Model Cars Magazine Forum

What did you get today? (Model Car Related Items)

6 hours ago, Tom Geiger said:

The MPC kits of that era are surprisingly nice to build.   They have good detail and go together rather well.  

Agreed. I just finished up a '77 Monza I started sometime in the '80s and was surprised at how nice it really was. 

4 minutes ago, Super28 said:

Mail Call. Complete used kit. Had to have it!:D

2 (2).jpg

Way cool! I have a restorable glue bomb '63 Riv missing only the rear bumper. Am waiting for a repro from Modelhaus even as we speak. 

I actually prefer the hidden-headlight '65 Rivs to the '64-'64, but it'll be cool to have a '63 on my shelf, just because you don't see them every day. 

1 hour ago, Snake45 said:

Way cool! I have a restorable glue bomb '63 Riv missing only the rear bumper. Am waiting for a repro from Modelhaus even as we speak. 

I actually prefer the hidden-headlight '65 Rivs to the '64-'64, but it'll be cool to have a '63 on my shelf, just because you don't see them every day. 

I got a 65 and 66 unbuilt. Need a 69 and did they ever make a '71? That's the boat tail, ain't it?

Just now, Super28 said:

I got a 65 and 66 unbuilt. Need a 69 and did they ever make a '71? That's the boat tail, ain't it?

'69 was the last year of the AMT kits.  There have been resin 1/25th '71,72, and 73 boattails, but no 1/25th scale kits. 

2 hours ago, Super28 said:

I have a promo '67 molded in light blue. I've been planning for years to cut the hood out, kitbash it with '69 parts and make a full-detail '67 in metallic brick red, but now I'm thinking more along the lines of polishing up the light blue plastic. I don't have any polished plastic in that particular color. 

Just got back from the South Carolina Modeler's Association contest & swap meet in Simpsonville, SC.  Great show, guys! Along with some off-topic armor and aircraft kits, and random 1/25 parts, I picked up the following:

Monogram '30 Ford Cabriolet "Special Interest Series" (been looking for that one awhile!)

Tamiya 300SL Gullwing

Heller Citroen Type H "Fourgon" Van

Jimmy Flintstone resin bodies: '27 Ford T with track nose, and '64 Fairlane "Thunderbolt" 2-door station wagon. Ford never built a '64 2-door Fairlane wagon, but an internet search shows that some hot-rodders have built them. 

On ‎5‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 2:39 AM, ChrisBcritter said:

I guess that means you're redoing the hinges to remove the cutouts in the rear panel? Always wondered why Revell got that detail wrong.

Yes I plan to. That multi piece body went together ok, but that trunk lid bothers me to no end. I plan to add an inner lip with weatherstrip, tweak the roof for a better fit, and fashion a hidden hinge. As old as that kit is, it is not too bad otherwise. Not as nice as today's tooling, but a lot better than I otherwise thought. Now I have to find it. I bought another one in case I cannot find it.

Now I may buy a Motor City Resin Ranchero, and a Jimmy Flintstone Country Squire.

7 hours ago, Super28 said:

Mail Call. Complete used kit. Had to have it!:D

2 (2).jpg

4.jpg

3.jpg

2 (1).jpg

5.jpg

Good Luck. I love Rivieras, as I have all of the inscale AMTs except for the 67, which I sold off a couple of years  ago. I have an All American Resin '71, which has not cooperated in the least, but I have not given up on it, and an Air Trax '73, which looks to be very nice.

I got this a couple of days ago. But just got a chance to watch it today. It's a pretty good racing movie from 1932. The Crowd Roars staring James Cagney. The racing footage is pretty good. The story is fair. Cagney is great. Directed by Howard Hawks. And a good ending. I liked it. I'd give it 4 stars out of 5. Happy to add it to my collection. 

IMG_2864.JPG

The NNL North was held in Bloomington, MN today. I picked up the following kits. 1. Tom Daniel's Tijuana Taxi. 2. Monogram's Kurtis Kraft Racer. 3. MPC's '71 Plymouth Roadrunner. 4. AMT's (ex MPC) Connoisseur Classics 1932 Chrysler Imperial Roadster. Prices were all fairly reasonable. The Roadrunner was the most expensive kit. And that I got for $25.00. 

