Model Cars Magazine Forum

What did you get today? (Model Car Related Items)

On 10/29/2018 at 3:22 PM, GeeBee said:

Somebody stop me...... but in my defence it was a superbly cheap kit for such a rare kit

20181029_200023.jpg

20181029_195950.jpg

Geoff, is there a date on the box? IIRC this was the last time the ex-IMC VW Beetle was reissued.

Got my copy of the new Moebius Models & Model King Arnie Beswick's '65 Comet A/FX kit. Looks like a great kit, can't wait to start building it. '65 Comet has been one of the cars that I've wanted to build for a long time... :P

PA316915-vi.jpg

6 hours ago, Casey said:

Geoff, is there a date on the box? IIRC this was the last time the ex-IMC VW Beetle was reissued.

I'll have a look when my friend in France sends it across, he found it in a model shop just outside of Montpellier.

Delivered yesterday, with some other stuff.  I know, wrong scale, but I'm sure many former members of the military saw these vehicles and rode in them...hopefully not in the back! 

The Roden 1/35 scale M-43 Dodge ambulance. Unlike its earlier Dodge M-37 and M-42 Command Car kits, in this kit Roden did not provide the spare tire carrier mounted across the driver's door. The kit still has 5 rubber tires (with sidewall details), since it uses the "rubber sprue" from the earlier kits. 

Looking at photos of real vehicles, apparently not all ambulances had the spare tire carrier mounted. It's a pretty easy part to scratch-build anyway, all flat pieces, and most of it is hidden by the spare tire. 

This is a typical Roden kit, with very complete engine/chassis detail. The chassis is molded as one piece, always good, with lots of tiny parts to hang on it.   Somewhere on the internet, I found a post from a former army mechanic who worked on these vehicles.  He said EVERYTHING on it was painted olive drab, including the chassis and engine block.

It includes 4 stretchers for the rear compartment. The decals cover an olive-drab US Army vehicle or a blue Air Force ambulance, both from Vietnam 1965.  The instructions weirdly call out the blue USAF ambulance as "US Army."

rod811.jpg

Edited by Mike999
error

3 hours ago, Mike999 said:

Delivered yesterday, with some other stuff.  I know, wrong scale, but I'm sure many former members of the military saw these vehicles and rode in them...hopefully not in the back! 

The Roden 1/35 scale M-43 Dodge ambulance. Unlike its earlier Dodge M-37 and M-42 Command Car kits, in this kit Roden did not provide the spare tire carrier mounted across the driver's door. The kit still has 5 rubber tires (with sidewall details), since it uses the "rubber sprue" from the earlier kits. 

Looking at photos of real vehicles, apparently not all ambulances had the spare tire carrier mounted. It's a pretty easy part to scratch-build anyway, all flat pieces, and most of it is hidden by the spare tire. 

This is a typical Roden kit, with very complete engine/chassis detail. The chassis is molded as one piece, always good, with lots of tiny parts to hang on it.   Somewhere on the internet, I found a post from a former army mechanic who worked on these vehicles.  He said EVERYTHING on it was painted olive drab, including the chassis and engine block.

It includes 4 stretchers for the rear compartment. The decals cover an olive-drab US Army vehicle or a blue Air Force ambulance, both from Vietnam 1965.  The instructions weirdly call out the blue USAF ambulance as "US Army."

rod811.jpg

How does the Roden compare with the older Italeri Dodge kits? I have a couple versions of those. I think I have one with a 37mm antitank gun mounted on it. 

4 hours ago, Mike999 said:

The decals cover an olive-drab US Army vehicle or a blue Air Force ambulance, both from Vietnam 1965.  The instructions weirdly call out the blue USAF ambulance as "US Army."

rod811.jpg

When I joined the Air Force I was assigned to a hospital and our section vehicle was a Dodge like this one.  What I remember most is that all the controls were very heavy and if it ever had synchros in the transmission they were long gone.  Double clutching was the norm.

