Model Cars Magazine Forum

What did you get today? (Model Car Related Items)

16 hours ago, pack rat said:

The original Polyglas Gasser was a MODIFIED reissue of the annual Bonneville hardtop.  The radical Styline custom parts from the original hardtop annual were not included in the Gasser; it only contained the milder custom bits as found in the Bonneville convertible annual.

Here is a stock Polyglas Gasser, built basically out-of-the-box with the exception (ironically) of the Polyglas tires.    

AMT 62 Pontiac Bonneville HT (2).JPG

Nice Pontiac...!   I am all for the wider width tires with a white wall on them like MPC use to use....many models look funny with the skinny tires on them.  I wish they would put the wider width tires with a normal white wall on them in kits so they will look the part.

15 hours ago, unclescott58 said:

I wish Round 2 would reissue more of these 1/32 scale kits. The '32 and '40 Ford and '60 Thunderbird are all high on my want list. I love the fact that the '32 in this series was a three-window coupe, rather than a five-window like AMT's larger 1/25 scale kit. 

Yes, plus it doesn't seem to have that channeled/sectioned look to the body like every other AMT '32 Ford.

16 hours ago, unclescott58 said:

I wish Round 2 would reissue more of these 1/32 scale kits. The '32 and '40 Ford and '60 Thunderbird are all high on my want list. I love the fact that the '32 in this series was a three-window coupe, rather than a five-window like AMT's larger 1/25 scale kit. 

I wish Revell would reissue the Monogram 1/32s--Fiat, Willys, '34 Ford, Lotus, etc. They were kinda cool little kits! (I still have a built Lotus survivor in remarkably good shape considering it's over 50 years old.) 

23 hours ago, HomerS said:

VW - minimal assembly.....body primed

Cadillac - mostly built but unpainted...extra hood and chrome front end

Didn't "need" two more projects but for less than the cost of a Hobby Lobby kit I couldn't let it pass

VW and Cadillac kits.JPG

Ive been trying to find one of those Cadillac Johan kits for a while but never could, Need one for a BOSS HOGG Cadillac car for my Dukes Build im working on

11 hours ago, bandit1 said:

Ive been trying to find one of those Cadillac Johan kits for a while but never could, Need one for a BOSS HOGG Cadillac car for my Dukes Build im working on

Its a great kit...I had one years ago...wish I still did.   I have a HT one I need to find the body and glass for someday...hope.

Got a New Ray diecast late model GT350 Mustang from Hobby Lobby. Will have to do some research to see exactly what year it is and what it's supposed to look like, but it looks like a late Mustang to me in the box, the dark blue paint looks pretty good, and I'll bet an hour or two of Snake-fu will have it on my shelf. I'm not enough a fan of the car to do a full kit build of it. 

Two jars of Sally Hanson "Made in Jade" nail polish at Walmart, marked down from $4.97 to $1.97. For almost 50 years I've wanted to build a '69 Mustang Mach I in Silver Jade and this stuff looks awfully close. Might do a CJ Cougar in the color, too. If it's not "close enough," I'm sure I can find SOMETHING to use it on. 

Bought a cheap bottle of generic white vinegar. I'm tired of paying Testor's outrageous price for their "decal set" (priced same as their outrageous paint). It smells like vinegar and I'm betting it IS. Gonna try to make my own. Just to be safe, I'll start with a 50-50 vinegar and water mix. Will let you know how it goes--with luck, I'll be applying some decals today. 

A couple ckd off the want list this week .

A decent builder Thundercharger. Been after one of these for a while now ( would like to have a 2nd so I can build both both ways the car has appeared.)

And an original issue 1962 Chrysler 300 convertible, this is simply a parts kit I'll use the interior on a hardtop build of said car. The rest will go in the parts pile or use a trade material

image.thumb.png.44e6b0ae1fc7d422d2a38ee3a1fcaa70.png

image.thumb.png.4d13e6c485f996134cd417c126a7b709.png

11 minutes ago, gtx6970 said:

A couple ckd off the want list this week .

A decent builder Thundercharger. Been after one of these for a while now ( would like to have a 2nd so I can build both both ways the car has appeared.)

image.thumb.png.4d13e6c485f996134cd417c126a7b709.png

Bill, would it be possible to sili-clone the unique Thundercharger parts so you could convert a common MPC or Revell Charger to do your second one? Just an idea....B)

15 minutes ago, Snake45 said:

Bill, would it be possible to sili-clone the unique Thundercharger parts so you could convert a common MPC or Revell Charger to do your second one? Just an idea....B)

Meh, maybe . But for the costs / efforts ( aka my skills )  I just keep an eye out for another one

A UNIMAT SL1000   (miniature lathe / milling machine)   This one is somewhere around 40 to 45 years old.

I've wanted one of these for more than 50 years, have been needing a small lathe lots lately, had the bucks, and found one that looks almost new, in the original box, with all the parts the original setup came with...some still wrapped in oil paper.

A lot of "experts" bash these things, but I've worked on one before, and if you respect what the machine is, what it was designed to do, and what its capabilities are, you'll find it's a little jewel of a tool. I have a lathe with a 16" swing in the big-car shop, so I don't need to make large parts or take heavy cuts on this little guy anyway. The thing is incredibly versatile, and parts and accessories are readily available worldwide. Old-school German / Austrian craftsmanship.

Spindle runout new was supposed to be about half a thou, and .001"-.002" is common on older machines...perfectly adequate for model work.

s-l1600.jpg

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

The 1/32 AMT All Stars '32 3-window got here yesterday afternoon. Mint kit and I'm happy!

