Model Cars Magazine Forum

What did you get today? (Model Car Related Items)

Went to Scale Model Supplies (a.k.a. the Dungeon) in St. Paul today. Just to pick up some paint. Well we know how that works out. I found something I've never seen before. Testor's 1/24 scale pre-decorated metal '70 Buick GSX kit. The box indicates it came out in 2010. This is the first I've seen or heard of it. Being a big big Buick fan, I couldn't pass it up. 

IMG_3491.JPG

Got a nice not-too-glooey AMT '40 Ford from a fellow member here. You know who you are sir, and thanks again.  :D

0422192137.jpg

Rolled the dice on a '40 4-door body from Vic's Resins, and it's pretty decent. Symmetry isn't perfect, but it's good enough for what I need, casting's bubble-free, and it looks like it'll clean up nicely. Thought it would be kinda fun to do a junkyard-parts lesser-class early gasser with a 4-dr shell, probably a first-gen carbed Caddy OHV engine, or a Y-block, or maybe a six...

Vics-Resins-39-40-Ford-4-door-sedan-resin-body      image.jpeg.77f66f37b12094ca9287dd04cbd59f3d.jpeg

47 minutes ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

Rolled the dice on a '40 4-door body from Vic's Resins, and it's pretty decent. Symmetry isn't perfect, but it's good enough for what I need, casting's bubble-free, and it looks like it'll clean up nicely.

Thanks for the "mini-review", Bill - the last couple days I've been looking at a Vics '58 Pontiac wagon and wondering about the quality.

2 hours ago, unclescott58 said:

Went to Scale Model Supplies (a.k.a. the Dungeon) in St. Paul today. Just to pick up some paint. Well we know how that works out. I found something I've never seen before. Testor's 1/24 scale pre-decorated metal '70 Buick GSX kit. The box indicates it came out in 2010. This is the first I've seen or heard of it. Being a big big Buick fan, I couldn't pass it up. 

IMG_3491.JPG

I've never seen that before either, but it looks like an unassembled Welly diecast. It's pretty nice, and a tiny bit undersized at about 1/26 or so. 

33 minutes ago, ChrisBcritter said:

Thanks for the "mini-review", Bill - the last couple days I've been looking at a Vics '58 Pontiac wagon and wondering about the quality.

I just put it on the bench and took a careful look. Best thing about it is that the door lines are scribed nice and square, nice round corners too, with none of the "jiggle" you often see on bodies from some people. The side trim is washed out, nowhere near as crisp as the AMT shell, but it can be removed entirely and put back with strip styrene. It looks like the release agent, at least when the mold was made, was polyvinyl alcohol, which can impart a slightly grainy texture if it's shot dry...which is present. Overall though, and as the model built from it will represent something pulled out of a junkyard to drag-race, it will be just fine. I have no idea what the quality is like on his other stuff.

I've been looking at his Poncho wagons too, 'cause I'd like to do a towcar to go with my Challenger I. If you buy one, let me know how it is please.

14 hours ago, ChrisBcritter said:

Clearance time again? Great!

I was in Deerfield yesterday and didn't see any clearance items... yet (so I got some sandpaper). Karl, do you remember what else was being cleared out? Been hoping to get one of the '68 El Caminos cheeep.

These three are what was available when I got them, stopped by another store across town(s) and nothing.

16 hours ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

Rolled the dice on a '40 4-door body from Vic's Resins, and it's pretty decent. Symmetry isn't perfect, but it's good enough for what I need, casting's bubble-free, and it looks like it'll clean up nicely. Thought it would be kinda fun to do a junkyard-parts lesser-class early gasser with a 4-dr shell, probably a first-gen carbed Caddy OHV engine, or a Y-block, or maybe a six...  

I got a '40 Ford 4-door from Steve Kohler a while back.  Made by "Star Models," I think.  I wonder if it's the same body.

The one I got is also pretty nice. At least it's much nicer than an old resin '40 Ford 4-door body I had, which was thick, rubbery and as detailed as a bar of soap.  That one came in a lot of resin bodies somebody gave me, in exchange for putting their stuff on eBay.  So I basically paid nothing for it, and that's exactly what it was worth...

I thought of building it as WWII staff car or Combat Photographer's car.  Or maybe even a Ford "midnight requisitioned" by the Monuments, Fine Arts & Archives Section - the famous "Monuments Men."  With zero vehicles officially assigned to them, they had to be very creative.  IIRC, their motor pool at one point consisted of a nearly-dead old Jeep and a partly wrecked German Kubelwagen.

40_4dr.jpg

I bought a complete, but dirty, AMT 1963 Corvette coupe at the model club meeting for all of $5.  It was as I was packing up to head home I turned it over and noticed the transmission and oil pan were different.  I opened the hood and it was fuel injected and one I did not recognize.  Comparing it to my own AMT coupe which is not fuel injected and neither model has the fuel injection badge on the front fender.  I also compared it to a MPC 64 F.I. and they are not the same.  Anybody recognize the F.I. engine. Just a bit of mystery. 

