Model Cars Magazine Forum

What did you get today? (Model Car Related Items)

Picked these up today. Not sure what year the Ford pickup is. 1960? I’ll Be looking for the stock grill and bumper hint hint. Lol! The 55 chevy is a duplicate to one I have. Odd thing is the 55 I already have has all white parts. The 55 I picked up today has black and white parts. Different releases? 

C42158DB-E707-417C-BB4F-56AEB1A55031.jpeg

18 minutes ago, ewetwo said:

Picked these up today. Not sure what year the Ford pickup is. 1960? I’ll Be looking for the stock grill and bumper hint hint. Lol! The 55 chevy is a duplicate to one I have. Odd thing is the 55 I already have has all white parts. The 55 I picked up today has black and white parts. Different releases? 

C42158DB-E707-417C-BB4F-56AEB1A55031.jpeg

The Ford pickup is probably a '61 or '62, the trailer came with it.  Looks like a '61 based on the hood trim pieces.  The Revell '55 Chevy is a fairly early issue with the black chassis, I believe they came with the chassis parts molded in black into the early Seventies.  If it has red taillight lenses, it is a first issue kit.

50 minutes ago, Mark said:

The Ford pickup is probably a '61 or '62, the trailer came with it.  Looks like a '61 based on the hood trim pieces.  The Revell '55 Chevy is a fairly early issue with the black chassis, I believe they came with the chassis parts molded in black into the early Seventies.  If it has red taillight lenses, it is a first issue kit.

They both have the red taillights Mark. And the all white kit I had is dated 1973 on the side. Did they have an earlier issue. It works out well because the kit I have, the vent windows were missing and the hood had the hole cut out for the blower. These all came from the same home so they should be about the same age?. 

1 hour ago, 1930fordpickup said:

Nice selection David.  The Ford truck is around a 62. Not sure what years had the side emblems and hood ornament in the kits as I have not looked at a mint kit of any of those trucks. 

Those vents on the hood go through the hood Andy. Never saw anything like that. And all but the 55 have 2 metal axels which I think might date them as easy releases? Love the custom look they did. The gray car has the exhaust pipes coming out of the rear fenders. 

17 minutes ago, ewetwo said:

Those vents on the hood go through the hood Andy. Never saw anything like that. And all but the 55 have 2 metal axels which I think might date them as easy releases? Love the custom look they did. The gray car has the exhaust pipes coming out of the rear fenders. 

As far as I can tell, those custom hood vents were only in the '61 kit ,, at least they weren't mentioned on the '62 and '63 kits. My '63 has them but it doesn't have it's original '63 hood either.

SO,, that would make it a '61??

Those hood vents are '61 only, AMT put those in a number of annual kits.  I've lost count of the number of little pieces of plastic that I filed to shape, to plug holes cut in hoods for them.

As for the '55 Chevy, I remember building one in '71 or '72 that had a black chassis.  It wasn't an original issue.  I've got another of that issue, will check that one but it has other differences to the one I built long ago.

12 hours ago, ewetwo said:

I have looked at a few of these trucks online that have the vents so I don't bid on them.   I think  most of these kits are from the early to mid 60's. 

Picked these up at the womens shelter resale shop today. All were built. Whoever built these puts me to shame on paint skills. Roadrunner was missing the side mirrors. Started on the High Roller tonight, it suffered the most damage but appears to be an easy save. Also picked up a nice Harley coffee table book and Paul Newmans the Hustler DVD. All for $30.00 plus tax.

SAM_0656.JPG

SAM_0657.JPG

SAM_0658.JPG

SAM_0659.JPG

SAM_0660.JPG

SAM_0661.JPG

10 minutes ago, Renegade said:

Picked these up at the womens shelter resale shop today. All were built. Whoever built these puts me to shame on paint skills. Roadrunner was missing the side mirrors. Started on the High Roller tonight, it suffered the most damage but appears to be an easy save. Also picked up a nice Harley coffee table book and Paul Newmans the Hustler DVD. All for $30.00 plus tax.

SAM_0656.JPG

SAM_0657.JPG

SAM_0658.JPG

SAM_0659.JPG

SAM_0660.JPG

SAM_0661.JPG

Rescues! Saves! I LOVE 'em! Go for it! :wub:B)

On 8/12/2019 at 3:20 PM, ewetwo said:

They both have the red taillights Mark. And the all white kit I had is dated 1973 on the side. Did they have an earlier issue. It works out well because the kit I have, the vent windows were missing and the hood had the hole cut out for the blower. These all came from the same home so they should be about the same age?. 

I've got a '55 kit that has a 1971 copyright, it has all the parts molded in white.  I built another of the very same issue, in 1972 at the latest (we moved that year, and were still in the city).  That one had black chassis and engine parts like the first issue, and it also had the slicks and mag wheels that aren't in the one I have now.  So even though both had the same box art, running changes were made.  I'm not sure when the red taillight lenses were removed, but my "later 1971" issue doesn't have them.

On 8/12/2019 at 4:10 PM, Mark said:

As for the '55 Chevy, I remember building one in '71 or '72 that had a black chassis.  It wasn't an original issue.  I've got another of that issue, will check that one but it has other differences to the one I built long ago.

Now that you mention it, I have a very vague recollection that the Revell '56 Chevy I built in 1970 had a white body and interior, and black chassis and engine parts. Is that possible? 

Sure is possible; in early issue Revell Tri-five Chevy kits, it's inevitable.  That's how they are.  I've also got a first-issue '56 Ford pickup kit, and I'm certain that it doesn't have any black plastic parts.

On 8/13/2019 at 5:50 PM, ChrisBcritter said:

The '61-'62 trucks get parted out on eBay fairly often as well; the last hood to go up bid to $10.50 and a set of Modelhaus front and rear bumpers went for $8.00.

The hood side ornaments went for $21.50 - might as well buy them, cast them, and resell them.

I have a set of the hood side spears, thanks for the price info...?

On 8/13/2019 at 9:06 PM, Renegade said:

SAM_0656.JPG

SAM_0657.JPG

SAM_0658.JPG

SAM_0659.JPG

SAM_0660.JPG

SAM_0661.JPG

I've got a pair of the side mirrors for the roadrunner if you want them.

Since there's so many '60s Rivieras being built lately I thought I'd go with the alternative '60s personal luxury car,, Thunderbird. ?

But not just any Thunderbird , had to be out of production.

IMG 2510

There's actually 2 builtups in the box with enough parts to build one stock and one custom. 

IMG 2507

IMG 2508

I also have a '68 which has better looking custom parts so I'll be using those on one of these. 

I love this generation T-bird. Such a "Rat Pack" vibe.

So, when the '62 Chrysler is done I'll be playing some Sinatra and Buble ? pouring a couple fingers of ?Scotch and creating one smooth custom T-bird baby! ?

• ranma changed the title to Bought two totes with model's in them at the US 127 Garage sales:: here's what was inside of them...