Model Cars Magazine Forum

What did you get today? (Model Car Related Items)

7 hours ago, iamsuperdan said:

Great score today.

Two factory sealed Kenworth Aerodynes. I unwrapped one to check it out.

Two factory sealed auto transport trailers.

One Coors Kenworth.

One Ford C900 with trailer.

20181129_182731.jpg

20181129_182723.jpg

20181129_182714.jpg

Very nice score, been looking for one of those transport trailers and wouldn't mind a Coors truck either.

2 hours ago, 1930fordpickup said:

1/24 scale. Scott go back one page for the rest of the answer. Just below your post. 

I went back. I still do not see the answer to my questions. I now know scale since you were kind enough to tell me with your above response. Thank you. Now to find out who makes it? 

1 hour ago, unclescott58 said:

Okay? Is this the answer to my Mercedes question? 

Yes. Here is an ebay link to the same car as the one pictured.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/MERCEDES-BENZ-W-155-200D-1968-1-24-New-Box-Diecast-model-Car-miniature/352527630865?hash=item521448c211:g:y0QAAOSwb3laCAU~

Alternatively you can search "Hachette Mercedes 1/24" in Google Images and a bunch of them will pop up as well.

7 hours ago, unclescott58 said:

Okay? Is this the answer to my Mercedes question? 

Yes.

It's part of the ongoing (since 2016) Hachette 1/24 scale "Auto Vintage" partworks series, which will go until no. 80.
The series is only available in France, a mind boggling marketing concept in our globalised world.

Some back issues can be bought for the issuing price from this outlet: https://www.journaux.fr/auto-vintage_vehicules-miniatures_7_1_458398.html

That's where I get mine from, so they do ship internationally.

Selected models have been reissued by Whitebox in different colours for the regular retail trade.
I'd be surprised if the W115 wouldn't make a comeback there.

Edited by Junkman

Got the 2019 Auto World catalog today. I'm a little disappointed. Not much new shown. And I'm surprised at how many kits are listed as being discontinued. Especially in the Lindberg line of models. One bright spot I hadn't heard about, is AMT's 1960 Chevy Custom Fleetside with Go Kart. Between the Go Kart and the box art, that will be must have. Again, a lot of stuff being discontinued. Is this something we should be worried about? 

IMG_3094.JPG

7 hours ago, unclescott58 said:

Got the 2019 Auto World catalog today. I'm a little disappointed. Not much new shown. And I'm surprised at how many kits are listed as being discontinued. Especially in the Lindberg line of models. One bright spot I hadn't heard about, is AMT's 1960 Chevy Custom Fleetside with Go Kart. Between the Go Kart and the box art, that will be must have. Again, a lot of stuff being discontinued. Is this something we should be worried about? 

I would take that as it's not in production. Should be reissued sometime  in years to come...

18 hours ago, Toner283 said:

Thanks for the link - there's some good stuff available. If the Heller Renault Estafette never materializes, I have an option; also that Simca Vedette Marly station wagon will get some CA plates and a load of surfboards when I get my hands on it! (At least one was imported to the USA.)

Just got these 3D printed ultra-detailed Stromberg 97's with the oval SP intake horns from Maple Leaf Model Works (our own Chris Drysdale - spex84) via Shapeways. They'll go on my TRaK Autorama Street Rod '49 Ford project. They arrived Wednesday and I had some time to paint them with Tamiya Titan Gold and pick out the SP tops in Molotow chrome. Gorgeous! Now to oh so carefully cut them off their sprue and glue them in place...

Chris' original 3D image:
Mapleleaf-6x2-Strombergs-SP-Tops-web.jpg

The 3D printed set I received after some paint and chrome:
DSCF6818-web.jpg

SP tops as they appear in the 1:1 world:
stromberg-97s-SP-Tops-web.jpg

1 hour ago, Bernard Kron said:

Just got these 3D printed ultra-detailed Stromberg 97's with the oval SP intake horns from Maple Leaf Model Works (our own Chris Drysdale - spex84) via Shapeways. They'll go on my TRaK Autorama Street Rod '49 Ford project. They arrived Wednesday and I had some time to paint them with Tamiya Titan Gold and pick out the SP tops in Molotow chrome. Gorgeous! Now to oh so carefully cut them off their sprue and glue them in place...

