Model Cars Magazine Forum

What did you get today? (Model Car Related Items)

48 minutes ago, gtx6970 said:

Johan 1969 GTX

I Looked for the past 3 or 4 years to get one of these reasonable.

Bought 3 of them in the past 8 months , when it rains it pours I guess

Same seller had both the original issue 1969 and 1970 Roadrunners. I wasn't paying what they went for

johanGTX.jpg

Nice score!, I noticed trends like that a kit will sell for stupid money for awhile then all of sudden the market cools and nobody wants them anymore,i think the Modelhaus closing has made a impact,since you cant get replacement parts from them anymore.

I saw those.....but the '70 GTX went for more than both.

1 hour ago, kelson said:

Johan 1969 GTX

Same seller had both the original issue 1969 and 1970 Roadrunners. I wasn't paying what they went for

Edited by Khils

35 minutes ago, Khils said:

I saw those.....but the '70 GTX went for more than both.

It was a 1970 Roadrunner. I wanted it as well. But wasn't about to pay over the price it was at. Ive got one and for a decent price I would like another one . But not that much . That one got to about $140 in the 1st day or so

I might go thru my 69 GTX kits and pick the 2 best. then unload the 3rd

7 hours ago, gtx6970 said:

Johan 1969 GTX

johanGTX.jpg

So, you're the guy who snagged it! I wanted to buy it; but, it was gone after i refreshed the page. 

Picked up one of these. Another EBay score for way less than I've seen anywhere else. I guess the deals are still out there if you're patient.

Anyway, I know it's not 100% accurate, but for what I'm after, it doesn't need to be.

Brand new, factory sealed, and I have initial impressions.

Gotta love the chrome. It's not silver, it's more of a blotchy yellow chrome. Into the purple pond it goes!

And I'm not sure whay they would put the parts trees into the palstic bags and wrap them so tightly. The bag was tight, no slack at all. Fits in my hand.

Ahh well, nothing damaged, so it's all good.

20180618_190227.jpg

20180618_190308.jpg

20180618_190402.jpg

Ah, the dark ages at Ertl. Dan's (above) '75 Plymouth Duster hardtop. It's neither a Plymouth Duster, or a "hardtop." What Dan has is a reissue of the MPC '76 Dodge Dart Sport, two-door coupe. Not a bad kit. Other than it's not a Plymouth and the body style is not considered a true hardtop. Ertl near the end of its ownership of AMT and MPC, did a few strange things like the above.

Two, I've finally gotten around to picking up, after debating on them for about 47 years now. I've always been a little fearful of these two. Too many working features. Bad looking drawings in the instruction sheets I've seen. Also, I've seen few, if any completed kits. (In fact, I don't think I've ever seen a completed Mustang II in the "flesh.") And what I have seen (mainly the Cougar II) did look all that great. Yet I've always wanted to build both. I like the looks of the two cars a lot. So I decided to take the plunge, and buy them both.

I was very pleasantly surprised by what I found in each box. Some primitive design elements. I excepted that. But, overall way better than I expected. And after doing some minor subassembly, I'm even more impressed. I'm not a big fan of opening doors on most kits. Throw in opening doors, trunk, and hood, your normally looking at a nightmare on kits designed when these two first came out. As you can see from the photo below, the Mustang IIs work quite well. 

As far as what I plan on doing with each kit. The Cougar II? I'm thinking of painting it Black, instead of the Red used on the real car. Somewhere in the back of my mind, I seem to remember someone doing one in Black. And with the Silver roof, it looked great. (At least it looks great in my mind.) The Mustang II? One big change there. I don't like the White interior with Blue accents. The real Mustang I show car, and one of Hot Wheels versions of the Mustang II, are done in White with Blue stripes and an all Blue interior. This I like a lot better. And how I'll being doing my Mustang II. 

IMG_2926.JPG

IMG_2927.JPG

My wife ordered some models for me for Father’s Day . I guess she thinks it’s time I build some more plastic . Two of them came yesterday . The mini bike looks like it could be fun . The little 32 is not complete . All there except the grill shell . Seller refunded the money and said do whatever I want with the kit . Can’t be more fair than that .

AD2F0AC0-9FA4-4892-A498-43A4EAF383BD.jpeg

8 minutes ago, gtx6970 said:

Just an FYI, my high bid was just BARELY over the winning amount

Nice pickup. The seller originally had two postings which looked almost identical (looked like he used a spot lamp to illuminate the stuff on the table); except, that the body was angled differently and the bumpers and tires switched positions in the other listing.

15 minutes ago, SfanGoch said:

Beautiful kit, Kurt. Definitely not a bargain basement item.

Like I said.  But I do have some bargain kits in my stash, good for those times when I want to start *and* finish in my lifetime.

I'm on a Johan buying kick. I picked up these two a few minutes ago:

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

Unfortunately, I missed out on a built '66 Marlin and an unassembled kit. Bothe were selling for 39 bucks each. That's what I get for watching the Mets-Rockies game.

3 hours ago, SfanGoch said:

s-l1600.jpg

Almost bought that Caddy at a junk shop a couple months back (Didnt :( ) went back and it was GONE!  :( Next time i went back

4 hours ago, SfanGoch said:

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

Unfortunately, I missed out on a built '66 Marlin and an unassembled kit. Bothe were selling for 39 bucks each. That's what I get for watching the Mets-Rockies game.

Good score.

Both build into beautiful shelf pieces.

I have the Cadillac but not the Mercedes

5 hours ago, SfanGoch said:

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

Joe what color is the Cadillac molded in?. 

22 hours ago, unclescott58 said:

Ah, the dark ages at Ertl. Dan's (above) '75 Plymouth Duster hardtop. It's neither a Plymouth Duster, or a "hardtop." What Dan has is a reissue of the MPC '76 Dodge Dart Sport, two-door coupe. Not a bad kit. Other than it's not a Plymouth and the body style is not considered a true hardtop. Ertl near the end of its ownership of AMT and MPC, did a few strange things like the above.

Yeah, I know it's not accurate, but it's close enough for what I want to build. I have a theme in mind, to go along with a couple of other builds. :)

• ranma changed the title to Bought two totes with model's in them at the US 127 Garage sales:: here's what was inside of them...