Update, after further research I found my new AMT purchase had a engine swap with the "64 MPC Corvette.

20190428_191242.jpg.002b35b3ab07cd2bb767de4bf3ffc821.jpg20190428_191129.thumb.jpg.a24722d8bc9ad61f19c0a7d6c06972ec.jpg

Edited by Gramps46
spelling

My haul from NNL East this past weekend.  Revell Boss 302 Mustang and Cadillac Escalade, Tamiya Ford GT, and Italeri Range Rover Police.  Small Wizard of O's and 2-Set Racing Harnesses, NNL East 33 License Plate Frames and plates and a set of Slixx Goodyear Eagle tire decals.

DSCN2498.JPG

DSCN2499.JPG

DSCN2500.JPG

1 hour ago, mrmike said:

My haul from NNL East this past weekend.  Revell Boss 302 Mustang and Cadillac Escalade, Tamiya Ford GT, and Italeri Range Rover Police.  Small Wizard of O's and 2-Set Racing Harnesses, NNL East 33 License Plate Frames and plates and a set of Slixx Goodyear Eagle tire decals.

DSCN2498.JPG

DSCN2499.JPG

DSCN2500.JPG

Nice kits Mike!

Just pulled the trigger on this compressor

My old one takes forever to fill and has trouble keeping 20 psi at the AB.

I should be able to use my HVLP gun on thisB)

cache_4102909794.jpg.54fcdeaffabce3c0187b61c0a1a5607b.jpg

Quiet Flow 1610SPQ Air Compressor

by California Air Tools

1.0  HP (Rated/Running) - 2.0 HP (Peak)

1.6 Gallon Steel Air Tank

3.00 CFM @ 40 PSI      

2.00 CFM @ 90 PSI 

The Quiet Flow1610SPQ Air Compressor is designed to be one of the quietest air compressors in the industry having only 65 decibels of sound.   

cache_4102909794.jpg.54fcdeaffabce3c0187b61c0a1a5607b.jpg

And parts can be had for any repairs

Edited by Spruslayer

Something I picked up off of eBay. AMT's 1/32 scale Porsche 917-10. (Which maybe a reboxed Airfix kit?) Everything is there, and in perfect shape. I was surprised when I opened the box and saw how nice this kit is. A lot of detail for a 1/32 scale kit. More than I expected. Very cool. 

IMG_3503.JPG

IMG_3504.JPG

18 minutes ago, unclescott58 said:

Something I picked up off of eBay. AMT's 1/32 scale Porsche 917-10. (Which maybe a reboxed Airfix kit?) Everything is there, and in perfect shape. I was surprised when I opened the box and saw how nice this kit is. A lot of detail for a 1/32 scale kit. More than I expected. Very cool. 

IMG_3503.JPG

IMG_3504.JPG

It's a Matchbox mold, they did some really nice 1/32 car kits back in the 1970's. Enjoy it!

Just arrived from my newest Canadian "best friend", Bruce (Belugawrx)! :)

They will look great on my '65 Plymouth Fury project!

Thanks Bruce!

You're a true comrade!

2v2Esr6tnxwUbWP.jpg

I also need to give equal billing to my newest friend from Tampa Florida, Bob (TooOld), who helped me out in a big way by printing some speedometer faces for me for the same project.

Your help was greatly appreciated Bob!!

2v2Esr7hFxwUbWP.jpg

Steve

FOund a couple of racecars. 

The Alfa, just because I love touring cars, and the Toyota because it's one of those kits I built in my youth, and ended up getting damaged and tossed.

And both were way cheaper than I expected to ever see them, which is a nice bonus. Especially the Toyota.

The Alfa is new, the Toyota is old, but still factory bagged inside. And the decals appear to be useable.

20190429_185301.thumb.jpg.7ea8dc09a547802d84574a6418b77340.jpg

20190429_185327.thumb.jpg.ce7eb50939ffb28eb84f4bb4368a4072.jpg

2 hours ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

Just arrived from my newest Canadian "best friend", Bruce (Belugawrx)! :)

They will look great on my '65 Plymouth Fury project!

Thanks Bruce! You're a true comrade!2v2Esr6tnxwUbWP.jpgI also need to give equal billing to my newest friend from Tampa Florida, Bob (TooOld), who helped me out in a big way by printing some speedometer faces for me for the same project.

Your help was greatly appreciated Bob!!

2v2Esr7hFxwUbWP.jpgSteve

Steve, I'm getting 404 errors on these - can you load them directly?

On 4/27/2019 at 2:29 PM, unclescott58 said:

IMG_3491.JPG

You had me at "The Dungeon". Miss that place, since I left Minnesota! Never know just what you'll run across, there!

• ranma changed the title to Bought two totes with model's in them at the US 127 Garage sales:: here's what was inside of them...