Model Cars Magazine Forum

What did you get today? (Model Car Related Items)

3 hours ago, Jon Cole said:

After an unsettling five week wait, my '66 Cadillac kit finally arrived from Japan. These make such cool sleds! And it won't be yellow when I'm done. 

20181214_190400.jpg

20181214_190420.jpg

20181214_190443.jpg

I’ve been wanting one as well. Looks like a good kit. Those Japanese models just fall together so nicely. 

12 hours ago, Rusty92 said:

I’ve been wanting one as well. Looks like a good kit. Those Japanese models just fall together so nicely. 

I think this may be originally a Johan tool, tho Hasegawa has had it in their lineup before. Only containing 41 parts, there's no much to it.

Edited by Jon Cole

It is. Using the '65 CDV HT instructions as a reference (don't have the '66), there are approximately 61 parts used for the stock version. Eighteen are used for the wheels/tires/front suspension. So, 41 parts in this kit sounds reasonable considering Johan simplified the kits when re-released in the "USA Oldies" series.

1 hour ago, Jon Cole said:

I think this may be originally a Johan tool, tho Hasegawa has had it in their lineup before. Only containing 41 parts, there's no much to it.

The only one of these I've seen is the '66 Pontiac, and it's obviously NOT from the original MPC molds but it's pretty clear that it was pirated from it. 

They were originally produced by Doyusha for slot car use and were copied from the Jo-Han, AMT and MPC promos - they don't use the original tooling.

The Jo-Han '66 Caddy front bumper/grille doesn't quite fit the Japanese body; I know because I had the Hasegawa kit and bought a Jo-Han hearse to detail it out (this was 30-some years ago when they were cheap). I did some test fitting but ended up selling both together before starting the project.

Just now, Snake45 said:

I believe on all these, the bodies are stock, but the interiors and chassis are pretty generic. 

I remember these kits when they were out in the 80's. The interiors and chassis were generic. But, I'm wondering mainly about the wheels and tires in this recent release? In the photo of the open box above, the tires look like they may have a very short sidewall. Low rider style? I would be interested in this kit, if it can be built as a basically "stock" '66 Cady. I'm sure for licensing reasons, things like the nameplates and stock Cadillac emblems maybe missing. And that would be okay with me, as long as it looked stock otherwise. 

22 hours ago, Jon Cole said:

After an unsettling five week wait, my '66 Cadillac kit finally arrived from Japan. These make such cool sleds! And it won't be yellow when I'm done. 

Any chance you could share these (and a few others, if you're willing) pics in the Review topic, please?: 

Okay. After looking the info at Hobby Search, using the link shown in Joe's post above. The kit is set up to be built strictly as a low rider only. No stock wheels or tires are included. As such, it's not something I'll be looking at adding to my collection. 

By the way, several other "low rider" kits in my collection do have the option of building other variations. This one does not. 

Edited by unclescott58

19 hours ago, SfanGoch said:

I'm not concerned with your perception of my comment. I stated the obvious; no more, no less. P.A.T.D.

You want info?

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/automotion/hasegawa-1966-cadillac-conversion-t419.html

Peruse the instructions at Hobby Search and make your own determination as to how you can build it. It ain't hard to find. Google helps them who help themselves.

REALLY???!!!

3 hours ago, crazyjim said:

Today's mail brought 12 bottles of Tru-Color paint from Arizona Hobbies. I placed the order just 4 days ago. Good place to do business and sells Tru-Color paint at a good price.

I just bought and tried some Tru-Color metal colors. They are very good paints. Some of the jars have an evaporation problem and need better sealing. Acetone works great for thinning them.

Picked up another McLaren. I didn't have a high-wing car with the Bruce-and Denny livery decals. Now I do. One of the others is slated to donate its guts to a McLaren M6GT anyway. As the M8 is evolved from the M6, a conversion-backdating of the chassis to reasonable M6 accuracy is feasible. Not real cheap, but the supply is rapidly drying up...and there won't be any more.

Image result for accurate miniatures mclaren

Also snagged a twofer pack of Batmobiles cheap. One snapper, one glue. One will be rebuilt as a more accurate Lincoln Futura.

Polar-Lights-Batmobile-Batman-glue-amp-snap-twin-pack-1-25-model-kit-new-907

• ranma changed the title to Bought two totes with model's in them at the US 127 Garage sales:: here's what was inside of them...