Model Cars Magazine Forum

What did you get today? (Model Car Related Items)

1 hour ago, Sam I Am said:

Nice score Jim.  I want to eventually pick up one of those nomads,  I already have the hardtop and convertible. 

Thanks Sam. I've started a small collection of the 1/16s. I've got a Lindberg Bull Horn, AMT '57 Thunderbird, MPC Cobra and the Nomad. Only other one I want is the '57 Vette. I'm glad you got the one recently listed for trade. I'll find one at some point. NBD right now.

I'm old so I'm thinking they may be easier to build. And they are a bigger canvas for custom paint:lol:. I can see on the box the Nomad is screaming for a custom paint job.

Edited by DPNM

19 hours ago, robdebie said:

Ron, I am also eagerly awaiting this kit! However, someone pointed out that the model looked awkward. I looked into it, and came up with the following quick & dirty shape analysis. I *really* hope that the photo is of a prototype model, not the production kit. Can you compare your model to the photos below and comment? Thanks in advance!

Rob

nunu-k3-mods.jpg

Looking at my shell and comparing it to the top photo I think it comes back  to camera angles and lenses changing perception..  I'd say mine is the same shell but I can't see the slightly award shape in that photo in my own shell.

My shell looks to be an accurate enough representation when comparing it to photos I've download though I have never seen one of these cars in person.

Looking at all the photos I have downloaded you can see the cars were changing  from race to race and car to car so I won't be the one to be saying what's right or wrong.

When taking the photos of the K2 and K3 below it was easy to make one or the other look different from reality just by moving the camera in and out/ up and down/around.

CtC0hFpXEAE7I0Z.jpg

IMG_3215.jpeg

IMG_3230.jpeg

7 hours ago, Roncla said:

Looking at my shell and comparing it to the top photo I think it comes back  to camera angles and lenses changing perception..  I'd say mine is the same shell but I can't see the slightly award shape in that photo in my own shell.

My shell looks to be an accurate enough representation when comparing it to photos I've download though I have never seen one of these cars in person.

Looking at all the photos I have downloaded you can see the cars were changing  from race to race and car to car so I won't be the one to be saying what's right or wrong.

When taking the photos of the K2 and K3 below it was easy to make one or the other look different from reality just by moving the camera in and out/ up and down/around.

IMG_3215.jpeg

IMG_3230.jpeg

FWIW it has been hard to find straight side on photos.

1823187198_Porsche_935K3_1979_41_KlausLudwig-DonWhittington-BillWhittingtonK3(1)crop.jpg.18318f6a55fcba305d81560520abcc97.jpg

Edited by Gramps46

1 hour ago, Gramps46 said:

FWIW it has been hard to find straight side on photos.

1823187198_Porsche_935K3_1979_41_KlausLudwig-DonWhittington-BillWhittingtonK3(1)crop.jpg.18318f6a55fcba305d81560520abcc97.jpg

Gary, many thanks for your search! I tried to overlay it on the 'modified' image that I posted earlier, but it doesn't work . The kit was photographed with much more perspective, i.e. from a smaller (relative) distance. You can see it most clearly on the wing, the shift of the two endplates.

nunu-k3-02.jpg

Rob

9 hours ago, Roncla said:

Ron, many thanks for your kit photos! The greenhouses look reasonable in these views. To be sure,  we need telelens photos straight from the side. I've made those kind of photos but it isn't easy.

I see something new in your photos: the running board of the K3 is much wider than that of the K2. I will have to start searching for K3 width and track numbers.

You're absolutely right that 935 are notoriously difficult because the teams did so many modifications. However the #41 Le Mans winner was the third-built K3, fresh from Kremer in its first race. Also, Kremer built their K3s from factory-supplied bare chassis, and did not lower them, like for example the 935-78. Therefore the greenhouse should be close to the street version. That's my main reference point, together with the wheelbase figure.

I'll probably buy the kit too and try to analyze it some more.

Rob

I used to use one of these when I worked for a print store and always wanted one - a Pantone swatch book!

29A43923-E09A-4CA6-AAEF-108B465C2F19.thumb.jpeg.611679110442e6714dcd87137010f659.jpeg

Printers use them to precisely match colors, and there’s literally HUNDREDS of variations of every color...but how’s this model related?

Well, photos aren’t a good reference to match paint to, as there’s a LOT of variables to factor in when you decide if the color is actually accurate.  If you have access to a 1:1 vehicle though, a set of these makes it easy to compare, say, a body or interior color, make a note of which swatch it matches and you’ve got an accurate reference to work off.  Not just big stuff like body or interior colors either, you can see exactly WHICH shade of black that plastic dash is, compared to the black leather seat compared to the rubber hoses under the hood.  

My wife’s boss was throwing it out so she brought it home for me - super useful!

Edited by CabDriver

8 hours ago, robdebie said:

Ron, many thanks for your kit photos! The greenhouses look reasonable in these views. To be sure,  we need telelens photos straight from the side. I've made those kind of photos but it isn't easy.

I see something new in your photos: the running board of the K3 is much wider than that of the K2. I will have to start searching for K3 width and track numbers.

You're absolutely right that 935 are notoriously difficult because the teams did so many modifications. However the #41 Le Mans winner was the third-built K3, fresh from Kremer in its first race. Also, Kremer built their K3s from factory-supplied bare chassis, and did not lower them, like for example the 935-78. Therefore the greenhouse should be close to the street version. That's my main reference point, together with the wheelbase figure.

I'll probably buy the kit too and try to analyze it some more.

Rob

I would definitely be buying the kit if your serious about critiquing its shape. Having the kits shell sitting  on my bench and looking at my IPhones screen at the same time its surprising how the shape can appear subtly different on the screen.

