Model Cars Magazine Forum

What did you get today? (Model Car Related Items)

2 hours ago, Mike999 said:

Good finds!  I zoomed that Camaro pic. I may be wrong, but it seems to have the same problem as a beat-up '72 GTO promo I found at a flea market.

Take a close look at the middle of the roof.  In your pic, it looks slightly warped, with a dip.  On the GTO that's so subtle I didn't notice it at first. But the GTO roof is definitely warped.  The warping is exactly where the rectangular hole is, in the glass piece. 

This surprised me. I thought the promo-warping problem was fixed by the early 1970's.  But I guess any plastic will warp if it gets hot enough, over a long enough time.  

The GTO was cheap, which is good because there isn't much I can steal from it.  Mostly the wheels and nice pre-painted black grilles/front bumper. The interior may be a little sharper than the MPC '72 GTO kit that's as eternal as Count Dracula. But it has the warped roof and a busted rear bumper.  Maybe a convertible...

Did you buy the GTO for parts or just in case? 

13 minutes ago, slusher said:

Did you buy the GTO for parts or just in case? 

A little of both, I guess. Thanks for asking.  I thought I would replace the broken rear bumper from the MPC kit, polish out the plastic and display it. It's molded in a bright yellow color.  Then I saw the warp and couldn't un-see it...

Three more I recently liberated from ePay. 

'70 Javelin. Been chasing these for years. Missing the A-pillars, but they're simple and look easy to fix. This one was definitely played with, and the top has a LOT of scratches that look like they're from gravel. The rest isn't perfect, but not too bad. I really like the color. Pretty sure I can bring it back from the dead. 

70Javelin02.jpg.b4cb6dbaffb0d4fc37a8d13c4b23f45a.jpg

70Javelin06.jpg.034eb259f95e392ca67343f7ff8cfebf.jpg

'69 Javelin, another one that has eluded me for years. Both A-pillars are bent/bowed, but not broken, and should be easily fixable. The left front tire is split, but I think I can fix that. Otherwise in VERY nice shape. It came with a foil sticker from some kind of Driver Ed Association on the trunk, which caused me some concern. I was able to VERY carefully peel it off without damaging the paint, and even was able to remove about 99% of the adhesive residue. There's still a couple tiny gobs of the stuff on there, which I'll have to experiment to see if I can get it off. I've learned the hard way that (at least) some promo paint is EXTREMELY fragile and won't hold up to even a light polish or rubbing alcohol. If I have to, I'll just live with it, because I LOVE this color. I paid the second highest price I have ever paid for ANY model car for it, and don't regret a cent of it. 

69Javelin01.jpg.bd79c6dbe298ab6274d3a686d982c9fe.jpg

69Javelin04.jpg.f29933e7f72bc15ac9a819a2903e5547.jpg

And yet another one I've been trying for forEVER, a '71 Chevelle. Would have been very happy with a restorable glue bomb or distressed promo, but this turns out to be an unbuilt kit that the only thing that's been done to it is the body has been painted in a very nice, very smooth, very shiny black. All kit parts seem to be present and many are still on the sprues, including both bumpers and the headlights. Decals have a slight tire mark. Got it for an astounding price for what it is, which could be because in the eBay pics, at first it looked like there was no chrome. You had to scroll all the way to the right of the pic slideshow and there at last was ONE shot that included the chrome sprue almost as an afterthought. I imagine many shoppers didn't look that far. My original plan when I bought it was to strip it and paint it '71 Copper, but now I think I'm gonna just polish out the paint that's on it, Snake-Fu the trim with Silver Sharpie, and build it up on a common reissue '70 Chevelle chassis, interior, and engine, and leave everything else intact in the box. (It's SO clean that if the paint stripped off cleanly, I could put the whole thing back on ebay as an unbuilt kit and double or triple my money, I'm sure.) This one rises VERY high on the To-Do list. Happy Happy Joy Joy! 

71Chevelle03.jpg.927ae6765005f4cd9884f19a1ef5d3a9.jpg

Edited by Snake45

10 minutes ago, Mike999 said:

A little of both, I guess. Thanks for asking.  I thought I would replace the broken rear bumper from the MPC kit, polish out the plastic and display it. It's molded in a bright yellow color.  Then I saw the warp and couldn't un-see it...

