Model Cars Magazine Forum

What did you get today? (Model Car Related Items)

9 hours ago, Tom Geiger said:

I have an old Falcon kit that looked to have very heavy yellowish glue on it everywhere.  When I went to pull at the first joint, it just came apart.  I figured out the model had been assembled with rubber cement!  

I bought a '65 Barracuda at the pre-Toledo parking lot sale one year. Complete glue bomb with box and parts, but I knew I could get glass out of the Hemi Under Glass. It was dirty, so I threw it in the sink, and all the glue on the kit dissolved! 

That's great that you could find such a complete '60 El Camino. The '59 El Camino has been reissued a number of times and it is also a great kit. Like you I'd love to find another '60. The one I have is a partly built with a shorted bed. Not sure what I was thinks way back then. 

On 6/10/2019 at 11:50 AM, ranma said:

Arrived in the mail today, MPC 1969 Impala SS Promo, and  need's a little repair/rechromed .Since it has to be repaired would it hurt to do a little detail work such as door handles, window trim, side trim.???

1 69 imp.jpg

1 69 imp1.jpg

1 69 imp2.jpg

Sweet..!  My old 69 Impala SS HT was the same color with a white vinyl top...very cool find your lucky.

Just came in the mail.  Published in 1962 by the British modelling author Cecil Gibson and focused mainly on the Merit racing kits the book is a jewel if you appreciate the early 1/24 Merits, Premiers, and Strombecker kind of kits.  

20190611_132600.jpg.688915f9382f2d984715d10cdd4da3a1.jpg20190611_132633.jpg.2aa39693f512aeb94a3b3933ec86949e.jpg

On 6/12/2019 at 7:55 AM, Gramps46 said:

Just came in the mail.  Published in 1962 by the British modelling author Cecil Gibson and focused mainly on the Merit racing kits the book is a jewel if you appreciate the early 1/24 Merits, Premiers, and Strombecker kind of kits.  

20190611_132600.jpg.688915f9382f2d984715d10cdd4da3a1.jpg20190611_132633.jpg.2aa39693f512aeb94a3b3933ec86949e.jpg

That's very cool! I'm going to find one, for myself. I don't care what else is in there, it's worth having just for those illustrations. That was one of my favorite things about Motor Racing Replica News.

19 minutes ago, Straightliner59 said:

That's very cool! I'm going to find one, for myself. I don't care what else is in there, it's worth having just for those illustrations. That was one of my favorite things about Motor Racing Replica News.

Daniel, the book is available on both eBay and Amazon, just search Cecil Gibson.  If you like this also search for books by Rex Hays.  He is one of my favorite early modeling authors.  Sorry about the quality of the photo, should not have had that double expresso. :D20190613_103100.jpg.df4d2c19ca5e7667855d7dafa5b3e21e.jpg

20190613_104211.jpg.fa256fd7a29f8ebd0206ef9d4b7f2671.jpg

Edited by Gramps46

11 minutes ago, Gramps46 said:

Daniel, the book is available on both eBay and Amazon, just search Cecil Gibson.  If you like this also search for books by Rex Hays.  He is one of my favorite early modeling authors.  Sorry about the quality of the photo, should not have had that double expresso. :D

Hahaha, on the double espresso! Amazon had four, and only one critical review, and it was by Gregg! Thanks for the heads-up, Gary. I'll look for Rex Hays stuff, as well.

Picked up some stuff the past week or so. The Chevy pickup,. 1955 Chevy, The Ma Parker. The Ford dump truck and the 63 customizing box was a buy all or nothing purchase.

The customizing box is just a box parts. Mainly 1930’s ford wheels, tires, and fenders. Some bumpers and lights. 

The 1970 Chevy pickup needs a few things but is mostly complete. No motor. Missing one chrome reverse and one stock hubcap. That was painted so that is soaking.

Ma Barker is complete. But the only part that was touched was the fenders and it’s etched badly. Also tire melt on the clear side windows. That will be parts for someone in need.

1955 Chevy was painted but is soaking right now. Vent windows are missing.

The dump truck looks complete. Painted yellow. Motor built. 

1959 Rambler I got for a good price off EBay. My neighbor had one when I was a kid. I helped him rebuilt the motor. It was pink with black. 

