Model Cars Magazine Forum

What did you get today? (Model Car Related Items)

Got four more models today. Two to be seen here. Two others to be seen in "What Did You Get" none car related models, in the Off Topic Lounge area.

The car related kits. One is MPC World War II Jeep reissued a couple of years ago. No big deal here. It brand new. Still wrapped in the plastic. The second model excites me a little more. It's a kit I've been wishing for Revell-Monogram would reissue for years now. Well, I've gotten tired of waiting, a found an original on eBay. (Actually I've tried buying ones in the on eBay in the past. But, always got out bid. Not this time. And I got it at a very good price.) That kit is Monogram's mid-70's Mercedes 450SL. 

The Mercedes came in perfect shape. Most of parts were off of their trees. But, the seller carefully packed each lose part in their own individual baggy! Everything is there, and as noted, in perfect shape. And I'm very impressed with how well the took care in sending me this kit. Wow! 

IMG_3753.JPG

IMG_3754.JPG

IMG_3755.JPG

55 minutes ago, my66s55 said:

I'm out of epoxy glue so I went on line last Friday and ordered 3 5 minute sets at $13.05 a pop and free shipping. They came today

IMG_20200406_143358071.thumb.jpg.f71d03d627c1f145ae6f518f0c41b33e.jpg

Three.. I see four?  That's a good price.. gonna have to see if I can find it.  BTW, I used to live in Debary.

7 minutes ago, keyser said:

Wonder what happened to the trailer the Jeep used to have? Single axle, issued once in Korean war guise? I have one and forget. 

VINTAGE MPC JEEP KOREAN CONFLICT STAFF CAR & TRAILER MODEL KIT ...

I've been looking for one of those trailers. 

52 minutes ago, Casey said:

Very cool, thanks! 

After seeing it, I'm wondering if it's really what I need. Especially at that price. Maybe I can scratchbuild something more like what I have in mind. But good lookin' out, anyway--I appreciate it! B)

On 4/6/2020 at 7:50 AM, Ace-Garageguy said:

Buncha stuff lately, mostly to fill in gaps for donors for other things.

Thing I'm most enthusiastic about though, is a full set of the 5 Tamiya engraving tips and bespoke handle.

Not cheap, but exactly what I'm lacking in tools to restart some hanging-fire builds.

[...]

I got the green size, one of the best investments I've made.

Friends got into the online business, got the Lancia for $35.  The 'Vette will sacrifice it's engine and drivetrain for a TR8.

IMG_2056_Fotor.jpg

40 minutes ago, Hotrod 97 said:

Ordered some supplies from Hobby Lobby. Krylon Foil spray paint, pointed craft swabs, a bottle of Gloss Black paint, and a bottle of Gunmetal paint.

20200407_205541.thumb.jpg.4950de891bfaa1c5dedb766ec696cbb9.jpg

I think you're gonna like that Krylon Foil. I hope you have as good luck with it as I did. B)

2 hours ago, ChrisBcritter said:

Snake, can that Foil paint be buffed if you lay on a good coat?

I didn't try, but I don't think so. Anytime I've tried to polish a silver paint in the past, I just get a dark gray mess.  I suspect this would be the same thing. If you want to buff something, use Metalizer. B)

3 hours ago, Snake45 said:

I didn't try, but I don't think so. Anytime I've tried to polish a silver paint in the past, I just get a dark gray mess.  I suspect this would be the same thing. If you want to buff something, use Metalizer. B)

My experience too.  It gives a great chrome look but does NOT like to be handled or washed.  Probably the best chrome in a can, but make sure you're all done with everything else before using.  Spax Stix in a rattle can is good for quickie chroming and is a bit more durable and doesn't mind light buffing.

22 minutes ago, hedotwo said:

My experience too.  It gives a great chrome look but does NOT like to be handled or washed.  Probably the best chrome in a can, but make sure you're all done with everything else before using.  Spax Stix in a rattle can is good for quickie chroming and is a bit more durable and doesn't mind light buffing.

I didn't find it to be particularly fragile. The bumpers/grilles I used it on held up well to normal handling and black-washing and so forth. 

I'd like to try Spaz-Stix but it's not in my area and it's expensive. Krylon foil is available at Hobby Lobby and the price isn't horrible. It's not perfect, but it's pretty darn good. 

• ranma changed the title to Bought two totes with model's in them at the US 127 Garage sales:: here's what was inside of them...