Model Cars Magazine Forum

What did you get today? (Model Car Related Items)

For comparison, the PYRO '32 Ford coupe in 1/32 scale looks a lot better. PYRO designed its 1/32 scale kits by researching and measuring real cars, just like the bigger companies. PYRO also turned out a '34 Ford that looks right in 1/32 scale, something the big boys have never managed to do in 1/25.

pyro-32ford.jpg

Results of my latest eBay buying bender:

Orignal annual AMT '66 Riviera: The “new” AMT kit is superior in every way, but I have a soft spot for the annual, as it was one of my first two “real” car models. Engine's started and the wheels have been put on and it's been “set together” but no paint anywhere, and appears to be complete including nice box, instructions, decals, “vinyl” material, chassis screws, and clear display base (shown in the pic if you look closely). I plan to use some of the customizing parts on a common reissue '69, 'cause they look better than the '69 parts.

66RivieraNew01.jpg.8c391571d3e2c2e0b65dde8895b56b40.jpg

The next three came together in one “junkyard” deal, along with a late '70s Firebird of no particular note.

JoHan '74(?) Javelin AMX—Complete and intact, including engine with dual carbs. Truth to tell I'm not a fan of post-70 Javelins so I'll probably be using the chassis, engine, wheels/tires, and glass on a couple of '68-'70 Javelin resto projects I have to do. (Sorry, Dave Van.) The cool spoiler will DEFINITELY be used on something.

74JavelinAMX01.jpg.408599e26af86256fd0a68a1f9b097f0.jpg

74JavelinAMX04.jpg.a7f07e42eaa8fe18c390ee5009c1d03d.jpg

AMT '68 Cougar—Complete with factory engine and wheels, and the body looks good under what looks like very strippable paint. Oh yeah, it's missing the hood, front and rear end chrome, and front and rear valence pans, a big problem I'll have to sort out one way or another. Gonna be watching eBay for a heavily damaged (crushed roof? Hogged wheel wells?) CHEAP one with these pieces usable. OR I could try harvesting these parts from a common reissue MPC funny car. Plan C is to use '68 Cougar custom front and rear end pieces—I just happen to have a set, but am not really wild about them. We'll see what happens.

68CougarGB01.jpg.188fe6d5cf051633335815bd45249903.jpg

68CougarGB04.jpg.46789ba41d4e2a8a284cb1f8d258c879.jpg

Monogram (?) '73 (?) Corvette Wagon: Amazingly complete and looks very restorable. Can't be made stock as it never was, so it'll be an “it is what it is” situation. Some glue damage on the clear T-tops but I can live with painting them. The wagon back is growing on me, though I think it would look better with the windows filled in. Is this what became of the Tom Daniel California Vette molds?

73VetteCustom03.jpg.6c98ba00f3b0f085975d400c8173dc42.jpg

73VetteCustom04.jpg.3475cb5111f6594df3aaace3a6d7ad10.jpg

37 minutes ago, Snake45 said:

Orignal annual AMT '66 Riviera: The “new” AMT kit is superior in every way, but I have a soft spot for the annual, as it was one of my first two “real” car models. Engine's started and the wheels have been put on and it's been “set together” but no paint anywhere, and appears to be complete including nice box, instructions, decals, “vinyl” material, chassis screws, and clear display base (shown in the pic if you look closely). I plan to use some of the customizing parts on a common reissue '69, 'cause they look better than the '69 parts.

The next three came together in one “junkyard” deal, along with a late '70s Firebird of no particular note.

JoHan '74(?) Javelin AMX—Complete and intact, including engine with dual carbs. Truth to tell I'm not a fan of post-70 Javelins so I'll probably be using the chassis, engine, wheels/tires, and glass on a couple of '68-'70 Javelin resto projects I have to do. (Sorry, Dave Van.) The cool spoiler will DEFINITELY be used on something.

AMT '68 Cougar—Complete with factory engine and wheels, and the body looks good under what looks like very strippable paint. Oh yeah, it's missing the hood, front and rear end chrome, and front and rear valence pans, a big problem I'll have to sort out one way or another. Gonna be watching eBay for a heavily damaged (crushed roof? Hogged wheel wells?) CHEAP one with these pieces usable. OR I could try harvesting these parts from a common reissue MPC funny car. Plan C is to use '68 Cougar custom front and rear end pieces—I just happen to have a set, but am not really wild about them. We'll see what happens.