2004 Corvette. Garage sale. Not into Vettes but it was there. 

1966 Mustang. Ebay. Going to recreate a friend’s Mustang.

6D5D3C2C-72D1-4C62-8A9B-38386E5FB9D3.jpeg

Edited by ewetwo

11 minutes ago, bandit1 said:

That 70 Chev truck is cool, Where do you guys find kits like that without giving an arm and a leg for em'? :huh:

Craig’s list and Facebook Market Place.  Estate sales. I scour the pictures in the ads. Not always great though. I never find promos. 

59 minutes ago, ewetwo said:

[...]

The 1970 Chevy pickup needs a few things but is mostly complete. No motor. Missing one chrome reverse and one stock hubcap. That was painted so that is soaking.[...]

That the same kit as the AMT?

36 minutes ago, 89AKurt said:

That the same kit as the AMT?

No. It’s an MPC 1970 Pickup or Fire Truck kit. It must have been made into a pick up originally but then taken part to become the fire truck. It’s soaking now to get the paint off. Not looking too bad. 

Just came in the mail today. I got it off ebay for the buy it now price of $56.00 ,and free shipping. I already have the body in paint remover which is making quick work of the old purple paint! I need to get a stock Hood, grill/headlights, stock front seat's and wheel's (chrome stock hub caps) . Then it will be complete for a repaint and build. Yet another MPC '69 Impala 427! Sorry If anyone here was among the 10 people watching this on ebay!

69 Impala a.jpg

69 Impala b.jpg

Edited by ranma

3 hours ago, ewetwo said:

No. It’s an MPC 1970 Pickup or Fire Truck kit. It must have been made into a pick up originally but then taken part to become the fire truck. It’s soaking now to get the paint off. Not looking too bad. 

Hope to see you do something with it!   I don't like the simple frame/chassis on the AMT kit.  I owned a '69, and currently a '68 pickup, so I'll keep my eye open.

Picked this up today. Going to step outside my normal comfort zone on this one. Not alot of experience with 1/16th scale, GM products, opening doors. Not sure what direction I want to go with this one, but it will be something cool hopefully. ?

20190613_212028.jpg

4 hours ago, 89AKurt said:

Hope to see you do something with it!   I don't like the simple frame/chassis on the AMT kit.  I owned a '69, and currently a '68 pickup, so I'll keep my eye open.

This has a simple frame chassis also with screws in the front.

4 hours ago, dimebolt said:

Picked this up today. Going to step outside my normal comfort zone on this one. Not alot of experience with 1/16th scale, GM products, opening doors. Not sure what direction I want to go with this one, but it will be something cool hopefully. ?

20190613_212028.jpg

Love it ! 

I will have to find one for myself. 

On 6/13/2019 at 9:30 PM, dimebolt said:

20190613_212028.jpg

That is a good kit..built the original issue when it was new...tons of possibilities for adding extra detailing to it..you will like it.

Got the AMT Subaru Brat reissue today, looks like a neat kit.  Expanded decals w/ gauge faces, has the 'Retro Deluxe' info decal on the box directly instead of the wrap as they usually do, odd.   One small chrome tree w/ chromed headlights and taillights, wheels molded in white.    Tires don't have any white lettering.

Today was a good day, Got some work done for the Lord in his Community Garden that i head, So celebrated a bit with some new plastic! 

The Escalade was $19 bucks and some change from Michaels  since i found a 40% coupon... Now to find 2 99 Silverado kits to start my REDEMPTION on my 04 dually i was building till i moved and sadly lost all those parts, 2nd is another Redemption of a 70 chevelle i got at hobby lobby for the same price as the escalade with theyre 40% from when i bought this chevelle kit for $5 bucks at a flea market and started to paint stripes on it but cut through the tape into the paint not knowing anything since i was a teenager... :lol: Sad that kit is long gone with a bunch of others in between all the moves i made....

And i know The Snake is mad at me since they have the Barris 65 riv kit that i DIDN'T bring home SORRY!!!:P

64805202_2943492729024518_1156255803682848768_n.jpg

Edited by bandit1

• ranma changed the title to Bought two totes with model's in them at the US 127 Garage sales:: here's what was inside of them...