Model Cars Magazine Forum

What did you get today? (Model Car Related Items)

Bought the AMT Don Prudhomme wedge dragster. Wasn't planned, but the hobby shop didn't have the Dyno Don Funny car yet and I really wanted to buy a kit.

I had forgotten about this and the Tom McEwen version. Saw it and decided to go ahead and get one before I forget about them again. I'd like to get the McEwen version as well someday.

$29.95 plus tax. Not too bad.

Thanks,

Russ

6 hours ago, ZTony8 said:

At a hot rod show yesterday I bought an unbuilt MPC Ford GT 40 Mark IV (circa 1981 version).

Fun kit. I built one about two or three years ago. My only complaint were with decals. They just weren't right. Got better and more correct decals from another source (though I can't remember where, right now). Other than that, I thought it went together pretty well. And looks pretty good. 

Once again, had to get two to get one, but still a real good deal:

5b14963f68d0f_63comet2.jpg.10410024b7c3276c8e98d7e7d39ffc08.jpg

5b14a3e503ca5_63comet6.jpg.bd3430070d3118c537ac19694af7a1ae.jpg

5b14965e74e19_61falconcoupe4.jpg.65b50fbd575738ed428318dfb5bb8e3c.jpg

Been wanting one of these '63 Comet convertibles for a long time but the prices have been jumping up lately; last unbuilt one on eBay sold for $174.99 :blink: - last one before that had a broken windshield frame and was missing the wheels/tires/axles and front seats and still sold for $43.50. This one has the usual tire melt on the wheelcovers, and hopefully I can pry the driver's butt off the front seat without much damage :rolleyes:.

The '61 Falcon is one of the cleanest builtups I've ever seen; I may flip it (I already have two '61 projects going), or I'd trade it for a good builder '66-'69 Falcon...

Picked up 2 of the ICM Model T Speedster kits, since Freetime Hobbies put them on sale last week for $19.95. 

Poking around the internet, I found pix of a 1913 Speedster in the same colors as the ICM box art.  This may be the one they referenced to make the kit, from the Ford collection???   It's identical to the kit, only missing the "Ford" script on the radiator with a "1913" script instead.  Note the Michigan Historical plate on the back.

speedster-1.jpg

speedster-2.jpg

Been a LONG wait for this one in plastic!  Delivered yesterday, the 1/35 scale WWI Lanchester Armored Car from Copper State Models (CSM).  I also got the CSM photo-etch set for this kit, though  I'm not sure it's very necessary. 

The fenders and wire wheels in this kit are amazing, some of the thinnest parts I've ever seen done in plastic.  The wheels even have separate valve stems.  That figures, CSM has been doing WWI aircraft and photo-etch parts in 1/48 for years, so they're used to doing really tiny detailed parts.  The instructions for the kit are also some of the best ever, and they're printed as a big booklet resembling a 1914 Lanchester shop manual.

There is a 1/25 car connection with CSM.  According to CSM founder Eric Wight: "A friend of mine named Bob owned The Model Car Garage (high end model car details) and was doing well with it. He became my mentor in starting CSM."  Mr. Wight recently retired and sold CSM to new owners in Riga, Latvia.

Here's a review of the kit at Modelling News, with a link to a build review:

http://www.themodellingnews.com/2018/02/in-boxed-135th-scale-lanchester.html

lanc_csm.jpg

On ‎6‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 8:16 AM, gtx6970 said:

Newest addition.

Original and only edition MPC 1972 Plymouth Duster.

I already have a clean built Arlen Vanke built from this same kit. So this one will be built replica stock, ( someday )

IMG_0944.JPG

nice one Bill.... great catch....

The '63 Comet convertible and '61 Falcon arrived today; happily the Comet's driver wasn't glued in. Now to correct the nose-high stance, fill a few gaps around the grille ends, and cut the headlight bezels at an angle to match the 1/1:

5b188a8871229_63comet-04.thumb.jpg.0385cef7f75485174659f734bc0ccde4.jpg

The wheels may be beyond hope from tire melt; maybe now I have an excuse to chrome those 13" steelies from the Revell Bronco kit - they fit the AMT compact tires.

The Falcon is better than I expected; no glue holding the glass and the body appears to be unpainted plastic with a coat of clear. Good trading material!

20 hours ago, ChrisBcritter said:

The '63 Comet convertible and '61 Falcon arrived today; happily the Comet's driver wasn't glued in. Now to correct the nose-high stance, fill a few gaps around the grille ends, and cut the headlight bezels at an angle to match the 1/1:

5b188a8871229_63comet-04.thumb.jpg.0385cef7f75485174659f734bc0ccde4.jpg

The wheels may be beyond hope from tire melt; maybe now I have an excuse to chrome those 13" steelies from the Revell Bronco kit - they fit the AMT compact tires.

The Falcon is better than I expected; no glue holding the glass and the body appears to be unpainted plastic with a coat of clear. Good trading material!

That 63 Comet Convertible and the Falcon was a good score. My 63 Comet was a little worse for wear, but I was able to get it ready for paint2005_1204Dec2005Projects0005.jpg

It's all clean and ready for paint. I have not decided on the color. And yes, that is a 63 Falcon Convertible behind it. Also waiting for paint. I may paint them the same color combination.

Nice pair! I have a '63 Falcon promo I'm restoring as well.

Got the Comet dunked in the purple pond yesterday; the paint came off, mostly - but there's some fine lacquer check and residue. Now it's soaking in 91% iso alcohol to see if the remainder can be dislodged.

Edited by ChrisBcritter

I won this last night on a FB auction. Been wanting one for years since I saw one in the video below but didn't know who made one. Just found it by chance. $23 plus shipping. I'm happy so far. Can't wait to get it into my hot little hands and see what it looks like. Curious to find out who cast it. 

56 DeSoto Convertible

http://FB_IMG_1528473877194.jpg

http://FB_IMG_1528473866570.jpg

http://FB_IMG_1528473883869.jpg

Later-

Edited by Modlbldr

5 hours ago, ewetwo said:

Nice buy Tom.

Thanks Dave.

4 hours ago, Miatatom said:

Educate this old man. There are auctions on Facebook?

Oh yes. Just search anything you are interested in (auto, military, sealed kits, parts) with auction in the search term. Easy enough.

Later-

• ranma changed the title to Bought two totes with model's in them at the US 127 Garage sales:: here's what was inside of them...