Model Cars Magazine Forum

What did you get today? (Model Car Related Items)

I haven't opened it yet.  Did just read that the Revell Germany version supposedly has better decals and instruction sheet (ooooops).  Since I haven't built in a while I don't feel like trying that paint scheme, so I am thinking THIS ONE:

image.png.7d8a63b14441678b9c1abd172bf57e76.png

... but again, the price of these decal sheets is NUTS!!

Suddenly it's 1961!  My haul from the SCMA show yesterday. Found some Grails, including that  '61 Corvair Monza hardtop in its original box w/extra parts, and the built '61 Corvair convertible. 

The '61 Tempest had side exhausts glued on with Elmer's, that'll buff right out. And the rear valence panel is missing, but that's findable. The AMT '63 Vette is an original with working headlights, and its brother is an AMT '64.  The '60  El Camino has a clean bed with nothing ever glued into it, which is very hard to find.

The red monster is a Revell '62 4-door Dodge Dart that looks complete. And the yellow monster is a '69 Firebird convertible, price one whole dollar. The Jeep Commando box, as the sticker says, has a mint-condition older Jeepster body inside plus parts from 2 or 3 more Jeepster kits. Since I have "Ford v Ferrari Fever" like everybody else, I was happy to find that Revell (ex-Aurora) early GT-40. 

1-18-20_scma.JPG

Edited by Mike999
goof

Haven’t been able to find my good scriber for, ohh, a year so I finally relented and decided to buy another so that the first one will come out of hiding ??

16C97979-4C1B-448F-917F-E4FFA751C85F.thumb.jpeg.6d6ca1e1692e79eb8229caab2282b827.jpeg

Never used the Tamiya one but apparently it’s decent...ordered at 12pm and here by 3!?!  Incredible service - I can’t even get to the local hobby shop and back that fast ?

8 minutes ago, Mike999 said:

Suddenly it's 1961!  My haul from the SCMA show yesterday. Found some Grails, including that  '61 Corvair Monza hardtop in its original box w/extra parts, and the built '61 Corvair convertible. 

Man!  Did you buy the entire swap meet?! ?  You done real good!

I know a bunch of folks that were headed to that show.... do you know Tom Valenta and Sarge Hollen? 

Just now, CabDriver said:

Haven’t been able to find my good scriber for, ohh, a year so I finally relented and decided to buy another so that the first one will come out of hiding ??

16C97979-4C1B-448F-917F-E4FFA751C85F.thumb.jpeg.6d6ca1e1692e79eb8229caab2282b827.jpeg

Never used the Tamiya one but apparently it’s decent...ordered at 12pm and here by 3!?!  Incredible service - I can’t even get to the local hobby shop and back that fast ?

Yea that strategy worked for me!  I couldn't find my scriber, bought another and guess what popped up?   It's good to have two of everything just for this reason.

Just now, Tom Geiger said:

Yea that strategy worked for me!  I couldn't find my scriber, bought another and guess what popped up?   It's good to have two of everything just for this reason.

I strategically bought a different type to the one I have - so when the other one turns up I’ll have two different kinds at my disposal ?

2 hours ago, Tom Geiger said:

Man!  Did you buy the entire swap meet?! ?  You done real good!

I know a bunch of folks that were headed to that show.... do you know Tom Valenta and Sarge Hollen? 

Thanks, Tom!  Just lucky. This show had a lot of vendors selling old built-ups. No, sorry I don't know those guys personally. 

Edited by Mike999
goof

I was browsing my kind of local hobby store today and found myself a Tamiya Aston Martin DBS For a decent price 54£. Was looking at eBay and saw they were taking over hundred pounds so I believe I got a decent deal. I didn’t intend to buy a model but I couldn’t resist since it was the DBS dot I were at the factory in 2006 For three weeks and built the 1:1 db9. And also rode in a bunch of Astons Through the press garage at the factory.I even had great luck to be able to work on one of those with disassembling the whole driveline to be able to change some parts. So I couldn’t pass up on this kit! And I might need to get a full photo etched for it...

image.thumb.jpg.79df17d2061765f3366fa6965e2f4bfd.jpg

Edited by Mattilacken

22 hours ago, Mike999 said:

The '61 Tempest had side exhausts glued on with Elmer's, that'll buff right out. And the rear valence panel is missing, but that's findable. The AMT '63 Vette is an original with working headlights, and its brother is an AMT '64.  The '60  El Camino has a clean bed with nothing ever glued into it, which is very hard to find.