Did you see my idea about filling the depression and then doing a vinyl top? You could still polish the yellow plastic. B)

18 minutes ago, Snake45 said:

Did you see my idea about filling the depression and then doing a vinyl top? You could still polish the yellow plastic. B)

Saw it, thanks.  That's another possibility I'll look at, since I once owned a '71 with a vinyl top.  I'm probably a minority, but I really like the '71 and '72 GTOs. They look great with that aggressive Endura front end, twin hood scoops, etc.  I bought the '71 years ago in Los Angeles, from the original owner's kid. It had been sitting for a while and needed a little work. But once I sorted out the minor quirks, it was a great car. 

8 minutes ago, Mike999 said:

Saw it, thanks.  That's another possibility I'll look at, since I once owned a '71 with a vinyl top.  I'm probably a minority, but I really like the '71 and '72 GTOs. They look great with that aggressive Endura front end, twin hood scoops, etc.  I bought the '71 years ago in Los Angeles, from the original owner's kid. It had been sitting for a while and needed a little work. But once I sorted out the minor quirks, it was a great car. 

Very cool. I have a '72 glue bomb I bought years ago that I started converting to a '71. I've filled in the side vents, and I have the Modelhaus '71 parts for the conversion. I ought to get back to work on that thing. Maybe this year. 

1 hour ago, Snake45 said:

Three more I recently liberated from ePay. 

'70 Javelin. Been chasing these for years. Missing the A-pillars, but they're simple and look easy to fix. This one was definitely played with, and the top has a LOT of scratches that look like they're from gravel. The rest isn't perfect, but not too bad. I really like the color. Pretty sure I can bring it back from the dead. 

70Javelin02.jpg.b4cb6dbaffb0d4fc37a8d13c4b23f45a.jpg

70Javelin06.jpg.034eb259f95e392ca67343f7ff8cfebf.jpg

'69 Javelin, another one that has eluded me for years. Both A-pillars are bent/bowed, but not broken, and should be easily fixable. The left front tire is split, but I think I can fix that. Otherwise in VERY nice shape. It came with a foil sticker from some kind of Driver Ed Association on the trunk, which caused me some concern. I was able to VERY carefully peel it off without damaging the paint, and even was able to remove about 99% of the adhesive residue. There's still a couple tiny gobs of the stuff on there, which I'll have to experiment to see if I can get it off. I've learned the hard way that (at least) some promo paint is EXTREMELY fragile and won't hold up to even a light polish or rubbing alcohol. If I have to, I'll just live with it, because I LOVE this color. I paid the second highest price I have ever paid for ANY model car for it, and don't regret a cent of it. 

69Javelin01.jpg.bd79c6dbe298ab6274d3a686d982c9fe.jpg

69Javelin04.jpg.f29933e7f72bc15ac9a819a2903e5547.jpg

And yet another one I've been trying for forEVER, a '71 Chevelle. Would have been very happy with a restorable glue bomb or distressed promo, but this turns out to be an unbuilt kit that the only thing that's been done to it is the body has been painted in a very nice, very smooth, very shiny black. All kit parts seem to be present and many are still on the sprues, including both bumpers and the headlights. Decals have a slight tire mark. Got it for an astounding price for what it is, which could be because in the eBay pics, at first it looked like there was no chrome. You had to scroll all the way to the right of the pic slideshow and there at last was ONE shot that included the chrome sprue almost as an afterthought. I imagine many shoppers didn't look that far. My original plan when I bought it was to strip it and paint it '71 Copper, but now I think I'm gonna just polish out the paint that's on it, Snake-Fu the trim with Silver Sharpie, and build it up on a common reissue '70 Chevelle chassis, interior, and engine, and leave everything else intact in the box. (It's SO clean that if the paint stripped off cleanly, I could put the whole thing back on ebay as an unbuilt kit and double or triple my money, I'm sure.) This one rises VERY high on the To-Do list. Happy Happy Joy Joy! 

71Chevelle03.jpg.927ae6765005f4cd9884f19a1ef5d3a9.jpg

Nice scores snake. The a pillars are def a weak point on those Johan kits. Seen plenty with broken or slightly bowed a pillars

On order, from eBay, the complete chassis and engine from the current '60 Chevy pickup for five-and-change, plus a set of resin taillights for the '66 Skylark*. I want the chassis to extend the one I have to add the Open Road camper to it, or really extend it for the Racer's Wedge. Either way it'll get a 409 :D

(*The AAM kit has rectangular blobs molded into the bezels I'll have to drill out.)

