Model Cars Magazine Forum

What did you get today? (Model Car Related Items)

1 hour ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

Couldn't pass this up for kinda reasonable money, as it represents CSX 2299, and was supposedly scaled from the real, original car. Though it's only a curbside, it's one helluva (sorry...I'll never be cool enough to say "hella") fine kit.

s-l1600.jpg

Very nice ! I need to open up the wallet and get one of those.

A first-issue, missing a few engine parts, but otherwise complete and remarkably cheap. Bought it specifically for the "artillery" wheels the first issue ($1.49) of this kit had, before the tooling was modified to remove the slots. Unfortunately, all 4 wheels have casting flaws, making them unusable as-is for masters for resin repops, or on a model. Upside is that the box is excellent, the best one of these I've seen in many years. It's also fascinating to see how well the chopped-top section fits the body of this kit. VASTLY SUPERIOR to the "restored" version released recently.

s-l1600.jpg

1 hour ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

Unfortunately, all 4 wheels have casting flaws, making them unusable as-is for masters for resin repops, or on a model.

sorry to hear that, guess the search goes on for the artillery wheels.

I just received this kit. Absolutely complete all but 4 or 5 parts still on the sprue's even the decals are in nice shape.

Jo-Han (GC-3100) don't know what year it was produced. It does have a barcode on the box.

Tinkers-vi.jpg

1 minute ago, STYRENE-SURFER said:

...sorry to hear that, guess the search goes on for the artillery wheels...

I have one more virgin on the way, considerably more expensive, but complete. If it doesn't have at least one perfect wheel, I'll go to plan B.  

Nice score on the Maverick. I've always wanted one, never got around to hunting one down though.  :D

10 minutes ago, STYRENE-SURFER said:

This Wild Willie Borsch "Winged Express" arrived yesterday. Plan is to bash it with a Revell Austin Healey kit I found a few months ago:wacko:

I am feeling faint with what is about to happen.  My first car was an Austin Healey 100-6. :o

Got this today in a trade with another board member: A started old Monogram Bugatti 35, entirely suitable for a little project I have in mind. Immediately set it together with some stuff that just happened to be on the workbench at the same time. Does this give you an idea of what I have in mind? B)

Bugatti001.jpg.dc6e82227ee026cefa9fbbd8deb6e38d.jpg

Bugatti004.jpg.41493624ff0352bfd3cdbb309384ced8.jpg

3 hours ago, Snake45 said:

Got this today in a trade with another board member: A started old Monogram Bugatti 35, entirely suitable for a little project I have in mind. Immediately set it together with some stuff that just happened to be on the workbench at the same time. Does this give you an idea of what I have in mind? B)

Yes,  what are you going to do under the bonnet? Thats a cool old kit you have there.

12 hours ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

Bought it specifically for the "artillery" wheels the first issue ($1.49) of this kit had, before the tooling was modified to remove the slots. Unfortunately, all 4 wheels have casting flaws, making them unusable as-is for masters for resin repops, or on a model.

How about a photo of those wheels when you get them, even if they're flawed, pleeeeze? I never knew they came that way.

A friend of mine in my car club back in CA is selling off a bunch of his kits, and I'm getting a Monogram MG-TC from him. Always wanted to build one after reading the 1954 novel The Red Car by Don Stanford when I was a kid, and I doubt the kit will be reissued any time soon.

Just ordered this goodie from eBay:

5c4015f1d58d9_eiscovacuumpump.jpg.e9157b2e54a8e071d6cdc6dee6f00582.jpg

Eisco hand operated vacuum pump; works with a bell jar and got it for a fraction of the cost of a new one. I'm going to experiment with it to see if it will pull bubbles out of my resin castings. Wish me luck...

Edited by ChrisBcritter

1 hour ago, ChrisBcritter said:

How about a photo of those wheels when you get them, even if they're flawed, pleeeeze? I never knew they came that way.

These shots were posted on another thread. Before I saw them there, I had no idea they existed.

20181215_175854.jpg

Many of the slot wheels apparently have some projections where there should be slots (the issue with mine) and there is speculation that AMT took a rather simple expedient and just milled the slots flush in the tool, rather than making the additional effort to correct the problem. This was possible because there are full-scale "wide-5" wheels with no slots as well.

For more info, see page 2 of this thread:

20 hours ago, STYRENE-SURFER said:

sorry to hear that, guess the search goes on for the artillery wheels.

I just received this kit. Absolutely complete all but 4 or 5 parts still on the sprue's even the decals are in nice shape.

Jo-Han (GC-3100) don't know what year it was produced. It does have a barcode on the box.

Tinkers-vi.jpg

I bought that same kit in the late '80s, mostly for the Cammer.  I built it curbside.  Wish I'd held onto it.  

39 minutes ago, JJ Deuce said:

I bought that same kit in the late '80s, mostly for the Cammer.  I built it curbside.  Wish I'd held onto it.  

My copy of that kit, bought in the '80s, didn't come with the cammer, just the 429. I wanted a cammer in it so I used one from the Comet, which still had it. 

14 hours ago, Snake45 said:

Oh this is such a beautiful kit.  In my mind an all time classic kit.

Now as for what you might do with it, well the mind boggles. :lol:

Scan_20190117.jpg.7c333ec1751a50ba635ec07e38a14399.jpg

• ranma changed the title to Bought two totes with model's in them at the US 127 Garage sales:: here's what was inside of them...