Model Cars Magazine Forum

What did you get today? (Model Car Related Items)

I got an AMT 3 in 1 Customizing boat and 5 cans of paint at Hobby Lobby and a Tamiya Toyota Group C racer at a local hobby shop. Tamiya really missed the boat with this kit. It's labeled as an 88C LeMans car but it's really an 89 C-V that ran at several places ( but not LeMans) with the style of rear bodywork that's in the kit.

2 hours ago, 1930fordpickup said:

Karl nice haul. that 66 Galaxie and the 40/32 combo kit are cool. I like the old Namel spray can also. 

Most are built, but generally nicely done. Either need finished or some could use a better paint job

Went to visit a good friend last night and look what he gave me!

Some interesting stuff in here. If you've got a need for something specific (chassis pan, interior, fender sets, Revell 32 Ford chrome- let me know). Looking for decal sheets for the Impala and Shelby- the only thing the kits are missing.IMG_20190726_055700858.thumb.jpg.2890b5985b9279fe863fb2bb862d3a54.jpg

Later-

IMG_20190726_055535014.jpg

IMG_20190726_055558992.jpg

IMG_20190726_060032642.jpg

IMG_20190726_060050749.jpg

IMG_20190726_060121049.jpg

IMG_20190726_060140086.jpg

IMG_20190726_055719467.jpg

54 minutes ago, Modlbldr said:

Went to visit a good friend last night and look what he gave me!

Some interesting stuff in here. If you've got a need for something specific (chassis pan, interior, fender sets, Revell 32 Ford chrome- let me know). Looking for decal sheets for the Impala and Shelby- the only thing the kits are missing.

Later-

IMG_20190726_055535014.jpg

Great stash Tom

Edited by ewetwo

9 hours ago, ZTony8 said:

I got an AMT 3 in 1 Customizing boat and 5 cans of paint at Hobby Lobby and a Tamiya Toyota Group C racer at a local hobby shop. Tamiya really missed the boat with this kit. It's labeled as an 88C LeMans car but it's really an 89 C-V that ran at several places ( but not LeMans) with the style of rear bodywork that's in the kit.

I don't really think that Tamiya missed the mark. They are pretty thorough in the research and description of their models. Tamiya never did in fact, a model of the Toyota 88C, only two versions of the 88C-V (Minolta and Taka-Q). The description does not say that it raced at LeMans. The 88C-V was a development of the 88C and was raced in the all Japan Series in preparation for competing in upcoming LeMans. You are correct in that the further developed 89C-V did not race at LeMans. It was not until the the 1990 LeMans that the the Toyota 90C-V competed, where the number 36 finished 6th in class and overall.

On 18/07/2019 at 10:25 AM, PatW said:

We were away over Dad's Day here in the UK, so youngest son dropped this off on our return...

photo-th.jpg

And another web site/magazine have built this this month so found one luckily on ebay UK, to try the build myself...

photo-th.jpg

photo-th.jpg

Now I've built it which section does it go into please?

Received a very cleanly built and complete original AMT '66 Mustang GT fastback, far too nice to be called a "glue bomb." I'd planned it for a rebuilder, but it's in such good shape that I might do a quickie "rescue" resto on it and put it on the shelf for a while before I give it the full treatment. Not wild about the light gray color, but it's a survivor, and it is what it is. 

Under the hood I was surprised to find what looks like a period AMT 390/427 Ford engine, with a very odd chrome cross-ram 2x4 manifold on it (no carbs). Looking at the Drastic Plastic site instruction sheets, it might be from an AMT '66 or '67 Fairlane kit. The engine might end up in my Paul Sable "Henry the 8th" '65 Mustang drag car that I recently restored, as it would seem to be a natural fit there. Hmmmm.....

22 minutes ago, Snake45 said:

Received a very cleanly built and complete original AMT '66 Mustang GT fastback, far too nice to be called a "glue bomb." I'd planned it for a rebuilder, but it's in such good shape that I might do a quickie "rescue" resto on it and put it on the shelf for a while before I give it the full treatment. Not wild about the light gray color, but it's a survivor, and it is what it is. 

Under the hood I was surprised to find what looks like a period AMT 390/427 Ford engine, with a very odd chrome cross-ram 2x4 manifold on it (no carbs). Looking at the Drastic Plastic site instruction sheets, it might be from an AMT '66 or '67 Fairlane kit. The engine might end up in my Paul Sable "Henry the 8th" '65 Mustang drag car that I recently restored, as it would seem to be a natural fit there. Hmmmm.....

Will it fit?  I haven't looked at that build article in a while, but seem to recall that the hood blister was carved balsa and wasn't hollow underneath.  Besides the '66-'67 Fairlane kits, the '68 Torino fastback had that intake also.  The original '69 kits may have had it too; I've got the kits but am too lazy to look right now.

Two of the three CAR MODEL builtups I bought are in the display case.  I need to stick the wheels on the '49 Merc custom and clean it up a bit so it can join them.  That model was never really finished originally, the front wheels were schlocked into place (no lower front suspension) and the rear springs were just clipped at the back to get the car lowered.  The engine is a small block Chevy from an MPC '32 Chevy kit, but that is just set in place.  The radiator was put in backwards if I remember right.  Plan is to build another one in the same style (double front end, stylistically wrong top chop) only with a complete engine and chassis.

1 hour ago, Mark said:

Will it fit?  I haven't looked at that build article in a while, but seem to recall that the hood blister was carved balsa and wasn't hollow underneath.  Besides the '66-'67 Fairlane kits, the '68 Torino fastback had that intake also. 

Well, it's sitting nicely under stock hood on the model now. Of course, as I said, the carbs are missing. Maybe that's why. Hmmmmm. 

image.png.5e3de458a25e9d9ab9182601f7404b66.png

Cafe Moto, 394 Broadway in South Williamsburg, closed three years ago as of this coming Tuesday. It was  a vegetarian-only joint.

image.png.61321fc5aea44d30f32aa3fdbb30cfd9.png

The same owners "reinvented" the place as Cafe Velo, a bicycle-themed :rolleyes: vegan restaurant. I should ask them what happened to the van.

Went to the LHS today, sprung for the Atlantis Mr. Gasser reissue, also another Revell Roth '57 Chevy.  I like to have spare decals in case I screw up, a buddy of mine who built the Roth issue said the decals are a bear.  Never had a Mr. Gasser before; looks like the "washboard" trim decals from an AMT '57 could be trimmed to fit the body.  The bumpers and side trim look like a good test case for Molotow chrome too...

10 hours ago, SfanGoch said:

image.png.5e3de458a25e9d9ab9182601f7404b66.png

Cafe Moto, 394 Broadway in South Williamsburg, closed three years ago as of this coming Tuesday. It was  a vegetarian-only joint.

image.png.61321fc5aea44d30f32aa3fdbb30cfd9.png

The same owners "reinvented" the place as Cafe Velo, a bicycle-themed :rolleyes: vegan restaurant. I should ask them what happened to the van.

There van was originally a Citroen service van, although I'd love to know what happened to it.

14595602460_dcc7138133_b.jpg

• ranma changed the title to Bought two totes with model's in them at the US 127 Garage sales:: here's what was inside of them...