Model Cars Magazine Forum

What did you get today? (Model Car Related Items)

^^^ Tasty. I want one. 

In other news, a decently built Johan '60 Olds arrived today. Can't tell yet what it's painted with, but the original builder sanded it a little prior, and whatever it is, it's well stuck to the car. A vigorous rub with 90% isopropyl alcohol at least got some black on the cloth, so I have hope she'll strip completely. Pardon the blurry seller shot.

s-l1600.jpg

One of the guys I work with occasionally has been a fixture in the Atlanta area sports-car scene for decades. He owned an Alpine A110 way back when we were both wild and crazy, so when one came up for about half of what they usually go for, I kinda had to jump on it.

Image result for tamiya alpine a110

8 hours ago, Scott Colmer said:

Just picked this up on e-bay. It's a good companion to the Monojet car I got a few years back. They are vintage 1946, but they do not seem to command a big price - under 20.00.

IMG_2177-vi.jpg

Please do a review on this one. I want to see more! Show us more of what came in the box. Including the instructions. I'd also be interested in see this built. All ways cool to see history of our hobby. 

On 12/4/2018 at 5:10 PM, Ron Hamilton said:

The hood is a separate piece, but is is glued down tight on mine. I bought a hood just in car I have to break it to remove it. I hope to get the hood out without breaking it, as it is a nice piece.

I had to break my hood off, as the glue used to secure the hood melted the plastic underneath. Fortunately, I have both a styrene hood and a Modelhaus resin hood available to me. After I finish this note, I am going to clean up the remnants of the glue and hood from the Falcon body.

Here's my latest acquisition. A Pyro 1/32 scale '34 Plymouth. Other than the lack of chrome, I like it. I've been picking up and building and few of these old Pyro kits in the last year or two. They are much better kits than I remember them to be. And with my present modeling skills, they look pretty nice when they are done. 

IMG_3114.JPG

21 hours ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

One of the guys I work with occasionally has been a fixture in the Atlanta area sports-car scene for decades. He owned an Alpine A110 way back when we were both wild and crazy, so when one came up for about half of what they usually go for, I kinda had to jump on it.      

Some fun Tamiya Trivia about the Alpine A110 and its paint. From the Internet, so you know it's 100% correct...cough: 

When the Alpine kit was first released, Tamiya also released a special color of their TS spray paint for it. Unlike every other Tamiya spray paint, that one didn't have a number.  It was just called "TS Alpine Blue."  Tamiya eventually took it out of production for a while, and builders had to mix their own.  The Alpine Blue is back now, but Tamiya gave it a number and changed its name:  TS-54 Light Metallic Blue. Tamiya also does TS-19 Metallic Blue, but it's noticeably darker.  And nowadays, Zero and other paint brands also do an "Alpine Blue."

8 hours ago, Ron Hamilton said:

I had to break my hood off, as the glue used to secure the hood melted the plastic underneath. Fortunately, I have both a styrene hood and a Modelhaus resin hood available to me. After I finish this note, I am going to clean up the remnants of the glue and hood from the Falcon body.

I got the hood remnants out of the 66 Ford Falcon promo, and the replacement good fits pretty good. I have to do a little file and putty worth to get the edges absolutely clean before primer and paint.. I am leaning towards turquoise with a beige interior. A friend of mine's father had a 66 Fairlane in that color combination. I also cut the dashboard from the interior tub, and the engine plate popped out of the chassis. Now I have to source a 289 V8 for my 66, 67, and 69 Falcons I am restoring I don't know what that thing AMT put in the 66 through 69 Falcon kits as an engine. I have to have the chrome for all three cleaned up and related.

The eagle landed today so I went to HL to get the Ford Lightning but the Conroe store didn't have any. Saw them in Huntsville the other day so will pick one up next trip to Huntsville. What I did snag was the only Foose truck on the shelf. Not normally my style but after reading some reviews and seeing some of the great builds of this kit on the forum I decided to go ahead and get one. Also picked up a can of Testers Arctic Blue Metallic for a long stalled 64 Thunderbolt.

SAM_0566.JPG

On 12/11/2018 at 3:30 PM, unclescott58 said:

Here's my latest acquisition. A Pyro 1/32 scale '34 Plymouth. Other than the lack of chrome, I like it. I've been picking up and building and few of these old Pyro kits in the last year or two. They are much better kits than I remember them to be. And with my present modeling skills, they look pretty nice when they are done. 

IMG_3114.JPG

You should cast up some copies of that Mopar flat six - the 1/35 armor crowd would go for them to detail out their Dodge military vehicles.

10 hours ago, ChrisBcritter said:

You should cast up some copies of that Mopar flat six - the 1/35 armor crowd would go for them to detail out their Dodge military vehicles.

Only for the old Peerless-MAX/Italeri 1/35 scale Dodges. And we'd have to scratch-build the rest of the engine compartment.  The WC-xx Dodges released by Skybow/AFV Club come with very detailed engines.  This one was built by a guy on the FSM forum, who said: "I just wired the spark plugs and that's about it."

http://cs.finescale.com/fsm/modeling_subjects/f/3/t/137792.aspx

DSC_5097.jpg

Edited by Mike999
error

On ‎12‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 6:19 PM, Snake45 said:

Agreed. I went on an Evergreen Bender in a local model railroad shop about a decade ago, and bought about a dozen packages of various sizes of strips and rods. They are constantly coming in handy. Used one of the rods just the other day. It was exactly what I needed. 

I use the stuff all the time.

Years ago, while living in Alaska, I found a new model shop one day. While looking at their Evergreen packages I noticed that they were priced awfully low. I bought around 10 packages of various sizes and shapes for  a few dollars. I figured that they were having a grand opening sale. The young kid behind the counter had no idea. It wasn't until a few weeks later that it dawned on me that the prices were for each strip, not the entire pack. I had never seen a store selling them by the strip so it didn't pop into my head.

Later-

• ranma changed the title to Bought two totes with model's in them at the US 127 Garage sales:: here's what was inside of them...