Model Cars Magazine Forum

What did you get today? (Model Car Related Items)

Nuttin' much. Just a repop of the old 1/24 MantaRay slot car body. Looking a lot like a bubbletop single-seat Cheetah, I always likes these when I was a kid. Plan is to use it as the basis for another unusual couldabeen M/SP drag car.

I was pleasantly surprised when I took it out to look at, as all the shots of them assembled as slot cars show the bodies hacked and warped on to ill-fitting frame brackets. But the body itself is nicely proportioned, just as I remember them from the dim recesses of time.  :D

s-l1600.jpg

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

On 12/12/2018 at 6:05 PM, Renegade said:

The eagle landed today so I went to HL to get the Ford Lightning but the Conroe store didn't have any. Saw them in Huntsville the other day so will pick one up next trip to Huntsville. What I did snag was the only Foose truck on the shelf. Not normally my style but after reading some reviews and seeing some of the great builds of this kit on the forum I decided to go ahead and get one. Also picked up a can of Testers Arctic Blue Metallic for a long stalled 64 Thunderbolt.

SAM_0566.JPG

It is a very nice kit to build.  I did mine for the 24 hour build.  Things like the exhaust and the glass just pop into place.  I bought 2 more. Another one to build at my leisure and one to put that amazing chassis under something else!

On 12/3/2018 at 9:19 PM, Snake45 said:

Agreed. I went on an Evergreen Bender in a local model railroad shop about a decade ago, and bought about a dozen packages of various sizes of strips and rods. They are constantly coming in handy. Used one of the rods just the other day. It was exactly what I needed. 

For years when I went to hobby shops and wanted to round up my order, I'd always add a few packs of Evergreen. I have quite a collection.  I should do inventory and fill in the sizes I don't have.  I just did that with brass rod.

1 hour ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

Nuttin' much. Just a repop of the old 1/24 MantaRay slot car body. Looking a lot like a bubbletop single-seat Cheetah, I always likes these when I was a kid. Plan is to use it as the basis for another unusual couldabeen M/SP drag car.

I was pleasantly surprised when I took it out to look at, as all the shots of them assembled as slot cars show the bodies hacked and warped on to ill-fitting frame brackets. But the body itself is nicely proportioned, just as I remember them from the dim recesses of time.  :D

s-l1600.jpg

What was your source for this? I'd like to see what else they might have available. 

SHAPEWAYS:  1954 GM C.O.E. four door cab, Ferrari Berlinetta, and Ferrari GTO seats.  Now I feel stupid, the Berlinetta is 1/25 scale, all my Ferrari kits are 1/24, need to really REALLY read the scale when ordering.  The seats look really nice, but they are more appropriate for the California than the GTO, so the R&MCoM resin seats are still the best available.  The COE is really rough, that's going to take a lifetime of sanding to make right, not to mention making everything else.

IMG_8836_Fotor.jpg

IMG_8837_Fotor.jpg

IMG_8840_Fotor.jpg

IMG_8842_Fotor.jpg

Edited by 89AKurt

17 hours ago, martinfan5 said:

That COE is neat looking, but good god , you can see how rough it is.

Cant convince me that 3D parts are worth it yet......its causing ALOT more work at this point. What good is all that detail, when it looks like it has barnicals growing all over it?  "It has THE best details"......until you sand all that junk off it......I think it would be great for things that need a texture, like Hemi valve covers, Ferrari F-40 dash+seats, grippy steering wheels, or even suede leather....

Edited by Dann Tier

7 minutes ago, Dann Tier said:

Cant convince me that 3D parts are worth it yet......its causing ALOT more work at this point. What good is all that detail, when it looks like it has barnicals growing all over it?  "It has THE best details"......until you sand all that junk off it......I think it would be great for things that need a texture, like Hemi valve covers, Ferrari F-40 dash+seats, grippy steering wheels, or even suede leather....

Its getting there, ive seen 3D printed parts that dont need any sanding, so it all comes down to the printer that is being used.  But yes, you make valid points.

• ranma changed the title to Bought two totes with model's in them at the US 127 Garage sales:: here's what was inside of them...