Model Cars Magazine Forum

What did you get today? (Model Car Related Items)

19 hours ago, Casey said:

Thank you to Don Sikora II for finding the wheel backs from this kit and sharing that info. :)

IMG_20190224_181943.jpg

Also pickup up this one, mostly out of curiosity, and general oddness of IMC kits:

IMG_20190226_102103.thumb.jpg.5dc836ed9d002fa7409270c5b75294d9.jpg

Nice find...!!!  I built that as a kid...good kit but some fit issues with parts...still a good kit and good memories.

Mr. Mailman brought me a couple things I've been wanting for a LONG time: 

1. Some Bandit Resins phantom 440+6 hood for MPC '69 Cuda. Thinking of trying to build a phantom '69 AAR Cuda. I have another cool idea, too. 

2. AMT Craftsman '65 Chevelle, an eBay score. Seems to be complete, except for taillights, and I can borrow those from an old AWB funny car body and sili-clone them. The body's in primer but seems to be VERY straight and clean. Thinking of stripping it and prepping it and offering it to a GOOD, reputable resincaster so we can ALL have accurate, reasonably priced resin '65 Chevelles.  At the very least, I'll sili-clone the rear panel myself so I can convert some Revell Z16s to the much more common non-Z16s. 

My Hobbylinc score that came in a couple days ago. My plans for all but the Suburban are self-explanatory, while I need to order the resin Suburban panel body from Jimmy Flintstone to make my shop truck. I've heard a lot of good things about the glue, and needed to pick up some of the sanding sticks for tight corners and hard to reach areas. The mini highway was a curiosity purchase and while being too narrow for 1/25(even though it was advertised as G scale) I can certainly still use it for what it was intended for with a little imagination and ingenuity.

Oh, and the receiver was bought earlier and is already being used as the main piece of my Home Theater setup because my previous one fried out.

DSCN2999.JPG

DSCN2990.JPG

32 minutes ago, Spex84 said:

Wow, that's an impressive pile, Craig!

//I recently picked up an AMT '57 T-bird mostly original in-box (missing engine only) and a stack o' parts pack engines, also an Aurora Grilles parts pack.

Nice, I've seen those engine parts packs before and they seem like they would be real nice to have.

The first two kits I ever received and built with the help of mother, were Aurora's Dracula's Dragster and Frankenstein's Flivver. Got both at the same time, way back in 1965. A couple of years ago I picked up and built a copy the of Polar Lights repop of Aurora's Dracula's Dragster. Now I've decided it was time to add Polar Lights reissue of Frankenstein's Flivver. It arrived in yesterday's mail. Kooky Kool! 

IMG_3325.JPG

IMG_3326.JPG

IMG_3327.JPG

Edited by unclescott58

Stopped by Hobby Lobby today, and saw the girl who takes care of the model section pricing a big box of models(same old stuff), and I asked her if she had gotten anything new. We walked over to the model shelf, and she pulled an old kit off the shelf and reached behind it, and pulled out a 59 Imperial, then pulled out another old kit, and pulled out a 65 Riviera. I told her that I was looking for the Imperial, and she said "great, now I can order another one". I asked her if she only ordered one at a time, and she said " yes, when it's replacing an old kit, she orders one until the old one sells, but she might try to get two next time". I got it with a coupon for $19.00. Good timing, eh?

Picked these up today at the toy show in Albany, New York. Lots of people. Also went to Hobby Lobby in Latham, New York. Pleantly of models. If your close they have the Boss Mustang kit.,

98BC086F-4D8C-4014-9AAB-5D5075CA7260.jpeg

Edited by ewetwo

3 hours ago, ewetwo said:

Picked these up today at the toy show in Albany, New York. Lots of people. Also went to Hobby Lobby in Latham, New York. Pleantly of models. If your close they have the Boss Mustang kit.,

Nice kits....

