Model Cars Magazine Forum

What did you get today? (Model Car Related Items)

Rob,

The wheels on the yellow box art car were painted yellow, but they were chromed in the box.

Marc

I have an unbuilt original in storage, but forgot the details. I think I was thinking about the AMT '55 Chevy street machine..it had unplated wheels.

The "brown truck" delivered this one to my office this morning. It is my Ebay bargain of the week...$10.50 + shipping.

100_2389-vi.jpg

Body never painted, lightly glued and ready to roll.

100_2390-vi.jpg

Giant AMT drag slicks in the rear and MPC stock car tires on the front. Based upon the slicks, I'd say this was built in the early 1970s.

100_2391-vi.jpg

The hood is from an AMT 1967 Camaro annual but it fits. It's missing a taillight but Modelhaus has replacements. Rear taillight panel was brush painted flat black as was the interior. BTW, the interior is from an AMT Camaro or Firebird of the same vintage as it does not have a molded in console like the MPC annuals.

100_2392-vi.jpg

I've lost track but I think this one makes MPC '68 Camaro annual number six or seven in my collection. One of these must be one of my first new projects in a few months.

Enjoy!!!

Marc @ MPC Motorsports

Been a great week for wheels..

Got in my order from HWJapan, the older wheels are from trades and a great guy who bought them from his LHS for me.. Thanks

IMG_0283.jpg

With these wheels it makes it official.. I have to add a second shelf for my wheels..

Edited by Ricks

Last weekend I went to Richmond Virginia to visit my bro' and we spent our Saturday at the NSRA show at the speedway...came across a vendor's table selling all kinds of auto memorabilia...old Hot Rod magazines, Rodder's Journals, Hot Wheels and matchbox cars, etc. I saw two MPC 1/16 scale Corvette kits...a '57 and a '63 split window...both 1979 issues...boxes were a bit beat up but the contents looked ok..I passed them by to photograph the real cars..took about 200 pictures..on the way out I noticed that the two vette kits were gone..I asked the guy what they went for..he said he still had'em..just wanted to get them out of the hot sun.

So we haggled a bit and I forked over a few bills. I was relieved when I got home that night and compared the bagged parts to the tattered instruction sheets and found both kits complete. The '63 was started..will need to remove the orange peeled white paint job..but the red '57 is untouched. The detail on these 1/16 scale kits ain't all that..but they are easy on the eyes.

And you can never have too much plastic..can you?

The mailperson was good today. She dropped off a '37 Ford Tudor, '69 Yenko Camaro, a Waverider S10, and AMT Parts Pack. Got it all from Lyn (turtle_rancher) through Ebay. My supply keeps going up and I'm having a hard time trying to keep up, and there's more coming. Display area is an issue that I need to address in the near future.

I got these two beauties from Dean's Hobby Stop:

175-7582_IMG.jpg

Jag.jpg

Shipped to my door for a whopping $47! Thanks, Dean!

Great deal! Did you buy a dozen of those Jags? (look at the front tag).

I've been to their store and to a few model shows in MI and Ohio. Imports are usually dirt cheap in those locales...a dirty little secret most people shopping outside the area don't know. I got some great deals a few years back on some import kits (Tamiya, Heller, Protar, Gunze) in their shop :D

I got a couple oldies in the mail yesterday from ebay, a mint-in-box unbuilt MPC '69 Chevy pickup w/ the firetruck parts...been wanted to build one that way for a while, and a restorable, mostly complete AMT '61 Mercury Monterey ht. The Merc is sans box, but I won a box in another auction, on it's way. The Merc needs a few Modelhaus parts to be complete.

3 very different kits and a 48 yr old model box showed up yesterday...

The box is an AMT '61 Merc ht box, full of random vintage customizing parts...I needed the box for the built, restorable '61 Merc ht that came a couple days before.

Next was an original issue, sealed AMT '66 Chevy Nova Pro Street that I got NOS from an online vendor for $10, preferred molded in white parts to the new release in blue

Next a sealed Tamiya '88 McLaren MP 4/4---my first foray into 1/20th Tamiya F1 kits---got it for $20. I'd looked at Tamiya F1 kits in the past, but never built one...since Senna and Prost were my favorite drivers of that era (I remember watching F1 on ESPN as a teenager then), figured that was a good place to start.

And lastly, an Aoshima Nissan Cima 450XV--aka 3rd gen Infiniti Q45. I have kits of the 1st and 2nd gen Q45s, wanted one of the 3rd gen car.

When I woke up the mailman already left a box in my door from ModelExpress which is one my favorite pace to order kits from,great service and prices.

Lindberg 61 Impala & AMT 62 Impala, Lindberg 53 Ford vert, Revell 63 Impala donk, Revell Cadilac donk, Revell 55 Ford Harley-Davidson delivery van, AMT 63 Shelby Cobra, AMT 69 Buick Riveria

DSC02034.jpg

When I woke up the mailman already left a box in my door from ModelExpress which is one my favorite pace to order kits from,great service and prices.

ME is who I got the McLaren MP4/4 and Nissan Cima from... Model Express and Evers Toy Store are two of my favorite online kit vendors. I've been buying from both for years...

Rob,ME is new to me and I'm very pleased,I will check out Ever's also.Thanks for the tip :D. Actually the sites I'm ordering from are mostly from info off this forum,so thanks everyone.Also google is a big help.Online ordering is a blessing as hobby shops are few and far and don't cater to modlers.

I was in a new hobby shop for me on Friday and picked out 2 kits,half dozen or so spray paints,tenax 7r, brushes,etc. Around 100$ worth of goodies.So I went to register and stood there for ten minutes as 2 employees and what I think was the owner stood 10 feet from me, hanging with a budy talking R/C tech and ignoring me.I got fed up and put everything back(it was all dusty). I was actually more then happy to save my dough to order onine! :D

• ranma changed the title to Bought two totes with model's in them at the US 127 Garage sales:: here's what was inside of them...