Model Cars Magazine Forum

What did you get today? (Model Car Related Items)

8 hours ago, Dann Tier said:

AK true metals are awesome, and durable!

Dann, thanks for your your recommendation and the confirmation of their durability. I bought a tube of Old Bronze at my lhs. They are a little expensive at $18 a tube after tax. It will be interesting to compare with Vallejo's Real Metal Color acrylic line.

Although it is not model related, I got 12.4 inches of snow (Monday). Our football forgot to go the game on Sunday and was royally spanked< Mother nature decided to give us the biggest snowfall of the season the next day. That really makes people situp and pay attention. Another hour of shoveling and I won't have to go to the gym for a couple of days(silver lining). Gary

13 hours ago, ChrisBcritter said:

Got their response and indeed they don't have the '69 anymore, so I'll try that and do a roof transplant. Sucks to lose the vinyl roof though.

Update: Revell requested the barcode from the box, so I popped it in the mailbox with copies of their emails and a brief but clear explanation.

In the immortal words of Allan Sherman: "Lotsa luck, pal... lotsa luck..."<_<

14 hours ago, ChrisBcritter said:

Got their response and indeed they don't have the '69 anymore, so I'll try that and do a roof transplant. Sucks to lose the vinyl roof though.

Sounds like too much work...I'd just get another '69, the reissues from the last 10-15 years (blue car w/ white top on box) are plentiful and cheap, easy enough to find...

Edited by Rob Hall

2 hours ago, GRiN said:

Although it is not model related, I got 12.4 inches of snow (Monday). Our football forgot to go the game on Sunday and was royally spanked< Mother nature decided to give us the biggest snowfall of the season the next day. That really makes people situp and pay attention. Another hour of shoveling and I won't have to go to the gym for a couple of days(silver lining). Gary

That sucks!!....maybe shortly we will see you post here again that you got a snow-thrower today?:P

2 minutes ago, Rob Hall said:

A snow blower is something I've contemplated, but so far this winter it's been pretty mild in Cleveland.  

Nice!....Here, we get dumped-on, then it melts....freezes.....causes tons of accidents, dumps on us again.....then we start the whole process all over again  -weird winter.

1 minute ago, Dann Tier said:

Nice!....Here, we get dumped-on, then it melts....freezes.....causes tons of accidents, dumps on us again.....then we start the whole process all over again  -weird winter.

Similar pattern here but smaller amounts...had 2-4 inches at most any one time.   Around here it's very variable depending on where you are relative to the Lake Effect snow areas..my suburb due south of Cleveland seems to miss the brunt of the storms.   When I lived in Michigan (Ann Arbor 94-97) i remember not much snow there but a lot of ice storms.

18 minutes ago, Rob Hall said:

Similar pattern here but smaller amounts...had 2-4 inches at most any one time.   Around here it's very variable depending on where you are relative to the Lake Effect snow areas..my suburb due south of Cleveland seems to miss the brunt of the storms.   When I lived in Michigan (Ann Arbor 94-97) i remember not much snow there but a lot of ice storms.

Sounds about right......its totally green here right now, just waiting for the next round....lol

A snowblower would be nice but my driveway is about the size of a postage stamp compared to others. It is not worth the investment to me. Of course I may think differently in a few years. I will take the snow over ice storms any day. The roads are in better shape today. The Mndot do great work. Gary

2 hours ago, GRiN said:

A snowblower would be nice but my driveway is about the size of a postage stamp compared to others. It is not worth the investment to me. Of course I may think differently in a few years. I will take the snow over ice storms any day. The roads are in better shape today. The Mndot do great work. Gary

We have a yard of about 2600 sqft, but Dad decided to go and get a riding mower.....and a snow plow attachment since we have as much, if not more pavement than we do lawn.

I DID NOT get this thing today, but saw it at the Flea Market this morning. Where sub-freezing temps made sure I didn't stick around very long. Brrr! 

Seeing this on a vendor table gave me a chance to delve into some kit history, which I always enjoy.  This is the Revell "Korporal Amerika & Road Freak" kit, part of their "Freaky Riders" series released around 1970-71.

If it looks familiar, it should.  This is the old Ed Roth "Drag Nut" kit with a new name, like the 3 other "Freaky Riders" kits: "Heavy Head" (Mr. Gasser), "Shift Kicker" (Mother's Worry) and "Sleazy Rider" (Brother Rat Fink).

IOW, these are Ed Roth kits with no mention of Ed Roth on the boxes or anywhere else.  Revell also released them in Mexico (Lodela) and Japan, with the names changed to fit the local language/culture. 

This Korporal Amerika kit at the flea market was partly painted.  The vendor was asking $40 for it. 

korp.jpg

On ‎1‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 10:47 AM, crazyjim said:

You can use a snowblower year after year.  I had a giant 2 stage self propelled machine that was a beast.

We have a BIG two stage beast as well, with self propelled forward, and reverse...both with multi-speeds, although, the fastest reverse speed is still too slow for me...lol. it also has electric start, and is one-hand operational.

In my continuing quest to insure I'll have enough kits to keep me busy (;)) evenings during my upcoming "official" retirement, I snagged (cheap) two of the Garlits front-engine dragster kits. Probably won't build either OOB, but as generic representatives of period cars.

image.jpeg.a8e9a706f11c84bba1b471935a5baf5b.jpeg     image.jpeg.94321a34ef1ad9387286cf4305d0e2df.jpeg

Also got a set of relatively correct wide steel stock-car rims to do a '64 Merc...and man these are some of the best resin injection-molded styrene parts in the universe.

s-l1600.jpg

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

9 hours ago, Dann Tier said:

We have a BIG two stage beast as well, with self propelled forward, and reverse...both with multi-speeds, although, the fastest reverse speed is still too slow for me...lol. it also has electric start, and is one-hand operational.

Charming story time-  back when I bought my house in NJ the couple I bought it from relocated to New Mexico.  They left behind the mother of all snowblowers.. huge and very old.  It was much too big for the 100x100 property that didn't even have a sidewalk.  The first season, was clearing snow at the curb and this sucker was tossing snow so far it was hitting the house!  I literally did the entire cul-de-sac curb to curb just because I had it running.  I never used it beyond that.

It sat in the shed unused for years. Then my family bought the gas station.  I told my sister's husband I had this large non-running object in the shed and he was welcome to it. I thought it would be perfect for the size of the lot.  Sure enough he spent a day on it and got it running.  Then upon using it, numb nutz managed to stick his hand in the chute and instantly cut off half of two fingers.  

No good deed goes unpunished... they tried to sue my home owners policy!  (unsuccessfully!)

4 hours ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

Also got a set of relatively correct wide steel stock-car rims to do a '64 Merc...and man these are some of the best resin parts in the universe.

Resin? I thought their wheels were injection molded - they look that good. I picked up a set of their deep-dish six-lug wheels for my '67 Chevy pickup - guess I better hit them with Bleche-Wite before I have them chromed.

• ranma changed the title to Bought two totes with model's in them at the US 127 Garage sales:: here's what was inside of them...