Model Cars Magazine Forum

What did you get today? (Model Car Related Items)

Picked up some more paint to experiment with: Auto Air iridescent Candy Apple Red, AutoAir White Base,Auto Air Transparent Black (may try this over some  decals for a ghost effect), Createx Opaque Black as a base coat and Createx Gloss Top Coat( see if this works better than the rattle can clears I have been using)

20180119_095853.jpg.a1c43bb4b97031c2cd90e08d37dbc533.jpg 

Good luck with the Createx products. I've bought up several and am trying them as well. I sprayed some Wicked Blue mixed with Createx 4030 balancing clear and Createx 4012 (W500) reducer. It laid down and leveled nicely. I wasn't trying for a perfect paint job, just wanted to see how it sprayed. I highly recommend using the 4030 and 4012 (W500). There are several videos on Youtube that really helped me. I highly recommend them because Createx is definitely a different animal. I've read here that the black and white are especially hard to spray but then I don't know if they were using the Createx balancing clear and reducer. I've tried using acrylics with home made reducers and the had poor to bad results. I hope to spray a full car this week and I'll start a thread about the paint then.

2 hours ago, Miatatom said:

Good luck with the Createx products. I've bought up several and am trying them as well. I sprayed some Wicked Blue mixed with Createx 4030 balancing clear and Createx 4012 (W500) reducer. It laid down and leveled nicely. I wasn't trying for a perfect paint job, just wanted to see how it sprayed. I highly recommend using the 4030 and 4012 (W500). There are several videos on Youtube that really helped me. I highly recommend them because Createx is definitely a different animal. I've read here that the black and white are especially hard to spray but then I don't know if they were using the Createx balancing clear and reducer. I've tried using acrylics with home made reducers and the had poor to bad results. I hope to spray a full car this week and I'll start a thread about the paint then.

I have been using Auto Air for awhile. Just trying to see what I can do with it. One of the guys in my club has been diluting it with Future and getting a nice finish. I want to give that a try. I have used Future separately as a clear and gotten good results. I will let you know how it works out . Can't wait to see what the Candy Apple red looks like with iridescence 

8 hours ago, Ron Hamilton said:

Probably not. I had two of those and both had the bad bodies. Fortunately for me Revell replaced them with no problem. I have yet to finish mine. I understand that some off the later issues had the corrected bodies. 

So... bad one? Still possible to get a replacement?

P1120590.JPG.01918cf3227f6cddf78a2b6db2c93742.JPG

P1120585.JPG.3efb8a15755e7b33a4cecbe3423a5583.JPG

Edited by ChrisBcritter

9 hours ago, Ron Hamilton said:

Probably not. I had two of those and both had the bad bodies. Fortunately for me Revell replaced them with no problem. I have yet to finish mine. I understand that some off the later issues had the corrected bodies. All of them had vinyl roofs and mouldings. I want mine to be a slick top, so I am going to swap the body with one from a '68, an do a Bullitt car. 

Interesting and clever idea--a slick-top '69 and a vinyl-topped '68 Bullitt. B) How are you going to handle the side marker lights? I think I'd just chop those sections out of the body and swap them. Will take a little filler for the kerfs, but should be do-able. 

4 minutes ago, Snake45 said:

Interesting and clever idea--a slick-top '69 and a vinyl-topped '68 Bullitt. B) How are you going to handle the side marker lights? I think I'd just chop those sections out of the body and swap them. Will take a little filler for the kerfs, but should be do-able. 

I believe that the '68 and 69 Chargers are pretty much the same body, I believe that the modeler has to fill the '69 side markers on the '68 kit and use the decals furnished in the kit, which I do not like and do not plan to use. When the Dick Landy '68 Came out several years ago, I bought a gorgeous set of '68 Side Markers in Turned Aluminum from a company called Auto Atomix, which is now defunct. I am not sure that Revell made corrections of the side markers on subsequent issues of the '68 Charger kit, which included the steelies and Dog Dish caps.

4 hours ago, Miatatom said:

I've read here that the black and white are especially hard to spray

Interesting!  I've just started messing with these too - I sprayed some black, right out of the bottle at high PSI 3 days ago and left it.  Had a minute to work on some stuff today, picked them up and they were still tacky.  This is over Tamiya primer - but the other Createx colors I've sprayed before have worked GREAT!  Not sure what to make of it...

1 hour ago, Ron Hamilton said:

that is the bad one. I would contact Revell. I think the '69 is out of production, but the '68 may be current. They may have some bodies left.

OK, thanks - put in my request to Revell and we'll see what happens. Worse comes to worst, I'll see how the chassis fits under my '65 Monaco so I can add further needless complexity more detail to it. :rolleyes:

Well, picked up a Revell ZL1 Camaro for an organ donor, going to swap the  engine and trans into one of the Revell Coupe DeVille Lowriders that I plan to build a "Gentleman's Hot Rod" out of about mid day, then got food poisoning that night!

Edited by Joe Handley

Also got some neat stuff from Vince and others at Sharon PA show Saturday. From a Comp. Resin Pro Stock Pinto, to a Monza F/C,and a Multi Maverick.

A vintage style F1 Indy Winner,some tooling, and Sprint cars for a friend.

Best of all, sold more than I bought!

Such self control!?

16 hours ago, ChrisBcritter said:

OK, thanks - put in my request to Revell and we'll see what happens. Worse comes to worst, I'll see how the chassis fits under my '65 Monaco so I can add further needless complexity more detail to it. :rolleyes:

If they cannot provide the '69 body, ask for one out of the '68 and you will need the clear glass too.

Edited by Ron Hamilton

6 hours ago, 64SS350 said:

Also got some neat stuff from Vince and others at Sharon PA show Saturday. From a Comp. Resin Pro Stock Pinto, to a Monza F/C,and a Multi Maverick.

A vintage style F1 Indy Winner,some tooling, and Sprint cars for a friend.

Best of all, sold more than I bought!

Such self control!?

Good to see you again Karl and yes I did awsome there and also brought home less than I took!

vince

11 hours ago, Casey said:

The roof is too low. The body was corrected after the initial batch was released: 

5 hours ago, Ron Hamilton said:

g

The vinyl roof is not the problem, as it was meant to have it. The problem is that the roof looks chopped.

Thanks guys! After looking at the thread Casey attached, I see I have the corrected body (going by the box graphics) Whew! :D I have another in the garage I haven't checked. I hope its good too...  :unsure:

On ‎1‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 11:26 AM, Bill Eh? said:

Cameron, I have looked at those Abteilung oil paints at a my LHS. They are far more expensive that getting a name brand oil paint such as Winsor and Newton. Even an art supply retailer might have their own house line of oil paints. Why did you opt for these? I am also curious as to the ease of use of those AK True Metals.

AK true metals are awesome, and durable!

• ranma changed the title to Bought two totes with model's in them at the US 127 Garage sales:: here's what was inside of them...