Model Cars Magazine Forum

What did you get today? (Model Car Related Items)

Stuff and things. Lotsa styrene strip and shape stock, 2-56 threaded rod and nuts, and some goo. The Rustall had been sitting on the shelf at the LHS, all alone and sad, for years. Should be interesting to see how well it works. I'm hoping it's easily removable, as I want to "rust" and heavily weather some vintage HO scale locomotives to populate the waiting area outside a rebuild facility, and to be able to remove it during the actual upgrades/rebuilds. And man-oh-man. That fine white Tamiya putty is something really special for very small fills and pinholes (so far).

DSCN1167.thumb.JPG.7ed49db532dd4298f8c745411443a69e.JPG

DSCN1130.thumb.JPG.1aeb533c3e1f6271159d03aede8f3d52.JPG

DSCN1129.thumb.JPG.7c8872d17273851b5833539947d1b0d4.JPG

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

Evergreen strip is indispensable. If the RUSTALL doesn't work out, check out the rust pigments and other neat weathering stuff from Vantage Modeling Solutions

Then, there's SDW Rust pigments from True Earth. These are water soluble; so, it'll be a cinch to remove them when necessary. Us treadhead modelers like to stay on top oif important things like weathering an AFV. :D

19 minutes ago, SfanGoch said:

Evergreen strip is indispensable.

Agreed. I went on an Evergreen Bender in a local model railroad shop about a decade ago, and bought about a dozen packages of various sizes of strips and rods. They are constantly coming in handy. Used one of the rods just the other day. It was exactly what I needed. 

16 hours ago, cobraman said:

My wife bought me this as one of my Christmas gifts . I don’t get it now but was able to look it over . No instructions are included and the photo sheet says as much . All that is included by way of instructions is a few color photos of a completed model . Has anyone here built one of these and can shed any light on assembly directions  ? 

F3A7C87F-D68E-45C6-BB91-6FFF929F2E9B.jpeg

I also have one of those acme kits... Mine is the altered kit with a vintage hemi....

On 12/2/2018 at 12:31 PM, Snake45 said:

Local toy show scores: Absolutely perfect '67 Bonneville promo. Well, perfect except for completely missing A-frames and vent window frames and broken windshield. I can fix all that, so I considered it well worth the asking price of $20 and didn't even try to dicker. :blink:

Got something else I'd never seen before, a '67 Chevelle diecast in 1/25-ish. WIX. The roof's a little funky in shape but otherwise it looks pretty good, about like a B-grade Welly or Maisto. Had to have it since it's black. I've stumbled into quite a collection of black diecast Chevies: '55, '57, '62, '63 Corvette, '64 Nova, TWO different '65 Chevelles and a '65 El Camino, '66 Nova, '67 Impala, '68 Chevelle, '68 El Camino, and '69 Camaro. And now this '67 Chevelle. The only ones I've gone out of my way to get were the '64 Nova and the '67 Impala (Supernatural). The rest have just sort of followed me home. I should take a picture of all of them together sometime. B)

And since y'all like pretty pictures, here they are: 

67BonnevillePromo03.jpg.963608fa943a273b1ffb537496794593.jpg

67BonnevillePromo05.jpg.3ea0dffcd744b0b560fa2f23bcfb1179.jpg

67ChevelleDC04.jpg.88ca81a6794bc73c6e00c8563c82b20d.jpg

67ChevelleDC07.jpg.f435caa37dd24e960c4166e1d5b7e90c.jpg

6 hours ago, Junkman said:

I have the Deuce roadster.

ACME deliberately doesn't provide detailed assembly instructions, because in true hot rodder style, they want you to create your own rendition.

Well then with all the extra parts included this should be interesting.

20 hours ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

If you look very carefully at the photo, you'll notice the hood is not molded as one piece with the body shell.

The hood is a separate piece, but is is glued down tight on mine. I bought a hood just in car I have to break it to remove it. I hope to get the hood out without breaking it, as it is a nice piece.

19 hours ago, Snake45 said:

And since y'all like pretty pictures, here they are: 

67ChevelleDC04.jpg.88ca81a6794bc73c6e00c8563c82b20d.jpg

67ChevelleDC07.jpg.f435caa37dd24e960c4166e1d5b7e90c.jpg

If I recall correctly that Chevelle is part of a Wix three-car set. Came with a Bronco? Tow vehicle, a flat deck open trailer and then the "race car" Chevelle. Both the Chevelle and the Bronco are coin banks. I think if you were to paint the roll cage or remove the roll cage the roof would look look more normal. The roll cage hanging down below the drip rail like that kind of throws your eye off.

Wix also made at least one other three car set with a 59 El Camino tow rig the same flat deck trailer and a 57 Chevy race car to put on the trailer.

27 minutes ago, Toner283 said:

If I recall correctly that Chevelle is part of a Wix three-car set. Came with a Bronco? Tow vehicle, a flat deck open trailer and then the "race car" Chevelle. Both the Chevelle and the Bronco are coin banks. I think if you were to paint the roll cage or remove the roll cage the roof would look look more normal. The roll cage hanging down below the drip rail like that kind of throws your eye off.

Wix also made at least one other three car set with a 59 El Camino tow rig the same flat deck trailer and a 57 Chevy race car to put on the trailer.

Yes, it was part of a set just as you describe and the guy had the trailer and Blazer but had them priced separately so I was able to get this for just $10 by itself. 

You might be right about the roll cage. I think I'll take it out, and install a second seat, or, more likely, a set of matching bucket seats of some kind. B)

Flea Market Day!  Where it was a balmy 28 degrees F or so. Found an Eldon Bob Reisner Sand Draggin.'  No instructions, partly built and appears to be missing one wheel back.  But it has an extra set of rear tires. And it was cheap, so I couldn't resist.

sand-drag.JPG

On 12/2/2018 at 11:34 PM, ChrisBcritter said:

One more grail knocked off. Unbuilt/easy rebuilder '66-'69 Falcon kits are running a bit higher on the market than promos, so I picked this one up reasonable:

5c04ae234eaea_66falconpromo1.jpg.7e28b3f3671c823394e7447cae35be21.jpg

5c04ae2204286_66falconpromo3.jpg.dc645dd768f3fe9c1bb72a4b18c71160.jpg

5c04ae24bc154_66falconpromo2.jpg.912ccdf9047a334f0431dc9a022b09fc.jpg

Interesting thing here is these promos are basically identical to the kits; once you dismantle them and get the hood and engine filler plate off, you can add an engine and detail it to your heart's content. A shortened AMT Fairlane chassis should fit if you really want to go whole hog detailing it. Plus the Cycolac/ABS plastic used for promos isn't affected by lacquer, IIRC (anyone else care to verify?).

One oddity: AMT got the headlights about 1mm too small, as can be seen in this shot of my great-aunt's car :):

abfalcon2a.jpg.9f824d347d66c12cce5a67ac0d39d028.jpg

Got a sunfaded 1966 promo from an auction a couple months missing the grille and both bumpers.  It was cheap enough to hold while I look for the parts

• ranma changed the title to Bought two totes with model's in them at the US 127 Garage sales:: here's what was inside of them...