4 hours ago, Mike999 said:

rod811.jpg

The guy who taught me how to paint years ago, has one of these, but a radio truck. Rough riding to go to work in I'll tell you.

2 hours ago, Snake45 said:

How does the Roden compare with the older Italeri Dodge kits? I have a couple versions of those. I think I have one with a 37mm antitank gun mounted on it. 

The biggest differences I see, with just a quick look:

1. The Roden kit has a detailed, multi-part engine. 

2. Much finer detail overall, as we'd expect from a kit made in 2018 compared to one made in the early 1970s.  Parts like the radiator guard in those older kits were pretty thick and clunky, and many builders replaced them with Eduard photo-etch.  The same Roden part is very thin. I don't think it even needs scraping down with a knife. 

Those Italeri Dodge WC-** kits were originally issued by the Japanese company Peerless/MAX.  The Command Car came with a water trailer and the Personnel Carrier included a cargo trailer. Italeri took both trailers out of the kits and sold them separately.  The Peerless/MAX Ambulance had figures of a stretcher crew and a casualty. Italeri dumped those parts, too. 

Here's a review of the Roden kit, with some complaints and some praise.  The biggest praise I have: somebody finally made the M-37 series!

https://www.armorama.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=Reviews&file=index&req=showcontent&id=13995

19 hours ago, Mike999 said:

The biggest differences I see, with just a quick look:

1. The Roden kit has a detailed, multi-part engine. 

2. Much finer detail overall, as we'd expect from a kit made in 2018 compared to one made in the early 1970s.  Parts like the radiator guard in those older kits were pretty thick and clunky, and many builders replaced them with Eduard photo-etch.  The same Roden part is very thin. I don't think it even needs scraping down with a knife. 

Those Italeri Dodge WC-** kits were originally issued by the Japanese company Peerless/MAX.  The Command Car came with a water trailer and the Personnel Carrier included a cargo trailer. Italeri took both trailers out of the kits and sold them separately.  The Peerless/MAX Ambulance had figures of a stretcher crew and a casualty. Italeri dumped those parts, too. 

Here's a review of the Roden kit, with some complaints and some praise.  The biggest praise I have: somebody finally made the M-37 series!

https://www.armorama.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=Reviews&file=index&req=showcontent&id=13995

Yeah. I remember when Squadron closed out the WCs about 30 years ago, I grabbed three or four of them for, IIRC, $7 each. Later, but before Testor reissued them, an old guy in my local model club was looking desperately for one and offered to swap me "an old model car" for it (he wasn't a car guy). It turned out to be a mint, unbuilt Sonny & Cher Mustang. I had to keep from peeing my pants at my good fortune! Still have it to this day, still mint and unbuilt. :D

Kinda wanted one of these ever since I found out it existed, finally pulled the trigger. Waiting to see what the actual quality is of the white-metal parts, and whether or not I'll need a plastic Cobra donor to get it really righteous. Also need to do some careful dimension checking on the body shell. This one fills the hole in my collection where old racing-sports cars live, other than for a couple of Cobra roadsters.

Image result for Gunze Sangyo HIGH-TECH Cobra Daytona

Got the AMT reissue Toyota 4x4 pickup and Ford Lightning kits in the mail today.  Both look good at first glance.  Unfortunately, they included the wrong tailgate w/ the Lightning kit--they included the Flareside tailgate which is too narrow for a regular bed.

On ‎11‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 9:02 AM, Mike999 said:

rod811.jpg

NICE!!!, I wish they made these in 1/24!

On 31/10/2018 at 2:40 PM, Casey said:

Had it arrive this afternoon, no date at all either on the box or instructions,although I've seem photos on the internet with 1992 on the front of the box.

21609976738682_276.jpg

Edited by GeeBee

• ranma changed the title to Bought two totes with model's in them at the US 127 Garage sales:: here's what was inside of them...