Model Cars Magazine Forum

What did you get today? (Model Car Related Items)

Yes, but you'd end up with an ugly seam between the roof and windscreen header if you followed the instructions.
As far as I can see the best thing to do is to throw away the instructions straight away.
It looks to me like you can assemble the entire body, do your bodywork and painting, then mate it with the chassis
in the usual manner.

Interesting car though, it was the last Opel with body on frame construction and it has a Dubonnet front suspension.

Edited by Junkman

Cameron, I have looked at those Abteilung oil paints at a my LHS. They are far more expensive that getting a name brand oil paint such as Winsor and Newton. Even an art supply retailer might have their own house line of oil paints. Why did you opt for these? I am also curious as to the ease of use of those AK True Metals.

50 minutes ago, Bill Eh? said:

Cameron, I have looked at those Abteilung oil paints at a my LHS. They are far more expensive that getting a name brand oil paint such as Winsor and Newton. Even an art supply retailer might have their own house line of oil paints. Why did you opt for these? I am also curious as to the ease of use of those AK True Metals.

I have some paints from the art store, from what I understand, the pigments in the Ablteilung paints are ground to a much finer size, so when diluting and washing, there are no chunks or debris. So far, this seems to be true, as the stuff I had from Michael's wasn't super consistent. I don't think it's as critical in 1/24-1/25 scale as it is for the 1/35 and 1/48 military guys 

2 hours ago, Quick GMC said:

I have some paints from the art store, from what I understand, the pigments in the Ablteilung paints are ground to a much finer size, so when diluting and washing, there are no chunks or debris. So far, this seems to be true, as the stuff I had from Michael's wasn't super consistent. I don't think it's as critical in 1/24-1/25 scale as it is for the 1/35 and 1/48 military guys 

I've also found that to be true, having some art-store oil paints and quite a few of the Abteilung oils.  Because it's clumpy, the art-store Raw/Burnt Umber makes great 1/25 scale (heavy) grease.

I'm also curious about those AK True Metal oils, since I know nothing about them.  I recently got the Lifecolor "Guns & Weapons" acrylic paint set, but haven't had a chance to try them yet.  They come with 3 "reflecting" metal colors, plus a special Reflecting Agent. (And 2 shades of wood for painting stocks etc.)   I've had fun using the Lifecolor "Rubber" acrylic paint set (basically 6 different shades of black).

lc_guns.jpg

20 minutes ago, Mike999 said:

I've also found that to be true, having some art-store oil paints and quite a few of the Abteilung oils.  Because it's clumpy, the art-store Raw/Burnt Umber makes great 1/25 scale (heavy) grease.

I'm also curious about those AK True Metal oils, since I know nothing about them.  I recently got the Lifecolor "Guns & Weapons" acrylic paint set, but haven't had a chance to try them yet.  They come with 3 "reflecting" metal colors, plus a special Reflecting Agent. (And 2 shades of wood for painting stocks etc.)   I've had fun using the Lifecolor "Rubber" acrylic paint set (basically 6 different shades of black).

lc_guns.jpg

that's the one I forgot to take a pic of, I have the rubber black set as well, can't seem to find the Tamiya rubber black spray anymore

I haven't used the True Metals yet, but I am hoping the colors shine really well, it would be great for heat staining. I use Alclad right now, but it takes some of the shine away 

40 minutes ago, KWT said:

Mailman dropped this off today.

2v2JuTpsNxAL6UG.jpg

Open but appears complete. Has a little bit of warpage that I'll have to figure out how to remedy but all in all it looks good. 

First model kit I ever built. Cool. 

Does it have a copyright on the box? Just curious. 

Edited by Erik Smith

3 minutes ago, Erik Smith said:

First model kit I ever built. Cool. 

Does it have a copyright on the box? Just curious. 

I noticed it said 1978 on it. Happens to be the year I was born. It's in a tad better shape at 40 than I am. Lol

7 hours ago, Quick GMC said:

Thanks Cameron for that information. Definitely correct in that pigment scale can have an impact. I have a few tubes of Winsor and Newton colours. I think I will buy some matched colours made by Abteilung to see if there is any discernible difference in pigment or consistency.

Went to HL for the first time since before Christmas. No new kits. Got the Revell Mazda, a couple paints I needed, and a set of these wheels, which I've been wanting to try for a long time now. Turns out they're a little big, but I think I can find SOMETHING to use them on--maybe a 1/24 diecast of some kind. 

https://pinecar.woodlandscenics.com/show/Item/P347/page/1

10 hours ago, kelson said:

Mailman dropped off the photoetched stuff off the other day and the Vette was on clearance at my local hobbyshop,so I bought it for the hardtop.IMG_E0102.thumb.JPG.15ac2c0a121275d05ed8132f460475a7.JPGIMG_0101.thumb.JPG.8961a8e3a11cafb3979af766f208c16f.JPG

so that's who picked up that ....I was looking at that .....LOL  good score Curtis .

On ‎1‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 5:50 PM, cobraman said:

Got this truck kit . It will be done up as a flatbed Cobra hauler from the Carroll Shelby shop. It will be hauling a Cobra in some state of finish but I don't think a complete car. 

IMG_0201.JPG

Maybe something like this one?

5a649ea2858f5_Shelby_Cobra_CSX3018_MagazineRoadTest-13.jpg.9267561eb51f742a635c7a559646f8c8.jpg

3 hours ago, ChrisBcritter said:

Lucky night at the LMMCC meeting - picked up a '91 Chevy shortbed stepside promo in charcoal with a red interior for $5, and then won this at the raffle:

s-l500.jpg

Is this the "good" one (no roof problems, etc.)?

Probably not. I had two of those and both had the bad bodies. Fortunately for me Revell replaced them with no problem. I have yet to finish mine. I understand that some off the later issues had the corrected bodies. All of them had vinyl roofs and mouldings. I want mine to be a slick top, so I am going to swap the body with one from a '68, an do a Bullitt car. 

• ranma changed the title to Bought two totes with model's in them at the US 127 Garage sales:: here's what was inside of them...