Model Cars Magazine Forum

What did you get today? (Model Car Related Items)

I just snagged this on Ebay for $30! Here's where your engine came from, I'd bet. The decals are shot, and it's missing the prop/shaft and a couple of other parts, but, there is another one on there less engine and they're asking seventy something bucks, for it. I think it can look pretty nice with a new set of decals (I'll likely have to make them, myself) and some TLC.

Bud1.jpg

Bud2.jpg

Bud3.jpg

Bud5.jpg

10 hours ago, landman said:

A Merlin...

At a flea market a while back, I found a partly-built Trumpeter 1/24 scale P-51 Mustang. It was cheap so I grabbed it for the Merlin engine and other possibly useful parts: 6 machine guns, ammo belts, seat etc.  That kit also comes with 3 one-piece 1/24 scale resin figures, but not very good ones. 

On October 23, 2018 at 11:02 AM, Casey said:

Thanks Casey, I often forget about these guys, I'm an illustrator myself and would have jumped at the chance to design my own custom kit versions. But even though I love automotive design my illustration career took a different path.

Picked up a Revell Bass Buster set today. Heavy on the bass, as it only has the boat and trailer. My box is beat up but not bad. Picture is from the internet. Anyone know a good place to find instructions for this kit? Came without the instructions.

5bd11e5d393c3_Revellbassbuster.jpg.c061c992333afdaef5645c04d8606754.jpg

1 hour ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

Just received this super nice AMT 1963 Buick Riviera from a trade with Joe Zrodlowski, (SfanGoch).

What a beauty it is!

Almost too nice to re-do!........Almost!

Steve

2v2Eo7vu3xwUbWP.jpg 

I'd leave that one alone as a clean survivor. Clean as necessary, maybe detail the wheel covers and sand the tire treads, black wash in the grille if needed, but otherwise I'd leave it alone. 

I've had a restorable '63 in my stash for over a decade, missing only a rear bumper (which I finally got from Modelhaus). It's painted dark red or maroon, with some flaws. I'm gonna TRY to work with the paint that's on it, but if I polish through or it's otherwise unfixable, I'll have no qualms about stripping it and repainting it. But man, that blue one...I'd leave it pretty much as-is. It's gorgeous. 

51 minutes ago, Rusty92 said:

Picked up a Revell Bass Buster set today. Heavy on the bass, as it only has the boat and trailer. My box is beat up but not bad. Picture is from the internet. Anyone know a good place to find instructions for this kit? Came without the instructions.

https://public.fotki.com/drasticplasticsmcc/mkiba-build-under-c/instruction_sheetsh/instruction_sheets/revell-4/revell-bass-busters/bassbusterinstructions.html

4 hours ago, Snake45 said:

I'd leave that one alone as a clean survivor. Clean as necessary, maybe detail the wheel covers and sand the tire treads, black wash in the grille if needed, but otherwise I'd leave it alone. 

I've had a restorable '63 in my stash for over a decade, missing only a rear bumper (which I finally got from Modelhaus). It's painted dark red or maroon, with some flaws. I'm gonna TRY to work with the paint that's on it, but if I polish through or it's otherwise unfixable, I'll have no qualms about stripping it and repainting it. But man, that blue one...I'd leave it pretty much as-is. It's gorgeous. 

It is pretty nice, but I've never been the type to buy them to collect them.

I buy them to build them to my specifications.

It could be a while before I re-build this one, so it will remain as is........for the time being. ;)

I'm envisioning it in "Rose Mist" but I'll have to think about it.

Steve

image.png.c5884147f0df8d7aceca830de800f3bc.png

6 hours ago, Snake45 said:

X2

8 hours ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

It is pretty nice, but I've never been the type to buy them to collect them.

I buy them to build them to my specifications.

It could be a while before I re-build this one, so it will remain as is........for the time being. ;)

I'm envisioning it in "Rose Mist" but I'll have to think about it.

Steve

image.png.c5884147f0df8d7aceca830de800f3bc.png

Steve, once you own it, it's yours to do with as you like....:)

On 10/21/2018 at 10:39 AM, Mike999 said:

Same here in Upstate SC. Both of those kits just showed up.  I have a new HL very close to me and check it just about every week.  This store also finally got the Revell '85 Olds 442/FE-3X.  A HL about 25 miles away has had that kit for a long time but not my local store. The store only had 1 of those left on the shelf, so they must be selling well.

The HL's near me just started putting the '85 Olds 442/Fe-3x out on the shelves. I seen them at three different stores that are near me or my work. I picked up the Greased lightning 1948 Ford convertible today on my way home.

10 hours ago, SfanGoch said:

I'm happy that you and Steve like them.

What's not to like!

The more that I look over the Riv, the more that I want to get started on it right away!

I'm thinking of doing a quartet of '63 Buick & '64 Pontiac kits for my next "string" of builds.

The '63 Riviera, along with a '63 Electra hard top, & a '64 Grand Prix & a '64 Bonneville convertible.

I could even add a '64 Lemans convertible to that line up!

I think it would be a combination that might hold my interest long enough to finish them if I do it in the correct order. ;)

Steve

• ranma changed the title to Bought two totes with model's in them at the US 127 Garage sales:: here's what was inside of them...