Model Cars Magazine Forum

What did you get today? (Model Car Related Items)

4 hours ago, Mark said:

The Corvair is a '62; the Stylizing parts that are on it were included in the kit.

The '60 kit was a four-door, '61 was a convertible with separate glue-on top.  '63 was a convertible molded in turquoise or light blue, '64 was a coupe like the '62 but every '64 I have seen was molded in yellow.  

None of the early Corvair kits had engine detail, but the '62 did include a display engine.  I've got a built '62 that someone cut the car up to put the display engine in.  The display engine may have been incorporated into the parts pack with the Chrysler engine later on, I've never checked one against the other.

Thanks! Very helpful. This one's molded in white so it's definitely the '62. B)

Ok. Finally got a chance to inspect what I got today. Pics included.

Tamiya Alfa Romeo Giulia Sprint GTA. This is a beautiful little kit. I think I'm going to enjoy this one!

http://IMG_20190601_204426758.jpg

http://IMG_20190601_204446374.jpg

http://IMG_20190601_204446374.jpg

MPC Wild Willie Winged Express-1996 issue. This one has been opened and is missing the rear tires and wheels. Not a deal breaker for the price I got it for. Not sure I'll ever build it. May put it up for trade.

http://IMG_20190601_204600151.jpg

http://IMG_20190601_204925157.jpg

Finally, I got the guy to throw in this chrome tree and the tires from the Olds Superclean kit. Not sure what I'll do with them. May trade them off.

http://IMG_20190601_205016773.jpg

The guy also had two boxes of kits that I could live without so I left them with him. If you see anything in these next two pics that you want, shoot me a PM and I'll see what can be done.

http://IMG_20190601_152416117_HDR.jpg

http://IMG_20190601_152358051_HDR.jpg

Later- 

Edited by Modlbldr

One other thing with the early Corvairs: the '61 promo was a four-door like the '60, but the trim was a little bit different.  The '61 kits all had convertible bodies, but the rear wheel openings were carried over from the four-door and are incorrect.

3 hours ago, Gramps46 said:

CAUTION CAUTION

C2 Corvettes can be addictive.  Snake and I can attest to that!!!

It's weird, in the last couple years I've managed to aquire a few C1 Vettes and had a couple Widebody ProTouring C2 Vettes going a decade ago that I can no longer find that I had been building from the Revell Snap Kits.

Edited by Joe Handley

9 hours ago, Mark said:

One other thing with the early Corvairs: the '61 promo was a four-door like the '60, but the trim was a little bit different.  The '61 kits all had convertible bodies, but the rear wheel openings were carried over from the four-door and are incorrect.

Huh. I built this '61 over 35 years ago and never noticed that. Roof fit was poor and the B-pillars were separate chrome pieces, so I slapped on a boot from the IMC '48 Ford and called it a day. It's a phantom as a 'vert, but now it's even more of a phantom. Wonder how the kit ended up being designed that way? Paging Tim Boyd...

P1110160.JPG.eabc1190123fdc8e57d5e5d995593a4b.JPG

I've got parts of one of those '61 kits, but never had an instruction sheet so I don't know if a boot was included (or if a convertible building version was part of the kit).  I'd suspect that it was a quick conversion to get the kit away from the promo's four-door configuration.

Toy show day! Didn't buy anything last month, so I didn't feel bad about going nuts this month. 

Three complete Corvette kits, two Revell '67 roadsters and some as yet unidentified C4, bagged, for $10. Worth that just for parts and decals. 

3Vettes02.jpg.83cd7b79b4199a059c180d58f56b4553.jpg

Revell '57 Nomad glue bomb, again, worth the $2 just for parts. Lotta recent discussion here about how impossible this kit is to build, but somebody got this one together, although not finished very well. 

57Nomad02.jpg.6dbf965e389d9455507d260c418d0808.jpg

AMT '66 Olds 4-4-2. I was attracted to its completeness and its very pretty, smooth, shiny garnet red/purplish finish. Got a big glue booger on the roof, but I can always vinyl top it. Due to the nonstock color, I might make a Stock or /MP class racer out of it, or a '70s street bomber, but well worth the $7 as a fun "rescue" project. 

