Model Cars Magazine Forum

What did you get today? (Model Car Related Items)

Got my web-theme build for NNL East in the Mail today!  I was out when it came, so I was relieved that our terrible Moroccan neighbors didn’t get chance to steal it before I got home like they’ve been doing with my wife’s packages...

0C407BE0-BCE5-470E-BC90-930807D9216B.thumb.jpeg.4be9c6550127859e54ecec156df2ea24.jpeg

There’s a lot of stuff in this box!

9B3B911A-5A8C-4CB7-9EC2-A1CF31DCBA04.thumb.jpeg.aa45cf7e7860528fa499af9e668dad5f.jpeg

2DCF915F-714D-4DAA-8BD4-A71B8395EAE9.thumb.jpeg.4fdfb78be98c9b4cefa2da707ecf1169.jpeg

I don’t have as crazy of an idea as Impalow had for his...but I still got a little bit of a crazy idea for it...

On 1/21/2020 at 7:56 PM, ChrisBcritter said:

Finally.

780865485_60fordpickup3.jpg.3fc9016e67872caf46b885ebc18e2f13.jpg

2107971177_60fordpickup2.jpg.4541325d749e8f0f47fc6694b83730e3.jpg

2057476453_60fordpickup4.jpg.1a5113569bce20bced95f9a7c6ab8c8b.jpg

271502627_60fordpickup1.jpg.8c6c9c8c87d677b0494e6fd4249734d9.jpg

From what I can tell (the phone used to take these pictures must have been composed of two Dixie Cups on a string), it's in pretty decent shape and the seller very thoroughly described its issues. It has some roof damage from gluing the glass (really looking forward to removing those windows :rolleyes:), but it's unpainted and complete. I do like the rake with the polished Halibrand knockoffs (anyone know what kit they're from?);  I may just keep that look. Wasn't cheap, but cheaper than some I've watched lately.

Now Moebius will announce a '60 F-100 pickup in 3... 2... 1... 

Yeah, those pics are rough. The Halibrands look like they might be the ones from the original annual-issue AMT ‘63 Impala SS kits. 

On 1/22/2020 at 6:24 AM, espo said:

I would be interested depending on which ones you have. I now have the Revell Mustang LX from a couple of years ago that had the CHP option. The '48 Ford coupe has some generic type decals and I have a set I bought from Chimneyville Hobbies some time ago. I'm trying to replicate a '50's era CHP car using the '50 Oldsmobile as a basis. I've only been able to find one old b@w photo on line and it isn't the best quality photo anyway. If you have something you think would look better yes I would be interested and thank you for your offer. 

David, just confirming you got my PM?

19 hours ago, av405 said:

David, just confirming you got my PM?

I tried to open your message and I think the problem is I'm not on Face Book and it will not let me in to read your message. I would like to here from you about any additional information you may have. We'll have to figure out another way I guess. 

On 1/22/2020 at 1:55 PM, thatz4u said:

Not quite Steve, you need about 200 hours for all the detail you build into each car.....

If I applied Steve's level of detail to my entire stash, it would take 18 years working 24 hours a day! (I gotta trim down the pile!)

Rescued from ePay--'73 Camaro promo. Rough shape but complete except for part of one A-pillar. I can fix it--I've worked with worse. 

73Camaro02.jpg.1f17989b6e5b41c8937b344ff58604b3.jpg

Also rescued, '72 Chevelle convertible. Now, as far as I know, AMT never did a '72 Chevelle convertible, so it looks like someone did their own workbench conversion. The front bumper/grille alone is worth almost what I paid for the whole thing, and I figgered worse comes to worst I could transfer the roof off a common '70 reissue, or graft the front fender tips of this body onto a '70 reissue body, but now I'm thinking of doing one of my trademark Snake-Fu "rescues" on it and putting it on the shelf, at least for the time being. The paint actually looks better in person than in the pics. 

72ChevelleConv04.jpg.5bb94180fa0342a5433fd6d7d7bd8cdf.jpg

72ChevelleConv05.jpg.d78c120c9be90f7e764238b861da13e0.jpg

7 hours ago, espo said:

I tried to open your message and I think the problem is I'm not on Face Book and it will not let me in to read your message. I would like to here from you about any additional information you may have. We'll have to figure out another way I guess. 

I'm not sure what it would have to do with Facebook. The private messaging system is part of this forum, not facebook or anything else. Is your inbox full? We can always correspond by email if you wish.

9 minutes ago, br67 said:

Cleanly built but dusty 68 chevelle annual landed today

8A4301E2-51E5-41B6-BA36-7A6C65C04AC4.jpeg

Amazing! I am always gobsmacked at what you are able to turn up where you are. I don't have half your luck right here in the Good Old USA. 

Dunno what your plans are for that Chevelle, but if it were mine, I'd clean it up, see if the paint would take what I call a "light polish," hit it with some first degree Snake-Fu, and proudly display it as a Survivor. 

25 minutes ago, Snake45 said:

Amazing! I am always gobsmacked at what you are able to turn up where you are. I don't have half your luck right here in the Good Old USA. 

Dunno what your plans are for that Chevelle, but if it were mine, I'd clean it up, see if the paint would take what I call a "light polish," hit it with some first degree Snake-Fu, and proudly display it as a Survivor. 

Thanks snake - most of my purchase are in the USA off eBay or facebook. Somehow I like this one just like this at the moment. It’s got the look and feel of a real 1:1 barnfind 

17 hours ago, Snake45 said:

Rescued from ePay--'73 Camaro promo. Rough shape but complete except for part of one A-pillar. I can fix it--I've worked with worse. 

Good finds!  I zoomed that Camaro pic. I may be wrong, but it seems to have the same problem as a beat-up '72 GTO promo I found at a flea market.

Take a close look at the middle of the roof.  In your pic, it looks slightly warped, with a dip.  On the GTO that's so subtle I didn't notice it at first. But the GTO roof is definitely warped.  The warping is exactly where the rectangular hole is, in the glass piece. 

This surprised me. I thought the promo-warping problem was fixed by the early 1970's.  But I guess any plastic will warp if it gets hot enough, over a long enough time.  

The GTO was cheap, which is good because there isn't much I can steal from it.  Mostly the wheels and nice pre-painted black grilles/front bumper. The interior may be a little sharper than the MPC '72 GTO kit that's as eternal as Count Dracula. But it has the warped roof and a busted rear bumper.  Maybe a convertible...

1 hour ago, Mike999 said:

Good finds!  I zoomed that Camaro pic. I may be wrong, but it seems to have the same problem as a beat-up '72 GTO promo I found at a flea market.

Take a close look at the middle of the roof.  In your pic, it looks slightly warped, with a dip.  On the GTO that's so subtle I didn't notice it at first. But the GTO roof is definitely warped.  The warping is exactly where the rectangular hole is, in the glass piece. 

Funny you should mention that. I noticed exactly the same thing in the eBay pic. I thought at the time, "Oh well, since it's missing the A-pillar anyway, I can always fill in the dent and give it a vinyl top." (I'm planning on polishing out the red plastic.) First thing I looked at when I opened it, and there doesn't seem to be any depression in real life. Maybe it's some photo quirk having to do with the fact that the roof is pretty scratched up. 

• ranma changed the title to Bought two totes with model's in them at the US 127 Garage sales:: here's what was inside of them...