Model Cars Magazine Forum

What did you get today? (Model Car Related Items)

7 minutes ago, DumpyDan said:

My son found these two cars at a Thrift Store for me, and the trailers got in a trade to a guy in Toronto.  Completely scratch built trailers and they are awesome.

Those Mercurys were a great find!  Nice clean builds.  Six thrift stores are located near me and I try to hit them every week.  One worker told me they get new stuff in on Wednesday, so I go then or Thurs.  Never found anything as nice as those Mercs.  Mostly partly-built newer kits good for parts.

And the big local Flea Market was a bust today.  I did see a pair of '60 Ford promos with the worst warping I've ever seen. The poor things were bent nearly double in the middle and looked like bananas.   I passed on a Hess Training Van/GMC Motorhome for $4.  That price reflected its condition.  I already have a couple of those in bad shape, for small parts like the running lights. And a couple more in good shape and complete.

8 hours ago, Mike999 said:

Those Mercurys were a great find!  Nice clean builds.  Six thrift stores are located near me and I try to hit them every week.  One worker told me they get new stuff in on Wednesday, so I go then or Thurs.  Never found anything as nice as those Mercs.  Mostly partly-built newer kits good for parts.

And the big local Flea Market was a bust today.  I did see a pair of '60 Ford promos with the worst warping I've ever seen. The poor things were bent nearly double in the middle and looked like bananas.   I passed on a Hess Training Van/GMC Motorhome for $4.  That price reflected its condition.  I already have a couple of those in bad shape, for small parts like the running lights. And a couple more in good shape and complete.

I do run into stuff but not very often, in March got me a Jo-Han Police car 30 bucks not started.  The kits are out there just never know when they are going to show up.  Thanks for looking Michael.  Oh ya were are you in South Carolina,? I use to have a place for the winter in Myrtle Beach and was always tough to find model related stuff.

Edited by DumpyDan

1 hour ago, DumpyDan said:

Oh ya were are you in South Carolina,? I use to have a place for the winter in Myrtle Beach and was always tough to find model related stuff.

Yep, I'm at the other end of SC, in the Upstate.  Prime moonshine liquor country years ago, since it's up in the mountains and near the borders of GA, TN and NC.  Spent many summer vacations in Myrtle Beach as a kid.

One other thing I saw at the Flea Market yesterday:  an MPC '80 El Camino promo, dirty and badly scratched, especially the glass.  It was priced at $30.  Hmm. That seemed high, especially with the shape it was in.  Stepped away from the table, whipped out the phone and went to eBay Completed Items.  A bunch of those El Caminos have sold recently, for prices as low as $7.99.  Thanks, technology!

14 minutes ago, Mike999 said:

Yep, I'm at the other end of SC, in the Upstate.  Prime moonshine liquor country years ago, since it's up in the mountains and near the borders of GA, TN and NC.  Spent many summer vacations in Myrtle Beach as a kid.

One other thing I saw at the Flea Market yesterday:  an MPC '80 El Camino promo, dirty and badly scratched, especially the glass.  It was priced at $30.  Hmm. That seemed high, especially with the shape it was in.  Stepped away from the table, whipped out the phone and went to eBay Completed Items.  A bunch of those El Caminos have sold recently, for prices as low as $7.99.  Thanks, technology!

I have to move. My thrift stores never have anything like those Mercurys. Or any models at all. And now that it's getting cold here. No more flea markets.

2 hours ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

Very cool. I bought one a few years back, and only did enough with it to verify it was potentially very useful. :D

I've had one for almost 50 years. Only use it occasionally and sparingly. I tend to save up vac jobs and then run several of them at once. 

Two jobs ago, I worked at a place that generated a LOT of scrap .020-.030 virgin white styrene. I spent a bit of my spare time there cutting the scrap into handy 3"x3.5" rectangles. Probably still have a lifetime supply of them. B)

• ranma changed the title to Bought two totes with model's in them at the US 127 Garage sales:: here's what was inside of them...