Model Cars Magazine Forum

What did you get today? (Model Car Related Items)

31 minutes ago, Modlbldr said:

Came into the lunchroom at work to find these waiting for me. A guy picked them up for me at a thrift store.

The Mustang was done by someone who is in the hobby. Wired engine, BMF. Just need a good and bumpers and a little cleanup.

Now to figure out who the guy is on this site that builds the hover vehicles. The white sprue tree looks like it would be good parts for that.

Later-

IMG_20200121_100510616.jpg

Is the company you work for hiring? 

?

I paid my LHS here in Cranberry Twp. (Hobby Express) a visit this afternoon and replenished my dwindling stock of Testors metalizers, Model Master flat & gloss jar paints, Testors Gloss clearcoat lacquers, & Tamiya primers & clearcoats (semi-gloss & gloss).  The Mgr. was telling me how upset they are over Rustoleum suddenly dropping the Testors line of automotive and military paints as they were very popular and good sellers.  He also mentioned that Donn Yost had been in not too long ago and bought up all the Testors paints he could find...  Fortunately they were able to restock most of it but a lot of the paint rack stocks are dwindling.  Tamiya seems to be the go-to paints right now.  He also said that acrylics seem to be gaining in popularity.

Finally.

780865485_60fordpickup3.jpg.3fc9016e67872caf46b885ebc18e2f13.jpg

2107971177_60fordpickup2.jpg.4541325d749e8f0f47fc6694b83730e3.jpg

2057476453_60fordpickup4.jpg.1a5113569bce20bced95f9a7c6ab8c8b.jpg

271502627_60fordpickup1.jpg.8c6c9c8c87d677b0494e6fd4249734d9.jpg

From what I can tell (the phone used to take these pictures must have been composed of two Dixie Cups on a string), it's in pretty decent shape and the seller very thoroughly described its issues. It has some roof damage from gluing the glass (really looking forward to removing those windows :rolleyes:), but it's unpainted and complete. I do like the rake with the polished Halibrand knockoffs (anyone know what kit they're from?);  I may just keep that look. Wasn't cheap, but cheaper than some I've watched lately.

Now Moebius will announce a '60 F-100 pickup in 3... 2... 1... 

Edited by ChrisBcritter

Nice truck. Halibrands probably from wheel pack with added rims I think. Chrome there, that's the hard part anymore. Really savable. Cool

That glue is pretty ancient. Water and freezer may be all you need. 

Edited by DukeE

On 1/20/2020 at 9:58 AM, espo said:

Great looking haul. If the MPC Dodge is going to be anything other than a CHP I would be interested in the decals, maybe I have something to trade that will help you.   

I have some CHP decals if you're interested.

In the last week I picked up 4 kits. One was a serious bucket lister for me.

Monogram '40 Ford Pickup Street Rod. I wanted a pickup, but older. Have had this one before, want to do a good job this time around.

MPC Deora Show Car, 2005 reissue. It's a classic custom, what else is there to say?

MPC Spirit of '57 '57 Chevy. I'm a huge sucker for one piece tilt front ends. Will compliment my MPC '66 Malibu if I ever get it built.

And the biggie, literally,

The Lindberg FIAT Dragster/cabriolet 1/12th kit. This one has been a life long want of mine. I know some don't think it is accurate, but It's one I always lusted for. And I got it for under $20 at the Sales Shack, along with the first two listed above for close to $12 each. The way my vision is getting, I might have to move up to this scale sooner or later.

Thanks,

Russ

10 hours ago, av405 said:

I have some CHP decals if you're interested.

I would be interested depending on which ones you have. I now have the Revell Mustang LX from a couple of years ago that had the CHP option. The '48 Ford coupe has some generic type decals and I have a set I bought from Chimneyville Hobbies some time ago. I'm trying to replicate a '50's era CHP car using the '50 Oldsmobile as a basis. I've only been able to find one old b@w photo on line and it isn't the best quality photo anyway. If you have something you think would look better yes I would be interested and thank you for your offer. 

12 hours ago, ChrisBcritter said:

Finally.