Monogram (?) '73 (?) Corvette Wagon: Amazingly complete and looks very restorable. Can't be made stock as it never was, so it'll be an “it is what it is” situation. Some glue damage on the clear T-tops but I can live with painting them. The wagon back is growing on me, though I think it would look better with the windows filled in. Is this what became of the Tom Daniel California Vette molds?

Nice scores there Snake. Check with Harts resin on some of those Cougar bits you need 

Normally not fan of anything large than 1/25 and 1/24 but this Mpc 1/20 Vette spoke to me. Had to perform a very quick minor resto on it - Re glued the front wheels, one tail lamp and one header and repaired a broken centrelink on the suspension and she's good to go

IMG_5967.JPG

IMG_5968.JPG

IMG_5969.JPG

IMG_5970.JPG

29 minutes ago, br67 said:

Normally not fan of anything large than 1/25 and 1/24 but this Mpc 1/20 Vette spoke to me. Had to perform a very quick minor resto on it - Re glued the front wheels, one tail lamp and one header and repaired a broken centrelink on the suspension and she's good to go

IMG_5968.JPG

Nice save! Model on! B)

1 hour ago, Snake45 said:

Looks like we've been looking at the same auctions, Snake. [no, I didn't bid, exchange rate's way too bad right now]

IIRC, the chrome from the funnycar will fit that Cougar. You might be able to use the hood too, not sure.

That Monogram Vette was in the catalog at the same time as the Daniels version. Only differences are the bits that glue on the outside. Body, chassis, engine etc. are identical. 

The chassis was later stretched and used under the 4 door "Corvette America" kit and then brought back to stock length and used under the '65 kits.

Edited by Can-Con

I learned about the ‘62 Fury convertible from Scott’s post

and lo and behold, what pops up on eBay for a very reasonable price...very gently glued together. I managed to pop the top off and lost only the very corners of the soft top and a tiny nick on the front edge. I’ve been wanting to do a convertible for a bit just to play with the interior more. 

1C8C14BA-310E-4AEC-A1A4-73BE9182B8E3.jpeg

1 minute ago, Erik Smith said:

I learned about the ‘62 Fury convertible from Scott’s post

and lo and behold, what pops up on eBay for a very reasonable price...very gently glued together. I managed to pop the top off and lost only the very corners of the soft top and a tiny nick on the front edge. I’ve been wanting to do a convertible for a bit just to play with the interior more. 

1C8C14BA-310E-4AEC-A1A4-73BE9182B8E3.jpeg

Erik i now have a convertible missing a top ? but i have a hardtop now so im very happy.

Edited by Scott8950

3 hours ago, Mike999 said:

For comparison, the PYRO '32 Ford coupe in 1/32 scale looks a lot better. PYRO designed its 1/32 scale kits by researching and measuring real cars, just like the bigger companies. PYRO also turned out a '34 Ford that looks right in 1/32 scale, something the big boys have never managed to do in 1/25.

pyro-32ford.jpg

The box art for the Pyro kit looks great. It would be fun to see the actual kit photographed along side the AMT kit to see how they compare.

By the way, was the above Pyro kit, something that was later reissued under the Lindberg brandname, like so mand other Pyro kits? If the price is right, it might be worth hunting one down. And doing that comparison myself. 

51 minutes ago, unclescott58 said:

The box art for the Pyro kit looks great. It would be fun to see the actual kit photographed along side the AMT kit to see how they compare.

By the way, was the above Pyro kit, something that was later reissued under the Lindberg brandname, like so mand other Pyro kits? If the price is right, it might be worth hunting one down. And doing that comparison myself. 

I don't believe the PYRO '32 Ford coupe was ever re-issued by Lindberg or anybody else. If so I'd like to know about it too.

That coupe seems pretty hard to find.  I just searched eBay, both current and completed listings.  None have been on eBay for the past month.

The good news is, if you can find one it will probably be cheap.  Even original PYRO 1/32 scale car kits that are 50+ years old don't sell for very much. Including the more rare and unusual vintage kits with engines, like the Mercer Toy Tonneau and Lozier Briarcliff. Last year I put several lots of PYRO 1/32 kits on eBay with reasonable starting bids.  None of them got a single bid.

