Model Cars Magazine Forum

What did you get today? (Model Car Related Items)

2 hours ago, GeeBee said:

Yes, I think I've definitely got a problem, but I was offered this one for £20, how could I refuse??

We all have the problem Geoff...to differing degrees ?

20 pounds ?..that's Hobby shop pricing here in Onterrible...speaking of which, went to my local (1 hr. around the lake @ 130km/h on the Queen Elizabeth Highway(I was not the slowest))

20200115_161920_HDR.jpg.9b1616e6f27e5a385c477fc9e5ada21e.jpg

.....now...what was I doing...?

Bench time?

On 12/24/2019 at 1:26 PM, Rodent said:

There is a Comet rear bumper on e-Bay right now. They are the same, right?

On 12/24/2019 at 12:42 PM, Snake45 said:

Last night on eBay I scored a complete, very restorable/rebuildable '69 El Camino. Also got a JoHan promo Maverick body, glass, and front bumper (and taillights) for a very reasonable price. Needs the rear bumper but I'm keeping my eyes open. Eventually I might find a really messed up glue bomb or promo cheap that I can pirate the chassis and interior from, or maybe steal them from a more common Comet kit. Where there's a will, there's a way! 

Was cruising eBay today and saw that, or one just like it. $12 and nearly that much for shipping. Ouch!

Just now I was looking at something else entirely and what pops up but a VERY "distressed" whole Maverick promo. Its problem is the roof is completely broken off and is in pieces. But the complete interior is there, and the chassis, wheels, tires, taillight panel and taillights, front bumper & grille, and, especially, the rear bumper I need! Price (shipped) was about the same as the bumper alone with its shipping. I almost hurt my finger hitting the Buy It Now button! :lol:

Only thing that's not perfect about it is, the body I bought last month is Original Cinnamon (which I love), and this damaged one is a deep blue. Oh well, that's what matte black rattlecans are for, right? B)

I'm looking forward to a polished plastic Original Cinnamon Maverick on my shelf in the near future. 

Edited by Snake45

As well as this 2 i got another 2 tamiya beetles for use with the modelcarparts resin bugs, another revell mk1 golf convert for use with the c1 caddy and another split screen pick up.

When i opened the toyota I got a pleasant surprise too, yes that is 2 mostly complete kits in the box so I'll call that a win since i didn't expect that. Theres only one chassis but i think i can cut down an extra hasegawa american series to fit as i have a spare one of them and these are going to be slammed and curbside so dont really need detailed, just some matt black

DSC05765.JPG

DSC05764.JPG

DSC05766.JPG

On 1/15/2020 at 5:38 PM, Snake45 said:

Was cruising eBay today and saw that, or one just like it. $12 and nearly that much for shipping. Ouch!

The one I saw wasn't that expensive. It probably sold. Glad you got what you need to build your Mavewreck!

Edit: This is the one I was talking about and it is still available. I believe the Maverick and Comet rear bumpers are the same.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/362881009059?ViewItem=&item=362881009059

Edited by Rodent

21 hours ago, Rodent said:

The one I saw wasn't that expensive. It probably sold. Glad you got what you need to build your Mavewreck!

Edit: This is the one I was talking about and it is still available. I believe the Maverick and Comet rear bumpers are the same.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/362881009059?ViewItem=&item=362881009059

I have used AMT 67 Mustang rear bumpers on Johan Comets...

I'm working my up to those '66 Ford pickups!! HAHAHA

I did get these today:

First up, is the '64 Plymouth "Lawman" kit:

DSC03686-vi.jpg

Next, is the V-100 project Sam I Am posted in the Dust Collector thread:

DSC03684-vi.jpg

He and I worked up a trade, and I'll see if I can do this project justice.

On 1/14/2020 at 11:41 AM, Modlbldr said:

What am I thankful for today? The parts I received from Tom Geiger (Duster parts and the cool napkins) and ewetwo (63 Ford bumper and taillights) to. Thanks Tom and Dave! Much appreciated.

Thanks Tom!  I'm pleased to see you received everything in good condition!   And funny to see my napkin on the other side of the country, as I sit here and see the rest of them on my kitchen table!   

Got this very clean AMT '65 Chevelle from ePay. Not sure if it's a promo or a Craftsman. All the Craftmans I've seen are molded in a bright yellow, but I don't know if there were other colors. This one is molded in a sort of light beige (has been painted white or off-white). I've already disassembled it and cleaned all parts with dish soap and water; soon as it's dry it goes right to the front of the Snake-Fu line. Can't wait to get it on the shelf!