The red monster is a Revell '62 4-door Dodge Dart that looks complete. And the yellow monster is a '69 Firebird convertible, price one whole dollar. The Jeep Commando box, as the sticker says, has a mint-condition older Jeepster body inside plus parts from 2 or 3 more Jeepster kits. Since I have "Ford v Ferrari Fever" like everybody else, I was happy to find that Revell (ex-Aurora) early GT-40. 

1-18-20_scma.JPG

Great looking haul. If the MPC Dodge is going to be anything other than a CHP I would be interested in the decals, maybe I have something to trade that will help you.   

On 1/19/2020 at 6:02 AM, 64SS350 said:

Got these at model show yesterday

15794351174331574694178.jpg

Nice haul

22 hours ago, Mike999 said:

1-18-20_scma.JPG

wow, great haul!

2 hours ago, Mattilacken said:

... For a decent price 54£. Was looking at eBay and saw they were taking over hundred pounds so I believe I got a decent deal. 

image.thumb.jpg.79df17d2061765f3366fa6965e2f4bfd.jpg

I got $85.00 for mine (along with a small sheet of etch) on Ebay, so YES you got a deal!  

MIKE999 - have you ever built one of those MPC Dodge's?  I did years ago and you may want to see if more correct wheels are still available via aftermarket.  The kit ones are silly-deep.

1 hour ago, Nells250 said:

MIKE999 - have you ever built one of those MPC Dodge's?  I did years ago and you may want to see if more correct wheels are still available via aftermarket.  The kit ones are silly-deep.

Round 2 fixed that in this version of the Dodge Monaco, and got rid of those crazy deep-dish wheels.  I have the older "Joker/Gotham Police" Monaco with the wheels you're talking about. 

2 hours ago, espo said:

Great looking haul. If the MPC Dodge is going to be anything other than a CHP I would be interested in the decals, maybe I have something to trade that will help you.   

Thanks but I'll probably build it out of the box and use the decals. They look pretty good, from the online reviews.  If you need CHP decals there are some on eBay.  Or Lindberg did a CHP version of its Crown Vic with good decals. Those kits are easy to find and fairly cheap. Or somebody may have a set they didn't use.

Also,  thanks for the nice comments from everybody on the "haul."  I really lucked out.

The deep wheels are still in the box also (CHP Monaco)..I think I may get a set of the slotted police style wheels and hub caps from Fireball Modelworks.  The new parts Round 2 included aren't the '77-78 style. 

Edited by Rob Hall

54 minutes ago, Mike999 said:

Round 2 fixed that in this version of the Dodge Monaco, and got rid of those crazy deep-dish wheels.  I have the older "Joker/Gotham Police" Monaco with the wheels you're talking about. 

Thanks but I'll probably build it out of the box and use the decals. They look pretty good, from the online reviews.  If you need CHP decals there are some on eBay.  Or Lindberg did a CHP version of its Crown Vic with good decals. Those kits are easy to find and fairly cheap. Or somebody may have a set they didn't use.

Also,  thanks for the nice comments from everybody on the "haul."  I really lucked out.

Good luck on your CHP Dodge, I would like to see that build. My deal is a '50 Olds CHP car and I have decals from Chimneyville Hobbies and the Mustang LX coupe from Revell.  

3 hours ago, carnut said:

I picked this up last Saturday at my local LHS. I’ve built one of these before when the glue kit first came out as a 2016, so I kind of know what I’m up against. These are really sinister looking when you build them right.

1E5B2439-84F9-4B4E-95B6-CB4B59E86979.jpeg

I like that...

Came into the lunchroom at work to find these waiting for me. A guy picked them up for me at a thrift store.

The Mustang was done by someone who is in the hobby. Wired engine, BMF. Just need a good and bumpers and a little cleanup.

Now to figure out who the guy is on this site that builds the hover vehicles. The white sprue tree looks like it would be good parts for that.

Later-

IMG_20200121_100510616.jpg

IMG_20200121_100533372.jpg

IMG_20200121_100550260.jpg

IMG_20200121_100608850.jpg

• ranma changed the title to Bought two totes with model's in them at the US 127 Garage sales:: here's what was inside of them...