66Olds44201.jpg.df8bbccc6279a844d8841b8d35a6b644.jpg

Pair of 4G Novas, one has 1977 on the rear license plate and the other says Nova. Body on the black one is good, but it's missing hood, grille, and some other parts. The white one has a roached body but most of the other parts are here. At $5 for both, I figger I can get one good model out of the pair. Come to think of it, I have another glue bomb of these with a body with damage in different places, so I might be able to get TWO out of the three. Disconovaman, here I come! B)

77Novas02.jpg.ae9e3306245b3731e6d2c00ae848028d.jpg

AMT (MPC) '92-ish Beretta. I remember not long back a few people here were looking for these to replace bad bodies in the Revell Pro Street Beretta, so I figgered it was worth the $2 asking price. If you're one of those guys, I'm at SnakeACP45 at aol dot com. 

92Beretta01.jpg.521faa8aace480327d4792f5b306cd64.jpg

Looks like a Monogram Chaparral 2D someone was making into a Batman Villian car. Thought it might make a good street or kit-car "what-if" for the $2 price. 

Chaparral02.jpg.31e9d924bf93898184c876f48a5e6522.jpg

IMC Cougar II. Not sure what I'll do with it, but again, seemed to be worth the $2 tab. 

CougarII02.jpg.b91e837a6d196608340b51c0f1cbce22.jpg

And finally, some parts and goodies. Complete built AMT Parts Pack rod frame, with 4 good tires and two good wheels. You don't see these that often anymore. I'll do something with it. Five new paint mixing bottles for $1. Two sets of nice slicks on wheels. And a set of AMT big n little redline wide ovals--can always use those. 

AParts03.jpg.1d7096c443566ae0e59de9770e988e8f.jpg

Got a quartet of NASCAR kits from ebay. Built 10-12 NASCAR kits some 25-30 years ago and feel the urge to knock off a few again. Straight up build for the Thunderbat, maybe a different color for the Flintstones, looking at a red metallic for Jurassic Park, and going to zombie-fy the Benson Cheerios Taurus.

DSCN3176.JPG

DSCN3177.JPG

21 hours ago, Snake45 said:

Toy show day! Didn't buy anything last month, so I didn't feel bad about going nuts this month. 

Looks like a Monogram Chaparral 2D someone was making into a Batman Villian car. Thought it might make a good street or kit-car "what-if" for the $2 price. 

Chaparral02.jpg.31e9d924bf93898184c876f48a5e6522.jpg

I

Wow!  Somebody under 10 was given some paint and a Q-tip!   Maybe it'll polish out ??:o

Me bored and ebay is never a good thing.
Got these 2 kits from there today:
5cf588d1860cc_bandagbandit.jpg.52348ff0c1612a65ea871c5f7400c48e.jpg
5cf588d304a4f_gmcgeneral.jpg.eb04921abe0f2005575e18931e7f74a1.jpg
Now i just need to buy another "Papa truck" so i can turn it in to the "hideout truck" for the Bandit and after that i will have both dragtrucks and the transporters for them.
(Already have superboss and papa truck)

1 hour ago, Tom Geiger said:

Wow!  Somebody under 10 was given some paint and a Q-tip!   Maybe it'll polish out ??:o

Not a chance, but I don't imagine there's any chance it will survive a Long Purple Swim. :D

I picked up an item that is sorta model car related....I found a 4 foot long glass showcase, with a glass shelf, mirrored inside panels and doors, sitting outside a beauty shop with a sign on it that said "no charge". You spell that F-R-E-E! It is now residing in my storage unit, awaiting the move to our new house. I didn't get a chance to take a pic of it.

It should hold a few built models.

Edited by Bucky
Had an extra word.

7 hours ago, Bucky said:

I picked up an item that is sorta model car related....I found a 4 foot long glass showcase, with a glass shelf, mirrored inside panels and doors, sitting outside a beauty shop with a sign on it that said "no charge". You spell that F-R-E-E! It is now residing in my storage unit, awaiting the move to our new house. I didn't get a chance to take a pic of it.

It should hold a few built models.

That is awesome! I have an old glass display case, from a jewelry store, as I recall. It's the best way to display models, and memorabilia that goes with them. AND, they never need dusting! Here it is, in a less than friendly environment--an uninsulated, detached garage, in Minnesota.

Display Computer 1scr.jpg

1 hour ago, Straightliner59 said:

That is awesome! I have an old glass display case, from a jewelry store, as I recall. It's the best way to display models, and memorabilia that goes with them. AND, they never need dusting! Here it is, in a less than friendly environment--an uninsulated, detached garage, in Minnesota.

Display Computer 1scr.jpg

This 4 foot case will go along with the 5'-10" case I already have. it came from a closed down jewelry store, too. I do need to add some more glass shelves to both cases for maximum display volume! HAHA

• ranma changed the title to Bought two totes with model's in them at the US 127 Garage sales:: here's what was inside of them...