10 minutes ago, Mike999 said:

I don't believe the PYRO '32 Ford coupe was ever re-issued by Lindberg or anybody else. If so I'd like to know about it too.

That coupe seems pretty hard to find.  I just searched eBay, both current and completed listings.  None have been on eBay for the past month.

The good news is, if you can find one it will probably be cheap.  Even original PYRO 1/32 scale car kits that are 50+ years old don't sell for very much. Including the more rare and unusual vintage kits with engines, like the Mercer Toy Tonneau and Lozier Briarcliff. Last year I put several lots of PYRO 1/32 kits on eBay with reasonable starting bids.  None of them got a single bid.

Yea, I too did a search on eBay, and found none. And doing a general search on the web, I think you maybe right Mike. I didn't see any other than actual Pyro versions either.

The trouble with searching for one on eBay, is I found a Pyro '30 Packard coupe instead. A kit I've been wanting for a long time. But, I didn't like the price being asked. They did have the option to make a counter offer. I made my offer. They didn't like it. But meet me in the middle. So, I bought it. I'm pretty happy with that find!

But, guess what else I found as was looking at the Packard? As noted, the Packard I bought was the coupe, not the more common phaeton kit. And the box art caught my eye. Which I'll have post when I get the actual kit. The drawing of the '30 Packard coupe roofline on the box, looks very similar the roofline on AMT's 1/32 '32 Ford coupe. Interesting. I'll be anxious to see the two cars and boxes together.

9 hours ago, Can-Con said:

Looks like we've been looking at the same auctions, Snake. [no, I didn't bid, exchange rate's way too bad right now]

IIRC, the chrome from the funnycar will fit that Cougar. You might be able to use the hood too, not sure.

That Monogram Vette was in the catalog at the same time as the Daniels version. Only differences are the bits that glue on the outside. Body, chassis, engine etc. are identical. 

The chassis was later stretched and used under the 4 door "Corvette America" kit and then brought back to stock length and used under the '65 kits.

I thought the engine looked like the one in the '65. B)

I thought this was a good score. Got all the important bits to build it stock and only has the custom front and rear panels glued in which should be easy enough to deal with. If anyway one has  a spare rear window louvre that we be a great addition

IMG_5974.JPG

IMG_5975.JPG

IMG_5976.JPG

IMG_5977.JPG

2 hours ago, br67 said:

I thought this was a good score. Got all the important bits to build it stock and only has the custom front and rear panels glued in which should be easy enough to deal with. If anyway one has  a spare rear window louvre that we be a great addition

IMG_5974.JPG

IMG_5975.JPG

IMG_5976.JPG

IMG_5977.JPG

Very nice find!

A few i have got in the last week or two.

The pro stock comet is unbuilt still in bags. The 62 Fury is still in bags. The Rambler is a fairly nice built up. 71 charger mpc annual with two tone color. i acquired 3 1961 comets and a 66 falcon rebuilder.

20200405_190350.jpg

20200405_190123.jpg

20200404_134820.jpg

Edited by Scott8950

Got some goodies this evening. Most of a '64 Caddy engine; will modify the trans into a Slim Jim Pontiac Roto Hydramatic as has been discussed on a couple threads. Anyone have a Revell parts pack Pontiac bellhousing?

14308485_64caddyengine.jpg.342904b1c5220599b28ab42935836cdb.jpg

Modelhaus wheelcovers for the '57 Roadmaster project:

2034483228_57buickwheelcovers.jpg.e071cc3fc00f330784e4cd0611100433.jpg

Craftsman '66 Skylark chassis for the AAM resin kit:

980400766_66skylarkchassis.jpg.eeca74987d19461be7dadd45fb4e39f3.jpg

And finally a cheeep deal on a rather "stanced" Revell '62 Chrysler Newport. Between this heap and the purple metallic one I got from Tom P. there should be enough pieces to complete a build:

1030909139_62chryslernewport1.jpg.6b73620a171ccd10e55fb284a7bd8596.jpg

179215905_62chryslernewport4.jpg.6b8875bbe892de5515948ed87b190b1a.jpg

I wonder if anyone's used the Jo-Han roof/glass to make this a Newport hardtop?

• ranma changed the title to Bought two totes with model's in them at the US 127 Garage sales:: here's what was inside of them...