Now for the interesting part. Take a close look at the side view:

5aa5236706ea7_allstars32sideview.JPG.70d62da9f8d8cc1c30cd7bf1a07db1c3.JPG

Exactly like every AMT 1/25 scale '32, it has that pie-cut look to the lower body and cowl. :huh:

Paging Art Anderson: Was this originally intended as a 1/25 scale Trophy Series kit and cancelled for some reason, and the wood master used for the All Stars kit instead?

Note the crossover pipe below the oil pan; guess this was meant to be a V-8 although there's no emblem on the headlight bar.

One '61 Plymouth wheelcover, on loan so I can mold it and cast up a few sets. (Thanks Ronn P.!)

Still need the taillights...

ETA: Just poured part 1 of the two-part mold for the wheelcover, plus a couple '55 Lancer covers, plus the knockoffs for the 1/24 T-bird wire wheels. And now we wait... :D 

Edited by ChrisBcritter

On ‎3‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 11:25 AM, Snake45 said:

Bought a cheap bottle of generic white vinegar. I'm tired of paying Testor's outrageous price for their "decal set" (priced same as their outrageous paint). It smells like vinegar and I'm betting it IS. Gonna try to make my own. Just to be safe, I'll start with a 50-50 vinegar and water mix. Will let you know how it goes--with luck, I'll be applying some decals today. 

Yep.  "Contains Acetic Acid," i.e., one of the 2 components of vinegar (the other being the deadly H2O).  I went looking for an old thread where a modeler found that out the hard way - his little kid drank nearly a whole bottle of the stuff.  Maybe Testors or Solvaset, I think he was British.  They rushed the kid to a doctor and downloaded the Material Data Sheet for the decal-setting fluid.  It was mostly vinegar with a chemical binder to make it stick.  Not life-threatening and the kid completely recovered.

Here's an old Hobby Talk thread where they talk about overpriced decal setters:

http://www.hobbytalk.com/bbs1/99-science-fiction-modeling/89262-how-use-decal-set.html

1 hour ago, Mike999 said:

Yep.  "Contains Acetic Acid," i.e., one of the 2 components of vinegar (the other being the deadly H2O).  I went looking for an old thread where a modeler found that out the hard way - his little kid drank nearly a whole bottle of the stuff.  Maybe Testors or Solvaset, I think he was British.  They rushed the kid to a doctor and downloaded the Material Data Sheet for the decal-setting fluid.  It was mostly vinegar with a chemical binder to make it stick.  Not life-threatening and the kid completely recovered.

Here's an old Hobby Talk thread where they talk about overpriced decal setters:

http://www.hobbytalk.com/bbs1/99-science-fiction-modeling/89262-how-use-decal-set.html

Thanks for the comments. I tried the stuff Saturday. It didn't smell any stronger than the Testor stuff does, so I just brushed it on full-strength. It didn't hurt but I'm not sure how much it helped because it mostly beaded up and ran down the polished surface, just like water. Sounds like I need some of that "binder" stuff you mention. Or would a tiny drop of dish soap work to break the surface tension?

At any rate, I got the decals on with no help or hindrance from the white vinegar. And then I hit them with Solvaset, which laid 'em down real good. :P

14 minutes ago, Snake45 said:

Thanks for the comments. I tried the stuff Saturday. It didn't smell any stronger than the Testor stuff does, so I just brushed it on full-strength. It didn't hurt but I'm not sure how much it helped because it mostly beaded up and ran down the polished surface, just like water. Sounds like I need some of that "binder" stuff you mention. Or would a tiny drop of dish soap work to break the surface tension?

At any rate, I got the decals on with no help or hindrance from the white vinegar. And then I hit them with Solvaset, which laid 'em down real good. :P

I don't know what that "binder" is, but reading around, it seems to be a weak glue.  So along with a drop of dish soap to break the surface tension, maybe a drop of good old Elmer's water-soluble white glue would work.

On 3/10/2018 at 1:10 PM, Ace-Garageguy said:

A UNIMAT SL1000   (miniature lathe / milling machine)   This one is somewhere around 40 to 45 years old.

I've wanted one of these for more than 50 years, have been needing a small lathe lots lately, had the bucks, and found one that looks almost new, in the original box, with all the parts the original setup came with...some still wrapped in oil paper.

A lot of "experts" bash these things, but I've worked on one before, and if you respect what the machine is, what it was designed to do, and what its capabilities are, you'll find it's a little jewel of a tool. I have a lathe with a 16" swing in the big-car shop, so I don't need to make large parts or take heavy cuts on this little guy anyway. The thing is incredibly versatile, and parts and accessories are readily available worldwide. Old-school German / Austrian craftsmanship.

Spindle runout new was supposed to be about half a thou, and .001"-.002" is common on older machines...perfectly adequate for model work.

s-l1600.jpg

That looks like it was ran very little. Nice find. 

Should not be allowed in HL by myself. The Chevy I saw yesterday but hadn't got paid yet. Was really going in for the can of paint but thought I would pick up the Chevrolet if it was still there. Lo and behold it was and they put out more discounted models. Still not bad for less than twenty bucks.

SAM_0388.JPG

6 hours ago, Mike999 said:

I don't know what that "binder" is, but reading around, it seems to be a weak glue.  So along with a drop of dish soap to break the surface tension, maybe a drop of good old Elmer's water-soluble white glue would work.

I've never had any impression at all that Testor Decal Set or its Microscale equivalent had any glue or adhesive of any kind in them. 

• ranma changed the title to Bought two totes with model's in them at the US 127 Garage sales:: here's what was inside of them...