The one thing I will critique myself is the sill and door line on the kit appears to have a  more accentuated raise  from front to rear than my images of the real cars.

Porsche-935-K3-side.jpg

IMG_3247.jpg

Edited by Roncla

14 hours ago, Roncla said:

I would definitely be buying the kit if your serious about critiquing its shape. Having the kits shell sitting  on my bench and looking at my IPhones screen at the same time its surprising how the shape can appear subtly different on the screen.

The one thing I will critique myself is the sill and door line on the kit appears to have a  more accentuated raise  from front to rear than my images of the real cars.

Ron, thanks again for your photos! The door problem looks bad.. worse than I thought..  I had spotted it too, but did not try to correct in my 'modified' side view. It (sort of) confirms the feeling that they've been messing with the center section of the car to make the front and rear match in height.

I've thought of another way to answer the question of the greenhouse height. If you have calipers, and if you don't mind, could you measure the following dimensions. I will do the same on my Esci 934, Tamiya 934, Tamiya 935-76 and Tamiya 935-78 kits. To my uncalibrated eye, these last four have a similar greenhouse, that looks good to my eye (911-ish) , but maybe the numbers will tell a different story.

Rob

nunu-k3-03.jpg

Got this clean Johan '63 Chrysler 300 HT in the mail yesterday in good shape.   Has a resin hood and needs a few things (engine, radiator, firewall, torsion bars).   I have the '63 convertible, been wanting a ht to go with it for a while. 

IMG-3217.jpg

4 hours ago, Rob Hall said:

Got this clean Johan '63 Chrysler 300 HT in the mail yesterday in good shape.   Has a resin hood and needs a few things (engine, radiator, firewall, torsion bars).   I have the '63 convertible, been wanting a ht to go with it for a while.

Very nice example there Rob!!

I picked up a complete built up several years ago, but it has a lot more glue rash than yours!!

I also have a beat up '63 convertible that's ripe for "parts Picking".

I noticed that your resin hood seems to be missing the small peak that runs from the front, to about a third of the way back.

image.png.5ffe01b3cca1b4f96eb56048545f0641.png

Steve

18 hours ago, robdebie said:

Ron, thanks again for your photos! The door problem looks bad.. worse than I thought..  I had spotted it too, but did not try to correct in my 'modified' side view. It (sort of) confirms the feeling that they've been messing with the center section of the car to make the front and rear match in height.

I've thought of another way to answer the question of the greenhouse height. If you have calipers, and if you don't mind, could you measure the following dimensions. I will do the same on my Esci 934, Tamiya 934, Tamiya 935-76 and Tamiya 935-78 kits. To my uncalibrated eye, these last four have a similar greenhouse, that looks good to my eye (911-ish) , but maybe the numbers will tell a different story.

Rob

nunu-k3-03.jpg

Take these measurements as ball park. Because of the curves and shapes being measured it's not possible to pin the measurements exactly.

A. 23.70mm

B. 55.90mm

C. 43.80mm

D. 14.00mm

E. 26.00mm

F. 35.35mm

G. 62.60mm

H. 47.40mm

Edited by Roncla

12 hours ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

Very nice example there Rob!!

I picked up a complete built up several years ago, but it has a lot more glue rash than yours!!

I also have a beat up '63 convertible that's ripe for "parts Picking".

I noticed that your resin hood seems to be missing the small peak that runs from the front, to about a third of the way back.

It does have the crease, just wasn't visible in that distant cell phone photo... 

IMG-3225.jpg

On 12/30/2019 at 10:23 PM, Roncla said:

The newly issued  935K3  from NuNu has just arrived from Hobby Easy. NuNu are really setting the standard for others to follow with this release.

IMG_3102.jpeg

Good looking kit and very good looking subject. As a race/airfield marshal at the Silverstone Circuit here in the UK (about 5 miles away!) we saw these as soon as they were announced. We ran most European and World championship races here for sports cars in that era. And yes whoever had ordered one seemed to have their own slant on various design 'issues' as there were both 'factory' and 'private' teams attempting to beat each other! As seen bodyshapes, side skirts and rear wing locations and a whole host of other idaes were used on a regular basis to get the maximum potential from each car.

Superb to see racing, then and now as some are returning for classic races, sound and flames on overrun were spectacular to see and hear! 

I'd like to build one but as a retiree, the costs of most new kits are out of reach now.

Edited by PatW

On ‎1‎/‎2‎/‎2020 at 1:27 PM, Rob Hall said:

Last orders from 2019 came today,  from USCP a set of Work Rezax II 18 inch wheels and tires and a Sharp boombox, and from Model Roundup the latest Moeibus Ford pickups.

IMG-3192.jpg

That's all great stuff- but that boom box is DA BOMB! :)

You must build it and photograph it next to an 80's car ASAP! 

Got these 2 today, at the Hobby Connection in Easley, SC. I don't know if it's Hobbico fallout or what, but that store had several of the same Revell kits in both "American" (small) boxes and "Euro" (large) boxes.  The AAR Cuda, Porsche Jr. Diesel farm tractor and some others. Also the re-issue of the Revell '55 Chevy Convertible Indy Pace Car, in a large Euro box. I wonder if Revell corrected the decal sheet in that one.  IIRC, the original issue was missing some of the text on the trunk.

Also stopped by the Hobby Lobby in Easley, which has some car kits displayed on a rack in the main aisle. I hoped those were discounted, but nope, full price.  One that surprised me was the "Mr. Speed" '53 Studebaker.  That kit was in the stores several years ago and not seen since.  They must have found it stuck behind a pile of boxes in the storeroom or something.  So if you're in the area and need a '53 Stude, there you go.

1-6-20a.jpg

1-6-20b.jpg

• ranma changed the title to Bought two totes with model's in them at the US 127 Garage sales:: here's what was inside of them...