Besides those 4, I won two others in the raffle. First the MPC's 1914 Stutz Bearcat Raceabout. Very, very cool! I was very excited by that one. And second, Revell's Ferrari 612 Scaglietti. I'm not as trilled by that one. I'm not a big fan of modern Ferraris. It looks like it might be a nice kit. I just haven't decided what my plans are for that one yet. Build it? Or sell it? Still, either way I'm happy with winning it. 

IMG_2865.JPG

IMG_2866.JPG

IMG_2867.JPG

IMG_2868.JPG

IMG_2869.JPG

IMG_2870.JPG

I spent close to 4 hours sorting and organizing around my model bench work area today. Got a lot of stuff organized and can now see what I have much easier and faster. I will tackle the workbench next weekend, I was feeling a bit overwhelmed after going through all of my clutter that was around the bench.

I did use a bunch of plastic totes from Big Lots, they have ones the size of a shoe box that is perfect for storing kits that have been started and they stack nicely. They cost a whole $.97 a piece and can be re-used over and over, so once one kit is done, I can re-purpose the tote for the next kit!

The Lake Michigan Model Car Club had an auction at this month's meeting yesterday; I picked up some lonely orphans:

P1140018.JPG.fed6325f2a6cddbb3ace268fc98ce2a4.JPG

The Lindberg Vettes (two in the box) are missing body sides and wheels, so if anyone needs what's left, shoot me a PM.

I think the '48 Ford is first issue; it comes with its own display case. 

The Premier Ford Anglia 100E (or as they labeled it, "English Ford") is all there; now to start fixing all the mistakes on the wheel and window openings and find some interesting way to finish it (Gasser is a bit obvious...). Also need to do some measuring and figure out how close to 1/25 scale it really is.

Edited by ChrisBcritter

On ‎5‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 8:18 PM, unclescott58 said:

I got this a couple of days ago. But just got a chance to watch it today. It's a pretty good racing movie from 1932. The Crowd Roars staring James Cagney...

If you ever see a 1939 movie named "Indianapolis Speedway," it will be very familiar.  It's a direct re-make of "The Crowd Roars."  Very direct - even most of the dialogue is identical, so they must have just dusted off the script from 1932 and shot it.  You'll notice all the racing footage is also the same. 

Turner Classic Movies showed both movies once on the same day.  When "Indianapolis Speedway" came on, I sat there thinking, "I already saw this!"

IMDB has some neat trivia about it.  The designer of the breakaway tow bar for the racing sequences was August Duesenberg.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0022792/trivia?ref_=tt_trv_trv

Bought these kits at the SCMA Simpsonville SC show this past Saturday. Some great deals on kits and a great display of models.

Revell ASA kits, Revell & AMT NASCAR, 64 Fairlane, HUG, 9 Torino Modified Stocker and a 1/32 Monogram 65 GTO and an AMT 1/43 57 Chevy

Also 3 deca lsheets and a 50's era plastic Hot Rod.

The ASA, NASCAR , HUG,69 Torino and Fairlane kits will be used for slot car conversions

100_9299.thumb.JPG.480bdb375a86d85529651cdbe0d0ecbb.JPG

Edited by VW93
Spelling

6 hours ago, Mike999 said:

If you ever see a 1939 movie named "Indianapolis Speedway," it will be very familiar.  It's a direct re-make of "The Crowd Roars."  Very direct - even most of the dialogue is identical, so they must have just dusted off the script from 1932 and shot it.  You'll notice all the racing footage is also the same. 

Turner Classic Movies showed both movies once on the same day.  When "Indianapolis Speedway" came on, I sat there thinking, "I already saw this!"

IMDB has some neat trivia about it.  The designer of the breakaway tow bar for the racing sequences was August Duesenberg.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0022792/trivia?ref_=tt_trv_trv

The Fast and the Furious Poster

What? You guys thought Hollywood ever had an original idea?    Circa 1955  I have the VHS somewhere.

• ranma changed the title to Bought two totes with model's in them at the US 127 Garage sales:: here's what was inside of them...