Chris' original 3D image:

The 3D printed set I received after some paint and chrome:
DSCF6818-web.jpg

SP tops as they appear in the 1:1 world:

The texture is unfortunate. Just flapping some 600 sandpaper loosely against them will reduce 3d printed texture a lot.

Local toy show scores: Absolutely perfect '67 Bonneville promo. Well, perfect except for completely missing A-frames and vent window frames and broken windshield. I can fix all that, so I considered it well worth the asking price of $20 and didn't even try to dicker. :blink:

Same guy had something I'd never seen before, '69 Firebird 400 convertible promo, molded in orange. Also in near perfect shape except for one missing wheel and tire. Rally II wheels aren't a problem but the tires were of a kind I'd never seen before, so I'd have had to replace all four, which would mean replacing the other wheels as well. Asking price was $50. I hesitated and with no further prompting the guy dropped the price to $40. I'm not a fan of '69 Firebirds nor of convertibles in general (I have several copies of the reissued hardtop kit, and an original annual), so I let it pass. Probably should have grabbed it at that price just for swap fodder. Oh well.

Got something else I'd never seen before, a '67 Chevelle diecast in 1/25-ish. WIX. The roof's a little funky in shape but otherwise it looks pretty good, about like a B-grade Welly or Maisto. Had to have it since it's black. I've stumbled into quite a collection of black diecast Chevies: '55, '57, '62, '63 Corvette, '64 Nova, TWO different '65 Chevelles and a '65 El Camino, '66 Nova, '67 Impala, '68 Chevelle, '68 El Camino, and '69 Camaro. And now this '67 Chevelle. The only ones I've gone out of my way to get were the '64 Nova and the '67 Impala (Supernatural). The rest have just sort of followed me home. I should take a picture of all of them together sometime. B)

My good friend and fellow club member and also long time MCM board member, master modeler, and all around nice guy, Curt Raitz, has gone into the aftermarket wire wheel  business with his beautiful hand-laced wire wheels. I received them midweek with instructions to try them out and see if I like 'em. I like 'em fine!

They're the real deal, with stainless wire spokes and machined aluminum rims and hubs. Hence the TruWire brand. The initial offering is for 1/24th & 1/25th scale applications and come in two diameters, .740" and .790", $25.00 USD plus shipping. They are designed to be compatible with most kit dragster motorcycle style front tires. Curt tells me he's also offering them in 1/16th scale for a slightly higher price.

I was able to test both sizes successfully with several different generally available FED kits in my stash (unfortunately I'm so Old Skool that rear-engined dragster are total MIA on my shelves). In general I would say the .740" size is a straightforward fit for most applications. The .790 inchers might require that you do some minor sanding on older, hardened tires. They are gorgeous and I'm sure will take almost any model I use them on to a whole new level. They're ideal not only for the obvious dragster uses, but also for a knockout Fad-T, some vintage applications, and maybe even for motorcycles.

Curt can be reached at miniscurtraitzing, 686 Helen Dr., Hollister, CA 95023. Email is ceraitz@gmailcom.

Truwires-790-740-product-group-shot-web.
Curt-wheel-simichromed.jpg

1 minute ago, Bernard Kron said:

My good friend and fellow club member and also long time MCM board member, master modeler, and all around nice guy, Curt Raitz, has gone into the aftermarket wire wheel  business with his beautiful hand-laced wire wheels. I received them midweek with instructions to try them out and see if I like 'em. I like 'em fine!

They're the real deal, with stainless wire spokes and machined aluminum rims and hubs. Hence the TruWire brand. The initial offering is for 1/24th & 1/25th scale applications and come in two diameters, .740" and .790", $25.00 USD plus shipping. They are designed to be compatible with most kit dragster motorcycle style front tires. Curt tells me he's also offering them in 1/16th scale for a slightly higher price.

