to my Dad's 65

Even though his was a 98 Luxury Sedan, I really liked the color combination. I have a 65 Buick Wildcat restoration to get back to. 

36 minutes ago, mk11 said:

It would definitely be unique...

2018-01-13 12 17 20

...just happened to have these leftovers on hand from the '65 Parisienne 409 ragtop project I've been picking away at... when my 'modellers add' allows  :rolleyes:

mike

Fabulous! Thanks so much! It doesn't look at bad/weird as I was afraid it might. I was thinking maybe it would make the trunk look "too long." Wonder how it might work if the roof were lengthened, say, 1/4"? (Not that I'm suggesting that you chop it up and try it, of course.) 

I wouldn't complain if you were to take a couple more photos of this mashup, though, especially a profile shot. B)

Most of you probably know I collect Cobra's . Started about 1999 . As I was cruising the bay last week I came across this Cobra kit . I didn't think I had it so I checked and sure enough I had missed it all these years . Not rare at all and in fact there were two others listed . Have no clue how I missed this one . Now I have it . Nothing special and in fact just pretty much the same old kit that has been out in one box or another for years . But I had to have it to add to the unbuilt collection . What else have I missed ??? The search continues ! 

IMG_0192.JPG

1 hour ago, cobraman said:

Most of you probably know I collect Cobra's . Started about 1999 . As I was cruising the bay last week I came across this Cobra kit . I didn't think I had it so I checked and sure enough I had missed it all these years . Not rare at all and in fact there were two others listed . Have no clue how I missed this one . Now I have it . Nothing special and in fact just pretty much the same old kit that has been out in one box or another for years . But I had to have it to add to the unbuilt collection . What else have I missed ??? The search continues ! 

IMG_0192.JPG

Nice score!!!.....VERY cool!!!

Picked up a couple today at HL.

The Gasman 49 Ford, and the Dodge Country Charger.

Neither are real high on my wish list, but I've always liked 49 Fords so I decided to get one while they are still around. I tend to delay until something is discontinued.

The Charger was an opened/started (barely) kit on clearance for $10. Supposed to be missing one piece, but looks like all the major bits are still there. Could be the rear bumper, I did a quick check and don't remember seeing that. I'll worry about it later. Looks like a bit of blue paint on a little bit of the interior tub and the wheels/tires are put together.  Figure that for the price and the fact that I don't really like Mopars that much maybe this will be a good slump buster. Or just take up more shelf space. :lol:

Thanks,

Russ

5 hours ago, russosborne said:

Picked up a couple today at HL..Figure that for the price and the fact that I don't really like Mopars that much maybe this will be a good slump buster. Or just take up more shelf space.

Or more space in the big plastic parts tub. (I currently have 3 of those.  For Complete Bagged Kits, Early-Model Parts and Late-Model Parts).

I fall for that trick all the time at HL.  "I already have 4 of these kits. But it's ON CLEARANCE!!!"  Most recently was a Revell '59 Cadillac that had been opened, re-wrapped and put on the HL Clearance shelf.  Got it home and nothing was missing.  But this was the last "small box" re-issue, where all those parts were really crammed into a small space.

The roof posts were bent, so somebody took it home, then returned it for refund or exchange, I guess.  Anyway, in that case it was worth the (low) price just for engine, air conditioning parts etc. etc.  Or at least that's my story and I'm sticking to it...

On 1/13/2018 at 5:36 PM, cobraman said:

IMG_0192.JPG

Hello Ray...since you didn't see the one you mentioned ...was just curious if you have this one...? box art reminded me of this...

IMG_0744C.JPG.297d2e0a51f7dd5bfc0c63d8f666fd6a.JPG

• ranma changed the title to Bought two totes with model's in them at the US 127 Garage sales:: here's what was inside of them...