I bought two from Amazon today.  I had been thinking about the Chevy Vega for a while, building something that doesn't have to follow a rulebook.

I got the Lockheed Vega so I could have something in the aircraft collection that is not military.  I may get some aftermarket decals and do Amelia Airhart's Vega. 

box.jpg

14 minutes ago, Lizard Racing said:

I bought two from Amazon today.  I had been thinking about the Chevy Vega for a while, building something that doesn't have to follow a rulebook.

I got the Lockheed Vega so I could have something in the aircraft collection that is not military.  I may get some aftermarket decals and do Amelia Airhart's Vega. 

box.jpg

Maybe kitbash the two and build a Chevy powered Lockheed Veaa funny plane...

Saturday at NNL West in Santa Clara

Fujimi 911 Carrera RSR Turbo kit

Studio 27 decal sheet for Ford GT #66 2019 Daytona 24 hrs (the white one with all the red stripes)

HRM GT40 Engine and detail kit

HRM 250GTO seat set

HRM Corvette Grand Sport Nassau hood

Clearly Scale ignition wire packs (blue and white)

(vendor threw in a set of 3D printed Weber carbs-gratis)

I was there either too early for deals or too late for full selection but am content.

Edited by The Junkman

5 hours ago, ChrisBcritter said:

^^^ Major cool on those - do they make a wagon? I had one 40 years ago:

myvw411a.jpg.bd2dd9df645cd645867a7d038817a75d.jpg

Only these 2 and the razor edge ghia mate. These have full interiors, front screen and a chassis too along with a small pe sheet for the badges, just needing the engines and wheels from the t3 vans. The ghia is a body and interior with bumpers but need a tamiya bug/ghia for the rest. I've only ever seen one of these (412) once when I was a little kid and remember being shocked the owner was putting the groceries in around the engine. I didn't know then that the engine was in the back, lol. Is that a roof rack on youre or did the wagon versiion have a ribbed roof?

Edited by stitchdup

On 1/27/2020 at 5:36 PM, Lizard Racing said:

Here's 48 photos of Amelia Earhart's Vega, from the Air & Space Museum. 

https://airandspace.si.edu/collection-objects/lockheed-vega-5b-amelia-earhart

Finally found an unmolested 65 GTO to replace the body I had. Vent window was cracked but I fixed it. And thanks to Mike999 for sending me the chassis, bumpers, tail lights and clear glass for my T-bird. Dash is on it's way. The bird is getting ready to fly. Or at least look a bit better. 

image4.jpeg

image3.jpeg

image2.jpeg

1 hour ago, ewetwo said:

Finally found an unmolested 65 GTO to replace the body I had. Vent window was cracked but I fixed it. And thanks to Mike999 for sending me the chassis, bumpers, tail lights and clear glass for my T-bird. Dash is on it's way. The bird is getting ready to fly. Or at least look a bit better. 

image4.jpeg

By coincidence, just yesterday I also received an old '65 GTO in this very box. The headlights are of course MUCH better than any reissue. The rear panel/bumper also appears to be better than the reissues, and the original taillights look and fit MUCH better than the reissues, although I was surprised to see they didn't include even a hint or attempt at the thin chrome strips of the real thing; they're plain, like a '65 Tempest or LeMans. Oh well. 

The body on mine is perfect and has never been painted, EXCEPT the top has been glued on badly. There's severe damage to the windshield top piece, and it looks like someone tried to pry the roof back off at the rear and broke part of the lower part off on the right side. This wouldn't be a big deal to fix except it's molded with a vinyl top texture, which I'd kinda like to use. Oh well, I'll figger out some way to improvise, adapt, and overcome. Might even replace the whole body with a new reissue one, or at least the windshield frame. We'll see what happens. 

Interestingly, most of the original kit custom parts seem to be here, which I don't believe have been included in the kit for some time. Maybe I'll build a custom on a common junk reissue body. 

I found the front and rear custom pieces in the box of parts I got a couple of years ago Snake. But no custom chrome pieces. I asked in an earlier post of the original body had sun visors and was told the originals did. Mine have the convertible top attached and they had taken the top of the windsheild frame off. So I didn't know if my original had them or not. That's why it's sat for 10 years. I didn't, and still don't, know how to fabricate or cast parts.

Edited by ewetwo

• ranma changed the title to Bought two totes with model's in them at the US 127 Garage sales:: here's what was inside of them...