Model Cars Magazine Forum

What did you get today? (Model Car Related Items)

I'm going Bug crazy!  Started with the Tamiya which is WIP now, I got the resin conversion for the oval window some time ago, then this not-tech, and today received the High-Tech of the '56 Beetle.  Interesting how the High-Tech body has the emblems and trim shaved, metal for the strip trim, and the sought after photo-etch.  The diecast engine has bad detail compared to the plastic.  But same vinyl, clear, and chrome parts.

IMG_9817_Fotor.jpg

IMG_9819_Fotor.jpg

7 hours ago, 89AKurt said:

I'm going Bug crazy!  Started with the Tamiya which is WIP now, I got the resin conversion for the oval window some time ago, then this not-tech, and today received the High-Tech of the '56 Beetle.  Interesting how the High-Tech body has the emblems and trim shaved, metal for the strip trim, and the sought after photo-etch.  The diecast engine has bad detail compared to the plastic.  But same vinyl, clear, and chrome parts.

IMG_9817_Fotor.jpg

IMG_9819_Fotor.jpg

Nice score! I have a couple of the Tamiya and one of the not-tech kits (Along with the Karmann Ghia from the same series). Any idea of the best paint to use on the rubber-like interior parts?

Later-

Edited by Modlbldr

37 minutes ago, Modlbldr said:

[...] Any idea of the best paint to use on the rubber-like interior parts?

I have no idea.  But my guess is acrylic paint, or house paint, not enamel because any movement will crack it.  Now that I have the casting supplies, if I was to actually build these, would cast resin copies.

Picked up a few rare bits last night. NOS Revell '62-'63 Dodge wheelcovers:

5c97f30c3e47d_62-63Dodgewheelcovers.jpg.045a5fc379537f76b64a40ceb0b4289e.jpg

Much better than the flat Jo-Han ones. I also picked up these sharp 13" chrome reverses from the '71 Opel GT kit:

5c97f42a9da8c_opelgtchromereverse1.jpg.b9495cc1251388a99ec3ee96f3fabad4.jpg

They were the front wheels for the drag option; only made in '71. Just the ticket to brighten up a late Corvair, early Barracuda or '63 V-8 Falcon/Comet. Looking forward to casting them up!

As to the odd 6-spoke/6-lug mags, well... if anyone wants 'em?

5 hours ago, Rodent said:

I got one of these yesterday. I thought they might be good "day two" rolling stock for the Chevelle. The tires seem like a poor fit to the Chevelle's wheel backs, so I might use them on something else instead.

AMT-1-25-Wild-Wheels-amp-Wide-Ovals-Tires-Pack-4ea-AMTPP20

You could surely send the tires my way if you aren't using them. :D

Steve

I got a couple of gunze bugs with the resin girl figures and a tamiya bug to donate a few parts. I plan to build an early split using the hasegawa kubelwagen engine. I also got yet another revell vw bus to go with the 4 I already have. Along with these was a revell man tgx truck, a foose caddy and a 48 ford custom.

On 3/21/2019 at 11:31 PM, ZTony8 said:

I was in the model contest booth at the Detroit Autorama and was approached by a guy who asked if I knew anyone who bought model kits (who, me? :) ). I asked him what he had. "A couple of '64 Plymouths that I bought may years ago, a Sox & Martin 'Cuda and a '70 GTX". The GTX turned out to be a Monogram kit but the other 3 are Jo-Hans. The ' Cuda is later issue( it's molded in orange) but the '64s are flat box originals. They're not mint but they're unbuilt- and now they're mine.

Right place right time.....Good for you Tony.

6 hours ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

You could surely send the tires my way if you aren't using them. :D

Steve

Uh, thanks for the rehoming offer. Working on something else right now,  but the  Firestones may wind up on a Cougar.

Got this today for my diorama. I know. I couldn't find a kit on line that was reasonable. I could have built one myself from scratch but I'm not that talents. This will do. I just can't figure out the towing part. If I put it together correctly or not. 

image1.jpeg

image2-1.jpeg

On 3/22/2019 at 2:55 AM, 89AKurt said:

IMG_9817_Fotor.jpg

IMG_9819_Fotor.jpg

Love those bugs.

• ranma changed the title to Bought two totes with model's in them at the US 127 Garage sales:: here's what was inside of them...