Model Cars Magazine Forum

What did you get today? (Model Car Related Items)

2 hours ago, Can-Con said:

Hey Carl, before you open it you should do a post where people can try to guess what color it's molded in. ?

I have an unopen one on my shelf too, along with an unopen Olds Starfire. IIRC, I paid $15 a peice for them a few years ago.?

Scott bought it but those Johan kits are like the lottery on colors. I don’t like those loud colors myself like red well black either even with primer. Those Oldsmobile’s are nice. Aren’t you worried about tire burn friend?

3 minutes ago, slusher said:

Scott bought it but those Johan kits are like the lottery on colors. I don’t like those loud colors myself like red well black either even with primer. Those Oldsmobile’s are nice. Aren’t you worried about tire burn friend?

Oh, yeah, had to look back, looks like David Gurga was the original poster. Sorry guys, wasn't paying close enough attention. ?

But, no, I don't really worry about it that much.  

3 minutes ago, stitchdup said:

Just arrived. This is the second time I've bought this set as my upstairs neighbour stole the previous one of my doorstep.

A1vaI2d-YeL._AC_SX355_.jpg

We call those type of people "Porch Pirates". One method to deal with such people is to leave a decoy box on your door step for them to steal. Perhaps there is a dog in your neighborhood that could provide you with a little treasure for them to find when they open the stolen box.  

9 hours ago, ChrisBcritter said:

Jo-Han tires from the '70s, in my experience, are't as bad in that respect - the USA Oldies kits I built in that period don't seem to show any tire melt on the wheels.

I don't recall ever seeing tire melt on a JoHan. 

At the moment, I'm dealing with a JoHan promo where one of the tires just straight-up SPLIT, though. I think I can get it back together. If not, that model would look better with different tires anyway. B)

13 hours ago, ChrisBcritter said:

Jo-Han tires from the '70s, in my experience, are't as bad in that respect - the USA Oldies kits I built in that period don't seem to show any tire melt on the wheels.

Good to know Chris and Snake. I Have 2 old Revell 1955 chevy kits that have tire melt. Not too bad so I'm sure it can be repaired. 

Update - It was tan in color and 2 little arches melted into the windshield. 

Edited by ewetwo

2 hours ago, espo said:

We call those type of people "Porch Pirates". One method to deal with such people is to leave a decoy box on your door step for them to steal. Perhaps there is a dog in your neighborhood that could provide you with a little treasure for them to find when they open the stolen box.  

so using superglue on his front door lock wasn't the right thing to do? As it turns out he's in jail now for other offences (kidnap, assault and more) but there is a video on youtube of him getting his keister kicked by a kid when he tried to rob a local shop previously. heres the video

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-17377089/shop-robber-fought-off-with-sticky-tape

7 minutes ago, stitchdup said:

so using superglue on his front door lock wasn't the right thing to do? As it turns out he's in jail now for other offences (kidnap, assault and more) but there is a video on youtube of him getting his keister kicked by a kid when he tried to rob a local shop previously. heres the video

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-17377089/shop-robber-fought-off-with-sticky-tape

I like the super glue idea, but he might not connect it with his prior theft of your belongings. I 'm glad to see some justice is served here.  The clerk took a big chance. You Tube has many of these confrontation videos to see and they're funny to watch. Since this guy was guilty of so many other offensives its good to have him out of the neighborhood.   

On 4/1/2020 at 8:56 PM, jokar124 said:

Hey unclescott58, this is the book you're looking for:

IMG_20200401_214632947.jpg

IMG_20200401_214910065.jpg

I have the above book. I'm going to have to take another look at it. I didn't  remember the modeling of Parnelli Jones Mercury being in that book. I was sure it was in some other model car book. You more than likely have solved a mystery. Thanks Jose. 

In today's mail, AMT's 1/32 scale '32 Ford V-8 Coupe. A three window coupe no less. Which I like better than the five windows. Which with few exceptions, most '32 Ford coupe model kits are. I also like these AMT 1/32 scale, "Scale Star" kits in general. True they are simple, and not 1/25 scale. But, I like the subjects they picked back in mid-60's for this series. I hope Round 2 keeps going with them. I especially want to see the '40 Ford Sedan come back. 

IMG_3742.JPG

55 minutes ago, Roadrunner said:

I've been considering that same kit, Scott, but the roof looks kind of weird to me. Is the kit actually correct in that regard?

It is a little off. Maybe more than little. The kit in the box looks more correct than the box art shows. But, it's still not right. Mainly in the roof area. I can't pin down where I've seen the roofline before. I have seen on something, just not a '32 Ford. Even if it's not 100% correct, I still like the looks it. Maybe not as much I like the real '32 Ford roof. But, it ain't bad. 

IMG_3743.JPG

IMG_3744.JPG

Speaking of things being incorrect for AMT's 1/32 scale '32 Ford coupe. Check out the old comic book ad from the time the original kit came out. That second panel in the ad is very interesting. It shows a modified five window coupe with an exposed engine. And the ad goes on to talk about swapping parts between other kits in the series. Even the Avanti in panel one shows a headlamp setup not offered in the 1/32 version. The AMT 1/25 scale Avanti offered those headlamps as an option. But, not the 1/32 one. The first two panels seen to be mixing up the 1/25 scale kits with the 1/32. 

The panel showing the eight kits in the series, is interesting and correct. I love that Round 2 has now offered 6 of the 8. We're only missing the '40 Ford and "Indy "500" Winner". As I noted before, I hope Round 2 continues reissuing the whole series. Again, I especially want the '40. The Indy car doesn't thrill me. But, if they release it, I'll buy and build one. Got to have the complete collection after all. 

One last thing. I love the prices quoted for the kits in this ad. They are only 50 cents each. Back then, a regular 1/25 scale AMT kit went for anywhere from about $1.50 to $2.00. So these kits were quite a deal. In general they are still cheaper than the 1/25 scale kits. But, not by that much of a difference! It kind of makes wonder how they are determining how to set the prices on them? Though I'm not going to complain too much. I'm just happy to have these back and available. 

IMG_2208.JPG

Edited by unclescott58

2 hours ago, unclescott58 said:

But, it's still not right. Mainly in the roof area. I can't pin down where I've seen the roofline before. I have seen on something, just not a '32 Ford. 

IMG_3743.JPG

I've seen it somewhere, too. A Plymouth of similar vintage? Chevy, maybe? :unsure:

2 hours ago, unclescott58 said:

It is a little off. Maybe more than little. The kit in the box looks more correct than the box art shows. But, it's still not right. Mainly in the roof area. I can't pin down where I've seen the roofline before. I have seen on something, just not a '32 Ford. Even if it's not 100% correct, I still like the looks it. Maybe not as much I like the real '32 Ford roof. But, it ain't bad.

I think perhaps it's just a bit too squared off. That's kind of the way it looks to me anyway. I may well go ahead and snatch one anyway.

• ranma changed the title to Bought two totes with model's in them at the US 127 Garage sales:: here's what was inside of them...