65ChevelleWhite03.jpg.828491bc05423e97f472eb96eeb7212c.jpg

65ChevelleWhite09.jpg.83e12ad5b759ca7b0c496b47035bbbe7.jpg

Edited by Snake45

4 hours ago, Tom Geiger said:

Thanks Tom!  I'm pleased to see you received everything in good condition!   And funny to see my napkin on the other side of the country, as I sit here and see the rest of them on my kitchen table!   

Glad to help Tom. No problem. You've been good to me also.

4 minutes ago, Snake45 said:

Got this very clean AMT '65 Chevelle from ePay. Not sure if it's a promo or a Craftsman. All the Craftmans I've seen are molded in a bright yellow, but I don't know if there were other colors. This one is molded in a sort of light beige (has been painted white or off-white). I've already disassembled it and cleaned all parts with dish soap and water; soon as it's dry it goes right to the front of the Snake-Fu line. Can't wait to get it on the shelf!

Hey snake, I could be wrong but I have found that a lot of the old annual models seem to have a beige/white look to them. The newer ones are the ones that are bright white.

6 minutes ago, Snake45 said:

That is a clean Chevelle Snake. Are you going to remove the paint and bring the original color back?

1 hour ago, ewetwo said:

Hey snake, I could be wrong but I have found that a lot of the old annual models seem to have a beige/white look to them. The newer ones are the ones that are bright white.

The "white" is definitely paint. The chassis and outside of the interior (and inside of the body) show the beige color. 

1 hour ago, Sam I Am said:

That is a clean Chevelle Snake. Are you going to remove the paint and bring the original color back?

Not right now. I'm gonna see what a light polish does for it. Down the road I might strip it and paint it. The beige isn't that great a color, nor is it an original factory color. 

Did good at the LMMCC meeting last night; won a Millennium Edition '66 Nova in the raffle (a kit I somehow never got around to building), and a near-mint PMC styrene '59 Ford Ranch Wagon body from another member (which of course is one Skyliner kit away from being a near-complete car).

Also passed along a big boxful of Tom P.'s parts molds to Pedro of Page Resins; lots of little obscure bits and pieces in them.

Edited by ChrisBcritter

14 hours ago, Snake45 said:

The "white" is definitely paint. The chassis and outside of the interior (and inside of the body) show the beige color. 

Not right now. I'm gonna see what a light polish does for it. Down the road I might strip it and paint it. The beige isn't that great a color, nor is it an original factory color. 

That's a great looking find. As you pointed out the '64 Chevelle models in the Craftsman Series were molded in Yellow, I still have one left. Since this has the complete Trunk moldings this leads me to think this is either an Annual or a Promo, either way I would think it's very collectable.   

56 minutes ago, espo said:

That's a great looking find. As you pointed out the '64 Chevelle models in the Craftsman Series were molded in Yellow, I still have one left. Since this has the complete Trunk moldings this leads me to think this is either an Annual or a Promo, either way I would think it's very collectable.   

I'm now pretty sure it's a promo. Another clue was that someone glued some scrap plastic on the inside of the chassis so they could re-drill the axle holes for common wire axles instead of the thicker promo-type axles. I saw that plastic in there and it took me a while to figger out why they'd done that. 

Did AMT even do an annual '65 Chevelle kit, except of course the Craftsman? I've never seen one, never seen a box. Odd that they would do full kits of the wagon and Elky but not the HT. 

Last night I did a light polish on the body and it turned out even better than I'd hoped. The paint stood up better than I expected, thin as it looks. I could have probably gone even a little more aggressive and got a little more shine, but there are so many sharp lines on this body I didn't want to risk rubbing through. Too easy to do, only takes a second, and then the whole paint job is ruined and you have to strip it and start over. 

With a little luck, I could get the thing Snake-Fu'ed today. Wish me luck! B)

5 minutes ago, Snake45 said:

I'm now pretty sure it's a promo. Another clue was that someone glued some scrap plastic on the inside of the chassis so they could re-drill the axle holes for common wire axles instead of the thicker promo-type axles. I saw that plastic in there and it took me a while to figger out why they'd done that. 

Did AMT even do an annual '65 Chevelle kit, except of course the Craftsman? I've never seen one, never seen a box. Odd that they would do full kits of the wagon and Elky but not the HT. 

I don't think so, I think the only '64 and '65 Chevelle annual kits were the wagon and El Camino.  The 2dr ht was only available in Craftsman form.

• ranma changed the title to Bought two totes with model's in them at the US 127 Garage sales:: here's what was inside of them...