I was able to test both sizes successfully with several different generally available FED kits in my stash (unfortunately I'm so Old Skool that rear-engined dragster are total MIA on my shelves). In general I would say the .740" size is a straightforward fit for most applications. The .790 inchers might require that you do some minor sanding on older, hardened tires. They are gorgeous and I'm sure will take almost any model I use them on to a whole new level. They're ideal not only for the obvious dragster uses, but also for a knockout Fad-T, some vintage applications, and maybe even for motorcycles.

Curt can be reached at miniscurtraitzing, 686 Helen Dr., Hollister, CA 95023. Email is ceraitz@gmailcom.

Curt-wheel-simichromed.jpg

Easily the nicest looking aftermarket dragster fronts I have ever seen! Nice work, Curt!

My courier just arrived with my order from gravity-colors Spain.  I ordered this on 29th Nov, got an email it had shipped 4 hrs later and it arrived at my door in New Zealand today the 3rd Dec.

This is the first time I've purchased from Gravity Spain and their service has been impeccable.

IMG_8552.thumb.jpg.3e4ec359e8b1c20edc7a4859020aa4dc.jpg

One more grail knocked off. Unbuilt/easy rebuilder '66-'69 Falcon kits are running a bit higher on the market than promos, so I picked this one up reasonable:

5c04ae234eaea_66falconpromo1.jpg.7e28b3f3671c823394e7447cae35be21.jpg

5c04ae2204286_66falconpromo3.jpg.dc645dd768f3fe9c1bb72a4b18c71160.jpg

5c04ae24bc154_66falconpromo2.jpg.912ccdf9047a334f0431dc9a022b09fc.jpg

Interesting thing here is these promos are basically identical to the kits; once you dismantle them and get the hood and engine filler plate off, you can add an engine and detail it to your heart's content. A shortened AMT Fairlane chassis should fit if you really want to go whole hog detailing it. Plus the Cycolac/ABS plastic used for promos isn't affected by lacquer, IIRC (anyone else care to verify?).

One oddity: AMT got the headlights about 1mm too small, as can be seen in this shot of my great-aunt's car :):

abfalcon2a.jpg.9f824d347d66c12cce5a67ac0d39d028.jpg

Edited by ChrisBcritter

My wife bought me this as one of my Christmas gifts . I don’t get it now but was able to look it over . No instructions are included and the photo sheet says as much . All that is included by way of instructions is a few color photos of a completed model . Has anyone here built one of these and can shed any light on assembly directions  ? 

F3A7C87F-D68E-45C6-BB91-6FFF929F2E9B.jpeg

19 hours ago, ChrisBcritter said:

One more grail knocked off. Unbuilt/easy rebuilder '66-'69 Falcon kits are running a bit higher on the market than promos, so I picked this one up reasonable:

5c04ae234eaea_66falconpromo1.jpg.7e28b3f3671c823394e7447cae35be21.jpg

5c04ae2204286_66falconpromo3.jpg.dc645dd768f3fe9c1bb72a4b18c71160.jpg

5c04ae24bc154_66falconpromo2.jpg.912ccdf9047a334f0431dc9a022b09fc.jpg

Interesting thing here is these promos are basically identical to the kits; once you dismantle them and get the hood and engine filler plate off, you can add an engine and detail it to your heart's content. A shortened AMT Fairlane chassis should fit if you really want to go whole hog detailing it. Plus the Cycolac/ABS plastic used for promos isn't affected by lacquer, IIRC (anyone else care to verify?).

One oddity: AMT got the headlights about 1mm too small, as can be seen in this shot of my great-aunt's car :):

abfalcon2a.jpg.9f824d347d66c12cce5a67ac0d39d028.jpg

I have one of those myself for a future build. I would love to see how you get the hood out of it.

• ranma changed the title to Bought two totes with model's in them at the US 127 Garage sales:: here's what was inside of them...