Thanks Carl. I was so glad the 57 didn’t have opening doors or trunk. The VW i’ve Wanted for a while. I didn’t have a Chevell. The vVper? Not so much. Figure I could use it to trade or something. The Pontiac I love as my Aunt and Uncle had a 2 door hard top when I was a kid. And I was born in 1955.

On 3/1/2019 at 9:33 AM, niteowl7710 said:

Couple of things from 1999 (aka Hobby Search)

Out of the blue they acquired two of these and were selling them for their original 2012 prices. 

20190222_102934.thumb.jpg.38411e18177ab44457d6ee72ebd18330.jpg

And who doesn't need a Camry?

20190222_102912.thumb.jpg.09c8e8072ee208bac2425c4cf55e725e.jpg

Never knew they made Camrys as a kit.

I got this Aston Martin DB 4 in a trade with a fellow Club member today.  When I got home from the club meeting, I found this on the kitchen table waiting for me.  I've been wanting a British van since I saw a restoration of a Ford Transit Mk. I van on TV's For The Love Of Cars.  This is close enough!

DSCN2101.JPG

DSCN2102.JPG

40 minutes ago, mrmike said:

I got this Aston Martin DB 4 in a trade with a fellow Club member today.  When I got home from the club meeting, I found this on the kitchen table waiting for me.  I've been wanting a British van since I saw a restoration of a Ford Transit Mk. I van on TV's For The Love Of Cars.  This is close enough!

DSCN2101.JPG

DSCN2102.JPG

It looks like Q standing over 007's car

3 hours ago, ewetwo said:

Thanks Carl. I was so glad the 57 didn’t have opening doors or trunk. The VW i’ve Wanted for a while. I didn’t have a Chevell. The vVper? Not so much. Figure I could use it to trade or something. The Pontiac I love as my Aunt and Uncle had a 2 door hard top when I was a kid. And I was born in 1955.

I have built the VW and Chevelle and both to me are nice kits, you have a good version of the Black Widow...

8 hours ago, ewetwo said:

That is a nice collection. I also picked up that Viper GTS coupe  at the last model show. I have that convertible and I’m planning on a full out drag Bug for that kit

12 hours ago, martin9428 said:

It looks like Q standing over 007's car

Except 007's car was an Aston-Martin DB-5, not a DB-4 (different front end and other stuff).  Pic below of some guy with a DB-5.  And my usual "More Than You Ever Wanted To Know About These Kits..."

Something to keep in mind at kit swap meets, flea markets, etc.:  Aurora made 2 different Aston-Martin DB-X kits in 1/25 scale that have nothing in common.

Aurora originally released its DB-4 kit in the early Sixties. Like all the Aurora sporty-car kits, it had full engine detail and opening hood/doors and trunk.  The trunk is even fitted with 4 suitcases and a spare tire.  It's a really nice kit. The re-issue in the mid-1990's, like Eweto's kit, used the original Aurora box art.

Aurora did release a 1/25 scale DB-5, but called it the "Aston-Martin Super Spy Car."  That DB-5 was a curbside, no engine and nothing opened except the roof hatch for the ejector seat. Aurora didn't have a license for the 007 franchise, so they didn't mention Bond on the box. (Airfix did have a 007 license, and released a great Bond DB-5, but in 1/24 scale.) 

If anyone finds an Aurora Aston-Martin Super Spy Car for a reasonable price, they're very lucky.  It was only released one time in the mid-Sixties and never again.  Rumors say the molds were destroyed, either in the famous Aurora train wreck or just in the normal course of business, retiring old molds etc.  It is Unobtainium today. Even back in the 1980's, that kit sold for serious money.

Here's a link to a Britmodeller thread about restoring a seriously glue-bombed Aurora Aston-Martin Super Spy Car.

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234949840-auroras-super-spy-car-james-bonds-db5-wannabe/

jb-w-db.jpg

• ranma changed the title to Bought two totes with model's in them at the US 127 Garage sales:: here's what was inside of them...