780865485_60fordpickup3.jpg.3fc9016e67872caf46b885ebc18e2f13.jpg

2107971177_60fordpickup2.jpg.4541325d749e8f0f47fc6694b83730e3.jpg

2057476453_60fordpickup4.jpg.1a5113569bce20bced95f9a7c6ab8c8b.jpg

271502627_60fordpickup1.jpg.8c6c9c8c87d677b0494e6fd4249734d9.jpg

From what I can tell (the phone used to take these pictures must have been composed of two Dixie Cups on a string), it's in pretty decent shape and the seller very thoroughly described its issues. It has some roof damage from gluing the glass (really looking forward to removing those windows :rolleyes:), but it's unpainted and complete. I do like the rake with the polished Halibrand knockoffs (anyone know what kit they're from?);  I may just keep that look. Wasn't cheap, but cheaper than some I've watched lately.

Now Moebius will announce a '60 F-100 pickup in 3... 2... 1... 

This looks like an old AMT annual. They used to have plastic inserts to glue into the chassis plate. These would have two sets of holes, one for stock and one for lowering the ride height. I agree the photos are out of focus but I'd grab this in a second since it looks like a relatively easy restoration project or just clean it up and display it as a blast from the past.   

15 hours ago, Deathgoblin said:

Got a Jo-Han 1962 Chrysler 300H convertible from eBay.  It's in really nice shape.  :)

s-l1600 (19).jpg

That's a nice one Brian!

And a lot harder to find than a lot of people realize.

I got a '62 300 glue bomb in a trade with another member of the board and restored it immediately after I got it.

It is now one of my most highly prized models.

image.jpeg.74e3f269289056cec02e5a91da5f9d5a.jpeg

image.jpeg.6955549e72f0d322ccbe7472cccd0cf0.jpeg

Have fun with it!

It's a great model!

Steve

37 minutes ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

Finally got a set of grille halves for my AMT '64 Bonneville!

Now I have all that I need to build it!!

image.jpeg.aa4ba1d90f6074397bd0703cfaaca960.jpeg

Steve

Not quite Steve, you need about 200 hours for all the detail you build into each car.....

19 hours ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

That's a nice one Brian!

And a lot harder to find than a lot of people realize.

I got a '62 300 glue bomb in a trade with another member of the board and restored it immediately after I got it.

It is now one of my most highly prized models.

image.jpeg.74e3f269289056cec02e5a91da5f9d5a.jpeg

image.jpeg.6955549e72f0d322ccbe7472cccd0cf0.jpeg

Have fun with it!

It's a great model!

Steve

I hope mine comes out half as well as yours did.  :)  I think it's going on the bench as soon as I finish the car I'm working on now.  I've got a series in mind that I'll post when they're all done.  :)

On 1/22/2020 at 6:24 AM, espo said:

I would be interested depending on which ones you have. I now have the Revell Mustang LX from a couple of years ago that had the CHP option. The '48 Ford coupe has some generic type decals and I have a set I bought from Chimneyville Hobbies some time ago. I'm trying to replicate a '50's era CHP car using the '50 Oldsmobile as a basis. I've only been able to find one old b@w photo on line and it isn't the best quality photo anyway. If you have something you think would look better yes I would be interested and thank you for your offer. 

PM sent.

Trying to not post every single thing I get, so here is this past month's binge:

VW Rabbit trade, saw an Under Glass of two nice Golfs, made me want to find one, then the trade offer days later had this, so that was awesome manifestation ability.
Spot Model is a favorite source, *had to* splurge on the awesome USCP engine detail kit, plus window mask, and reference book for the Beemax Quattro.  The Pikes Peak decals are for the Profil kit.  Also got photo-etch details for the Academy Ferrari 250LM.
Nissan engine in a trade that will go in the 510 that I've had awhile.
Splash paint for the Green Barge.  Awesome turnaround service!
Not in the picture is the HRM Ferrari distributors, which is exciting, which I traded emblems for.

IMG_1399_Fotor.jpg

• ranma changed the title to Bought two totes with model's in them at the US 127 Garage sales:: here's what was inside of them...